<$150 closed circumaural for a bass-hater?
Sep 1, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #16 of 37
I prefer the akg bass myself, over the bass on my thumping Equations. I find over done bass very distracting. I like the quantity of low and mid bass on the k240...there's more than enough of it, but not so much that it scrambles your brains like some other hps. FWIR the k271 is like a closed version of the 240, and it has less bass, so it should work well for you. Ebay often has good deals on used hps...new ones too.

Sep 1, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #17 of 37
I agree about the K271. However, the velour pads have more bass than the pleather pads. And if you don't want bass, then the pleathers probably sound more open, better treble extention as well. The velours tend to bring everything down, which to my ears is an improvement with the K271, but I like bass, and would sacrifice that last bit of treble extention for real bass.

Also, since the only difference between the old K271 and the new MKII is the velour pads, and detachable cable, you could get a used or probably new on ebay old silver K271 for under 100. And I think you'll love the bass. It is detailed, but light and airy, just the notes, not the boom

Sep 1, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #18 of 37
Sounds like those are the consensus then (a consensus? on head-fi?
eek.gif
). Unfortunately since yesterday they went up $10 on Amazon to $175 shipped, so I think I will sniff around and see if a cheaper price presents itself elsewhere.

Sep 1, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #19 of 37
Start a thread about the K271 being the best headphone below 200$ and see if there is a consensus
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #21 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't find a whole lot of info about the JVC HA-DX3, although the fact that they list "Super Bass" as one of the bullet points on Amazon makes me a bit leery.

The DX3 is definitely bass-shy compared to the two other JVC headphones (RX700 + RX900) that I've had in the past year. The DX3 can go extremely deep and is detailed but is not boomy by any means.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JVC HA-DX1 would fit the bill perfectly, the DX3 are said to have a tad more bass however those that have heard the DX3 say they are a bass shy.

One of these days I'll get my hands on a DX1 and take a listen.

Sep 1, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #22 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like those are the consensus then (a consensus? on head-fi?
eek.gif
). Unfortunately since yesterday they went up $10 on Amazon to $175 shipped, so I think I will sniff around and see if a cheaper price presents itself elsewhere.

I agree with rhythmdevils...look for the old k271 on ebay, not the mkII, and save yourself some money. You probably don't want the velour pads anyway.

Sep 1, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #23 of 37
Another option would be a pair of Ultrasone HFI 5xx or 6xx in which you stuff a bit of cotton wool to reduce the bass impact (search "Kees mod" for more information).

Sep 1, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #25 of 37
k271s has my vote for you....with the pleather there's a nice seal and the bass is accurate and not over-pronounced...also, my k271s has the detachable cable if it's an issue...this gives you an easy option for recable later...I ended up going to SAA and he sells the equinox that just plugs right in and your ready to go for, I think I paid 149.00 for the cable.

Good luck.

Sep 1, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #26 of 37
I would not look in the direction of srh840s or Ultrasones. Yet another vote for 271s. Overall a rather airy sounding closed headphones with ability to display pitches accurately. Might be right up your alley for the genres you mentioned.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 1, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #27 of 37
I just put in a "best offer" bid on eBay for a pair of the K271s... wish me luck
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 1, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #28 of 37
I'm kind of surprised that no one has suggested the Denon D1001's as a choice, many people consider them bass heavy, but I consider them quite balanced throughout the entire audio spectrum-street price usually under $90 USD. Or I would say the JVC DX1's for about street price $60USD. You don't have to spend a great deal of money to get good non-bass heavy sound. Happy Listening.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 1, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #29 of 37
.... Are you serious? D1001s? What on earth have you got for reference?!?
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 1, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #30 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhfactor1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm kind of surprised that no one has suggested the Denon D1001's as a choice, many people consider them bass heavy, but I consider them quite balanced throughout the entire audio spectrum

I think the D1001s are neither bass-light or circumaural, so it does not really surprise me that no one would suggest them...

The eBay seller with whom I submitted a bid counterbid at $239 for the K271s
confused_face.gif
Sheesh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back