15 phones compared in swedish hifi magazine
Dec 6, 2003 at 1:40 AM Post #16 of 37
JensL: Please, never forget to mention the "XTRA", when referring to the new 55 Ohm model - unfortunately there is an older K301 (100 Ohm), too, which was not that great (but at least it didn't look as silly as the K301 XTRA...
wink.gif
).

There already seems to be enough confusion with the K240 series...
smily_headphones1.gif

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: Interesting post, btw - I don't really agree on "The Beyers need good amplification to be at their best.", though. First, this is a bit of a commonplace, because practically every good headphone will perfom best with good amplification - and then, the DT531 is not that demanding on an amp. It already works nicely with a PortaCorda, for example. And it's not that sensitive on amp output impedance, either - so it already performs quite well with a lot of integrated amps and receivers, too...

And in the spirit of Anders quoting Snake, the "tighter and more controlled bass" of the DT880 compared to the DT531 could also mean for others that the DT880 sounds thinnish and somewhat bodyless compared to the DT531. I'd definitely agree on the more fun vote for the DT531, though...

But just to wonder about the "great bass as it a closed phone" verdict for the K271S, which also seems to contradict the "Could also have need a fuller sound, more body." part later on... Here, I'd somewhat agree on the metallic highs, again - but I'd like to correct that to screechy upper mids, nevertheless.
wink.gif

All in all, quite a nice approach for pro mass headphone review, though...

Dec 6, 2003 at 4:24 AM Post #17 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by JensL
Double post...

Hey, how'd you do that??

Pretty funny about the Bose, BTW!
tongue.gif

Dec 6, 2003 at 4:32 AM Post #18 of 37
I certainly agree about their contention regarding the HD650. Also with the k271, if you feed that thing as much power as the HD600 needs, it reaches its full potential. The K271 sounded bad on portable gear and through a computer, making the DT250 still my #1 recommendation for computer users unamped.

Interesting perspective indeed.

Cheers,
Geek

Dec 6, 2003 at 7:56 AM Post #19 of 37
I am pleased they recommend the DT531. It really is worthy of the accolade, and I too prefer it to many more pricey cans I've heard. The only pricier can I have preferred thus far is the CD3000, and thats a lot more expensive and is much harder to "get it right" than the DT531.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 6, 2003 at 2:20 PM Post #20 of 37
JensL, Thanks for posting some information on Philips SBC HP1000. It is pleasing to see me that this can somehow be compared to HD650.
I live in Brazil then Is advantageous for I buy a Philips.

Thanks

Dec 6, 2003 at 6:25 PM Post #22 of 37
Well, here's some notes on the SR325 :

- Called "Souped up classic" or "Hotrodded classic"

- Grados are always trustworthy. Every Grado got the same looks, and same generous sound.

- The sound is very similar to the SR80, but the SR325 has a much more open stereo-separation with great details.

- Also, the SR325 got greater dynamics, a heavier bass, more body and warmth than the SR80.

- But still, they think it is too thin-sounding, too energetic and forward for their tastes.

- They love the looks and shape, but not how it feels on their heads. You've got to suffer for the looks (with humour).

- They're not quite sure if the SR325 is worth the extra cash over the SR80, even if it's a substantially better headphone.

All in all quite a positive review, the most negative issues are comfort and price.
Se below for prices.

Grades :

Sound : 4 of 5
Comfort : 2+ of 5
Sensitivity : 4 of 5 (98 dB)
Bang for bucks : 2 of 5

Price for SR325 in Sweden : $567
Price for SR80 in Sweden : $200

Ridiculous prices, right?
Even worse in Norway.

JL

Dec 6, 2003 at 6:40 PM Post #23 of 37
I bought the magazine today and have read the reviews, or rather 15 mini-reveiws with an introduction and a short conclusion. The introduction is very positive to headphone use, not looking at them as only an accessory and regarding headphones as possible highend components. I would like a more elaborate description of the testing procedure and what music they used for testing, but you often don't get this and it is not necessarily so that it has been something wrong with it. The only obvious mistake I found is that it seems that they have not discoverd that one can stretch the headband of the Grados (stretch it forcefully for a long time relaxation).
In those cases where I have heard the tested headphone I found the descriptions to be acceptable to good.
The ratings that Jens cited are evaluations of bang for bucks and only valid in relation to Swedish shop prices. You get another picture in Germany and much more so in USA.

Reading the review very clearly demonstrates the uselessness of ratings out of context, i.e. only a number of stars for each model and nothing else. For example the Bose get a decent rating for sound, but reading the text you can understand that it is colored but in a way that can be useful for portable and also that it is expensive in relation to sound quality.
As another example, Grado RS325, AKG K301 Xtra, Beyerdynamic DT531, Sony MDR CD580 and Philips HP890 get the same rating for sound, four stars. The Grado costs five times more than the Philips and gets a lousy rating for bang for the buck! If one has some experience of reading reviews it is easy to understand the differences between these, now I mean the sonic differences. I don't think that the Philips is something for me, it seems kind of overemphasized in the bass, a little diffuse and too nice and warm. But maybe for those who like an easy sound that is not without qualities.
You also understand that the Grado is direct, punshy, fast and forward and somewhat bright and thin. Maybe, not a good alternative at least for the classical listener where the AKG and Beyerdynamic seems to be more suitable.

The new Philips HP1000 gets a very good rating for sound, five stars, a half star more than HD600 and only passed by HD650 of the phones in this review. They say it has a well balanced and pleaseant sound, good in all aspecs but not best in any; good bass bottom, clear and warm midrange and clean and brilliant in the treble. The bang for bucks rating is excellent (evaluated from a price of $200 - 210 excl. VAT). Could be interesting too look up further!

