15 phones compared in swedish hifi magazine
Dec 9, 2003 at 10:17 PM Post #31 of 37
Coming at things from a slightly different angle, what did they think of the Koss Pro3AA?

I tried these recently and really disliked them. If these guys gave the Pro3AA a good review then I'm less likely to trust them on other items.

Dec 9, 2003 at 10:28 PM Post #32 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by JensL
Yeah, the Grado-prices are really bad over here.

But, I think it's slightly wrong just to convert directly from Swedish Kroner to US Dollars.
There's more things to take into account, like salaries, general cost of living, taxes, health care etc.

My feeling is that an item costing $200 in both USA and Sweden,
might feel like it's more expensive for the American.

Hmm....kinda hard to explain...

:)

JL

A very popular option seems to be for Europeans to enjoy the health and other social benefits that reduce their out-of-pocket expenses, and then come to New York to spend their disposable income on electronics, computers, clothes, and other goodies. Seems like a pretty good arrangment to me!

Dec 10, 2003 at 12:35 AM Post #33 of 37
Thanks for posting all of these translations, JensL.

I'm not sure why some people were beating you up over it. The reviews may not come from a well-regarded source, but we English speakers wouldn't be able to judge for ourselves if you didn't make the effort to present the info to us.

Thanks again, I enjoyed reading.

--Chris

Dec 12, 2003 at 8:27 AM Post #34 of 37
For some reason this thread looks like the horoscope to me.
tongue.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 12, 2003 at 9:34 AM Post #35 of 37
thanks for the translation
smily_headphones1.gif

However, I'm gonna send a check to a swedish charity for broken ears. Those guys definitely need some medical assistance.

As reported earlier, the K301XTRA is perhaps one of the worse akg of the current line. And the list price is like 10€ less than the 240s, that are far better. And these cans are not "[...] varm and pleasant [...] (easy listening phone), but [...] also veiled and thick" as they say. The K301 are actually hollow sounding, making the music lifeless.

Dec 12, 2003 at 5:23 PM Post #36 of 37
Ok, got time for some more...

Here's some notes on The Koss Pro3AA Titanium :

- Called "Soft and pleasant"

- It kinda looks more like the UR-40 than the 4AA because of the titanium color.

- It fits just as good as it looks, but doesn't isolate as good as the 4AA or Bose TriPort.

- Even if the 3AA and 4AA looks similar, the sound is very different.

- The 3AA seems to be made for portable use. Not only because they are fairly sensitive (100dB), but also the "fat" bassy sound.

- The bass might be too much of the good in this case, as the 3AA got the warmest and most veiled sound. The straight opposite to the Grado SR80, and just too much for their ears.

- MP3s can actually sound quite good as the 3AA is very forgiving, but this is not necessarily a good thing.

- It's not very accurate, especially when compared to the cheaper AKG, Beyer and Sony.

- They feel that the Koss UR-40 is a better alternative than the 3AA.

- (Funny line at the end) "If you like the Koss-sound, you really should listen to Bose".

Not a very positive review.
I get a feeling that they don't like it much.

The grades (not to be taken too seriously):

Sound : 3 of 5
Comfort : 3 of 5
Sensitivity : 4 of 5 (100dB)
Bang for buck : 3 of 5

Price in Sweden : $215

Dec 12, 2003 at 6:03 PM Post #37 of 37
Ok, here some notes on the the Sony MDR-CD2000 :

- Called "Lovely luxury".

- They think of it as the "light-version" of the now discontinued flagship CD3000. Much is similar to the CD3000, especially the comfort. Even if the CD2000 is a closed phone, it's like a warm caress on the head. (One of the editors said (a little jokingly) that he'd rather wear it than not)

- The most comfortable phone, but nothing to jump around with.

- The similarities in sound compared to the CD580 are obvious, it's the same clearity, the same great drive and presence in sound.

- But the differences are much greater than the similarities. For the extra money, you get a more balanced and sophisticated headphone with precision and details that can compete with the best.

- The CD2000 got the same bass-feel and delicious transient-response as the CD580, but with much greater balance and control.

- The greatest difference is the phenomenal resolution and perfect control.

- The only criticism is that the sound can get a touch hard and cold when compared to the cheaper CD580.

- Overall one of the top phones, which also can be driven by a portable with no problems.

So, a very positive review. I will say.
I guess they like the Sony-Sound...:)

The grades :

Sound : 4+ of 5
Comfort 5+ of 5
Sensitivity : 5+ of 5 (106 dB)
Bang for buck : 4 of 5

Price in Sweden : $445

Users who are viewing this thread

Back