$150-250 Closed Analytic Portable Headphones for DAP
Dec 28, 2010 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Nocturne

New Head-Fier
I'm pretty new here, having (somewhat inevitably) stumbled upon Head-Fi after researching the mid-high-end headphone market and subsequently lurking for the past few days.

Given that I am probably much, much less knowledgeable about this area than most of you, I was hoping I could get a few recommendations for something in the $150-250 range.

I'm looking for:
  1. Closed, around-the-ear/circumaural design.  Need it for isolation and privacy (I travel a lot and live in a dorm), and don't like having my ears compressed.
  2. Very clear, analytic sound, especially through the midrange
  3. Relatively flat frequency response, although some extra bass would be acceptable.
  4. Portable (e.g. decent build quality) and suited for DAPs.  Open to portable amps/DACs if the combined total is sub-$250 and quality is better than no amp/DAC.
  5. Comfortable.  E.g. I liked the feeling of the Bose QC15s (and the noise-cancellation), although I've read here that audio quality could be better for the money.  (I was originally looking for a noise-canceling pair but changed my mind since that seems to decrease overall audio quality from what I've read.)  Prefer something with extremely soft pads.
  6. Preferably from a well-established brand, e.g. Sennheiser or similar.  Flexible on this.

I mostly listen to upbeat progressive trance, electronica, and dance, with some classical and pop.  Probably about 50/50 instrumental/vocal.  My library is primarily 320k and ~220k VBR mp3s.  Overall primarily looking for crispness and clarity -- I want to hear details.  Ideas?

Thanks!

Edit:

After further research, I am mostly considering the following, by rough order of preference:
  1. Denon AHD2000
  2. Beyerdynamic DT 770 250 Ohm version and a portable amp like the FiiO E5 or similar
  3. Audio Technica ATH-M50
  4. Sennheiser HD 380 PRO
  5. Shure SRH840

Thoughts?

Feb 4, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
I'm pretty new here, having (somewhat inevitably) stumbled upon Head-Fi after researching the mid-high-end headphone market and subsequently lurking for the past few days.

Given that I am probably much, much less knowledgeable about this area than most of you, I was hoping I could get a few recommendations for something in the $150-250 range.

I'm looking for:
  1. Closed, around-the-ear/circumaural design.  Need it for isolation and privacy (I travel a lot and live in a dorm), and don't like having my ears compressed.
  2. Very clear, analytic sound, especially through the midrange
  3. Relatively flat frequency response, although some extra bass would be acceptable.
  4. Portable (e.g. decent build quality) and suited for DAPs.  Open to portable amps/DACs if the combined total is sub-$250 and quality is better than no amp/DAC.
  5. Comfortable.  E.g. I liked the feeling of the Bose QC15s (and the noise-cancellation), although I've read here that audio quality could be better for the money.  (I was originally looking for a noise-canceling pair but changed my mind since that seems to decrease overall audio quality from what I've read.)  Prefer something with extremely soft pads.
  6. Preferably from a well-established brand, e.g. Sennheiser or similar.  Flexible on this.

I mostly listen to upbeat progressive trance, electronica, and dance, with some classical and pop.  Probably about 50/50 instrumental/vocal.  My library is primarily 320k and ~220k VBR mp3s.  Overall primarily looking for crispness and clarity -- I want to hear details.  Ideas?

Thanks!

Edit:

After further research, I am mostly considering the following, by rough order of preference:
  1. Denon AHD2000
  2. Beyerdynamic DT 770 250 Ohm version and a portable amp like the FiiO E5 or similar
  3. Audio Technica ATH-M50
  4. Sennheiser HD 380 PRO
  5. Shure SRH840

Thoughts?

are the sennheiser HD 25-1-ii not supposed to have quite a clamping force?

Update: i posted and didnt consider the date :S my bad reviving an old post

Users who are viewing this thread

Back