$130 to rip 100 CDs (plus shipping)
Jul 3, 2006 at 11:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

PinkFloyd

Headphoneus Supremus
This has got to be a joke right? http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...4036_mz006.htm

Lazy fat bugger
tongue.gif

Jul 3, 2006 at 12:50 PM Post #2 of 29
Hah, that was a pretty funny read. 10-15 minutes a CD!? that seems a little long, I usually get an average CD done in about 3 1/2 minutes.

Jul 3, 2006 at 1:53 PM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cjattwood
Hah, that was a pretty funny read. 10-15 minutes a CD!? that seems a little long, I usually get an average CD done in about 3 1/2 minutes.

Must not be ripping in Secure Mode.
icon10.gif

Jul 3, 2006 at 3:45 PM Post #5 of 29
For me it's 10 minutes minimum, and a lot more if the disc is in rough shape

Jul 3, 2006 at 4:20 PM Post #6 of 29
3 and a half minutes? I have a fast dual core, an SATA II CDROM, gobs of disk space, 2 gigs of ram, and it still can take 20-30 on a scratched CD. Perhaps 10 minutes on a good one. I would consider the time estimates about right in secure mode.

I find ripping easy enough to do while doing other things at work, although 1-2 dollars a CD, with all the same software settings, would be about right if I felt like doing it for others. I think half the cost would be just keeping track of stuff, and doing the mailing.

Jul 4, 2006 at 5:52 AM Post #8 of 29
10-15 minutes sounds right, if they're running a lot of paranoia/error correction on the rips. I always use it.

But $130? Oh man, that's a lot of money. I've still got more to rip, but I like to do 1-2 per day. Then it's not overwhelming and you can take the time to listen to each one.

Jul 4, 2006 at 6:17 AM Post #9 of 29
Although I'd prefer to rip my own CDs, I don't see the issue here.
$130/16hrs = $8.13 an hour.
If you're a businessman who earns substantially more than that, then the 16 hours of your time is wasted on ripping CDs unless it's an enjoyable experience for you.
I don't think it's something I'd ever pay to have done because I enjoy the whole thing, it's part of my audio hobby, but it's not unreasonable and it's not as ridiculous as some people seem to be making out.

Jul 4, 2006 at 7:13 AM Post #10 of 29
There are some ripping methods I cannot discuss here that I would charge $30 for a disc.

Heh, if you do lossless, I don't think paying $1 to get a cd ripped is bad. If you have a single core cpu, it is very much so possible your system will be lagged down. And I've had cd's that have taken hours because the condition on them is not so great.

I'll tell you this. The guys on these forums with 5000+ cd's don't have fun ripping their cd's. I am sure they would pay easily $1000 for all 5000 of there cd's to be ripped if they weren't already ripped... Of course, you'de need a few drives to put all thatm usic on.

Jul 4, 2006 at 3:47 PM Post #11 of 29
I've actually thought about starting such a "service". I'd pay my kids $5-8/hr to do the work. Everthing that got sent to me I would save lossless on a big RAID array. Eventually we wouldn't have to actually rip many of the CDs, we'd already have it on disk and just have to transcode to the customers desired format. And, just think of the library we'd end up creating for our own use
wink.gif

Of course there are probably enough people doing this now that it is too late to start another one. . .

To be honest, I don't see the point of using such a service. By the time you take the disks out of the jewel box, pack them for shipping, replace the CD's into the jewel box (after searching for the right one), load the music from the DVD they send you, would you really save much time? I don't think so. I suppose if everything was properly tagged, and included album art, it *might* be worth the cost. Maybe, but I don't think so. I'd rather do it myself so I know how it was done, and, there was no risk of loosing all my CD's in the mail. . .

Jul 4, 2006 at 3:49 PM Post #12 of 29
Some of the better services rip it straight to HD for you, you send them a blank HD and they rip it and return it without you having to load from a DVD.

At least, there's someone in the UK that does it.

Jul 4, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorjuggles
Some of the better services rip it straight to HD for you, you send them a blank HD and they rip it and return it without you having to load from a DVD.

That would save time for both the service provider and the customer.

Jul 4, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by dknightd
I've actually thought about starting such a "service". I'd pay my kids $5-8/hr to do the work. Everthing that got sent to me I would save lossless on a big RAID array. Eventually we wouldn't have to actually rip many of the CDs, we'd already have it on disk and just have to transcode to the customers desired format. And, just think of the library we'd end up creating for our own use
wink.gif

Of course there are probably enough people doing this now that it is too late to start another one. . .

To be honest, I don't see the point of using such a service. By the time you take the disks out of the jewel box, pack them for shipping, replace the CD's into the jewel box (after searching for the right one), load the music from the DVD they send you, would you really save much time? I don't think so. I suppose if everything was properly tagged, and included album art, it *might* be worth the cost. Maybe, but I don't think so. I'd rather do it myself so I know how it was done, and, there was no risk of loosing all my CD's in the mail. . .

1 word. Illegal. And I am pretty sure if you need 500 cd's ripped, packing them in a very large box and sending them out wouldn't see like such a big deal.

Jul 4, 2006 at 6:32 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Disiskurt
Must not be ripping in Secure Mode.
icon10.gif

ripping with dbpoweramp, into FLAC, with Accurate Rip enabled, takes about 3 1/2 minutes for an average disc. Ripping into MP3's takes longer, about twice as much, at about 6 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back