Dec 6, 2003 at 8:20 PM Post #24 of 37
Steve999 comes out of posting retirement ever so briefly to say:

Thanks for the summaries of the Swedish magazine headphone review. I have greatly enjoyed the thread.
cool.gif

I'll vouch for the Sony MDR-CD580s. Balanced, enjoyable, very neutral sound and excellent comfort at a bargain basement price. With a very different sound from the Sony MDR-CD780s, the CD580s and CD780s make a wonderful dynamic duo of open headphones at a low price, IMHO.
smily_headphones1.gif

Since I like them so much, I am curious, exactly how did they describe the CD580s?

Quote:

Originally posted by Anders As another example, Grado RS325, AKG K301 Xtra, Beyerdynamic DT531, Sony MDR CD580 and Philips HP890 get the same rating for sound, four stars.

Dec 6, 2003 at 8:49 PM Post #25 of 37
Price for SR325 in Sweden : $567
Price for SR80 in Sweden : $200

Ridiculous prices, right?
Even worse in Norway.

JL [/B][/QUOTE]

OUCH! Here you can easily find an rs-1 within this price range! I definitely got a sense what the reviewer is talking about. I feel lucky to live in America
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2003 at 9:22 PM Post #26 of 37
Soon we have translated all reveiws!
biggrin.gif

OK, here is a summary. Comfort and bang for the buck are excellent.
"Despite that this headphone is closed, it feels like the more expensive Sony (CD2000) much like an open headphone - but the bass pressure reveals the contrary. In full measure, and CD580 delivers more bass pressure than both Grados (SR80, SR325) and both Philips headphones (HP890, HP1000). A heavy but fast bass with good punsh and drive. This is a phone that is swinging and precisely as the more expensive Sony it feels direct coupled to the music.
Not the cleanest, but very much sound one can joke (note: hard to translate). Furthermore, you get a much better sensitivity compared to the close competitors. But there is as you know no free lunch and certainly this headphone sounds not neutral at all with its overemphasised but powerfull "wrestlers bass". A headphone with built-in loudness that together with the highest sensitivity in the test, makes it suite perfectly for weak, portable devices. A musculous party phone with a lot of finesse! A real bargain!"

They write nothing about the midrange and treble so I think they have judged it as OK, either especially good or bad at the performance level.

Do you think this is an accurate description, Steve?

Dec 6, 2003 at 9:28 PM Post #27 of 37
Yeah, the Grado-prices are really bad over here.

But, I think it's slightly wrong just to convert directly from Swedish Kroner to US Dollars.
There's more things to take into account, like salaries, general cost of living, taxes, health care etc.

My feeling is that an item costing $200 in both USA and Sweden,
might feel like it's more expensive for the American.

Hmm....kinda hard to explain...

Anyways, the Grados definately are overpriced in Scandinavia.
A shame, really.

Beyers and Sennheisers are better value, compared to the US.
They better be, as they are made in Germany.

Thank Jebus for the possilibity to purchase from the US, though.
It has saved me quite a few Kroner...
:)

JL

Dec 6, 2003 at 9:41 PM Post #28 of 37
JensL: With the current dollar value Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser and AKG are a lot cheaper in the US compared to Sweden.

Dec 6, 2003 at 10:03 PM Post #29 of 37
MartinB: Yeah, the dollar has really taken a dive lately.

So even the german phones are way cheaper over the pond.

Hmm....isn't it strange that the Grados are still as expensive as they always been, even if the dollar have been reduced 20-30% the last year?
Well, in Norway they are, at least.

BTW, I just checked a couple of fairly respectable hifi shops here in Norway, and here's some prices, converted directly to USD:

- Grado SR60 : $195
- Grado SR80 : $254
- Grado SR125 : $374
- Grado SR225 : $523
- Grado SR325 : $672
- Grado RS1 : $1345
- Grado RA1 (Amp) : $785
- Koss PortaPro : $105
- Philips HP890 : $133
- Sennheiser HD280 Pro : ca. $210

Man, I'm starting to feel sorry for myself...
...no, wait...I haven't bought a single headphone here in Norway, yet I've got 5 or 6...
:)

JL

Dec 7, 2003 at 2:38 AM Post #30 of 37
Sounds about right.
wink.gif

I think the Sony MDR-CD580 is well-balanced overall, and to me the bass is just right, but that's just me. The mids and highs are just uncolored and extended to me. No pretty games, just laid flat out for you. Highs are fully extended, no question about it. The overall tonal balance is something like the Senn HD580s, but the mids are laid out on a plate for you, a bit forward, Sony-style, and there's no dip in the lower treble like with the Senn HD580s.

I agree very strongly with the "feeling," more subjective part of the review though.... the Sony CD580s "push," "drive," "swing," rock, groove, whatever you want to call it, these phones take your mind off the equipment and get your head into the music.
biggrin.gif

Thanks again!!!! I love reading about these reviews.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by Anders
OK, here is a summary. Comfort and bang for the buck are excellent.
"Despite that this headphone is closed, it feels like the more expensive Sony (CD2000) much like an open headphone - but the bass pressure reveals the contrary. In full measure, and CD580 delivers more bass pressure than both Grados (SR80, SR325) and both Philips headphones (HP890, HP1000). A heavy but fast bass with good punsh and drive. This is a phone that is swinging and precisely as the more expensive Sony it feels direct coupled to the music.
Not the cleanest, but very much sound one can joke (note: hard to translate). Furthermore, you get a much better sensitivity compared to the close competitors. But there is as you know no free lunch and certainly this headphone sounds not neutral at all with its overemphasised but powerfull "wrestlers bass". A headphone with built-in loudness that together with the highest sensitivity in the test, makes it suite perfectly for weak, portable devices. A musculous party phone with a lot of finesse! A real bargain!"

Do you think this is an accurate description, Steve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back