<$150 closed circumaural for a bass-hater?
Aug 31, 2009 at 4:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Sarah

100+ Head-Fier
OK, maybe I don't hate bass, but I seem to be very sensitive to it (heavy, thumping bass makes me feel agitated, it's very strange). So I think my preference may be a bit shy of neutral. I want to hear it but not feel it! I'm having a hard time finding many full-size closed cans that are not considered bassy by at least some reviewers. I even tried searching the forums for terms like "anemic" but it wasn't that helpful
wink.gif
I'd love to find something with good quality bass that goes nice and low, but is not too heavy - any time I read a review with words like "impact" or "slam" I cross it off my list! And of course the best possible quality along the rest of the frequency spectrum is desired.

I've been leaning towards the A700 as it it supposed to be pretty good SQ, very comfortable, inexpensive, and from reviews does not seem to be heavy on bass. Is there anything else I should be considering? These are for home use, not portable, and I have a small amp to run them with (Total Bithead).

Music genres are kind of all over the map - jazz, contemp. classical, rock, alt.country, avant garde, gospel, klezmer, uncategorizable...

I have a pair of Alessandro MS1s which I really enjoy, but I would also like a closed headphone for those times when I want to block out the neighbors a bit. I've been using IEMs for that purpose but after listening to the Alessandros for a while I realize how much better they are than my IEMs and I want to move up to something better for isolated home listening and keep the IEMs for portable use. Although, if there is a fantastic IEM out there in my price range that would be a big improvement over my Shure SCL4s and better than a closed phone in that price range, I would be open to that...

Aug 31, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #2 of 37
I think you'll like the JVC HA-DX3 then.

I actually get agitated as well by lots of bass and my neck muscles tense up. The DX3 is a very bright and detailed headphone. I would even say that it has more detail than my HD595 does.

Aug 31, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #3 of 37
Shure's SRH-840 springs to mind. There's bass, but in relatively "polite" quantities. And the price is right on the money.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 31, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #5 of 37
I've read a LOT about the SRH-840 because it seemed at first to be a good candidate for me, but I came to the conclusion that if so many people here think it has good bass, it will probably be too much for me.

I can't find a whole lot of info about the JVC HA-DX3, although the fact that they list "Super Bass" as one of the bullet points on Amazon makes me a bit leery.

How about the AKG 271? Nearly in my price range, maybe could stretch it...

Aug 31, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #6 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are lucky you can find an akg k701 for that price

Aren't those open... and double my budget?
confused_face_2.gif

Aug 31, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Music genres are kind of all over the map - jazz, contemp. classical, rock, alt.country, avant garde, gospel, klezmer, uncategorizable...

JVC HA-DX1 would fit the bill perfectly, the DX3 are said to have a tad more bass however those that have heard the DX3 say they are a bass shy.

I'd skip the SRH-840, people report very good bass impact with these so it isn't what you're looking for.

Aug 31, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #9 of 37
Its funny that I see the SRH840 recommended to bassheads as having killer bass, and now here to someone who wants the opposite. I don't doubt they're good cans, but you know its a FOTM when
rolleyes.gif

Aug 31, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #10 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'll be very happy with the K-271.

x2 on the K 271. Get the MK II version, since it has a detachable cable and velour pads.

Another possibility (FWIR): beyerdynamic DT 48. Not sure, but you could probably find some used ones around your budget.

Aug 31, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #11 of 37
8.35D monitors WITH the new pads is certainly recessed in bass. May not go super deep but deep enough.

450 Pros I doubt you would find are to bassy either. They are a bit better balanced I would say. But don´t offer much in term of isolation. A bit over the budget though but I tend to enjoy them more then the 8.35D monitors. I don´t really have a problem with bass but it gets a bit much start/stop for some genres with headphones that are to strong in that region
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 31, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by ktsai1283 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 on the K 271. Get the MK II version, since it has a detachable cable and velour pads.

Another possibility (FWIR): beyerdynamic DT 48. Not sure, but you could probably find some used ones around your budget.

I thought the K271 Studio also has detachable cable, but leather pads. Oh, and you can wear them like Putin.

PutinsAKGs.jpg

I mean, who doesn't want to look like that? K271S is on my list, if not just to try them on like that.

Another recommendation: A700s. Relatively, I find them bass-lite, and if your songs aren't particularly bass heavy (lots of drumming or bass beats), they shouldn't bother you much. Also, $100 price point.

Aug 31, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #13 of 37
That looks like Vladimir Putin

Aug 31, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by ktsai1283 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am liking the look of these the more I read about them. The velour pads would be a plus for me, I think.

And according to Headroom: "not quite slamming enough for most hip-hop, funk, or techno/electronica fans, but should do just fine if big heavy bass is not your thing" ... sounds like they could be speaking my language!

$165 shipped on Amazon is probably close enough to my budget. I suppose they are significantly better than the A700s?

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Sep 1, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #15 of 37

Users who are viewing this thread

Back