$130 to rip 100 CDs (plus shipping)
Jul 4, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #16 of 29
It depends a lot on your CD-reader as to how long it takes to rip, especially in EAC secure mode. The only reason I keep my six-year-old Plextor 1610A in my rig is that it rips at 20-30x in secure mode, chewing through CD's in a few minutes. My much more modern BenQ Lightscribe DVD-RW takes about twice as long (even though it's rated for a significantly higher CD read speed). Now my 2.4GHz Clawhammer is starting to look a bit long in the tooth, maybe it's Conroe time!
biggrin.gif

Jul 4, 2006 at 6:45 PM Post #17 of 29
Just a reminder...we don't discuss illegal copying on this site.

Jul 4, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
1 word. Illegal. And I am pretty sure if you need 500 cd's ripped, packing them in a very large box and sending them out wouldn't see like such a big deal.

Ilegal in that he kept a copy for himself. But think about for a second, lets say I had a copy of CD X by artist Y. I send it and another 249 CDs to "A Copy Company" to have them ripped into MP3 at 320 kbs.

Lets sat that "A Copy Company" has been doing this for a while and for sake of discussion they have the same taste of music as I do and it so happens they own original copies of the same 250 CDs I sent them. Lets further assume that since they are music lovers their own 250 CDs have alredy been ripped into one of their hard drives.

If they took the already ripped CDs and transfered it the hard drive I sent them what would be the issue. Both "A Copy Company" and I own originals of the 250 CDs which we bought at various CD Stores.

Jul 4, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #19 of 29
WOW. People are just too lazy now-a-days.
blink.gif

Jul 4, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
Ilegal in that he kept a copy for himself. But think about for a second, lets say I had a copy of CD X by artist Y. I send it and another 249 CDs to "A Copy Company" to have them ripped into MP3 at 320 kbs.

Lets sat that "A Copy Company" has been doing this for a while and for sake of discussion they have the same taste of music as I do and it so happens they own original copies of the same 250 CDs I sent them. Lets further assume that since they are music lovers their own 250 CDs have alredy been ripped into one of their hard drives.

If they took the already ripped CDs and transfered it the hard drive I sent them what would be the issue. Both "A Copy Company" and I own originals of the 250 CDs which we bought at various CD Stores.

That is not a problem, I am talking about creating a librray of music you don't own physical copies of (regardless of it's an digital copy bought from a digital music store or a cd.)

Jul 4, 2006 at 8:40 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

That is not a problem, I am talking about creating a librray of music you don't own physical copies of (regardless of it's an digital copy bought from a digital music store or a cd.)

Now I understand, and I agree.

Jul 4, 2006 at 9:11 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Now I understand, and I agree.

Also, what if a user wants a different bitrate version then you have? Unless you rip your music in like 10 different formats and 100 different bitrates, it's unlikely you'll have it unless they use something very generic like mp3 128 kbps or 192 kbps. It'de be awful if they were to transcode 128 kbps into 192 kbps. If they kept lossless on hand it'de be easy.

Seirously though, these services take a lot less time then you think. There are a lot of special machines that can take many many cd's at a time. If you hook a few hundred of those up to the Wintel datacentre computers my dad works with, you could probably rip a whole collection very quick, the longest parts would probably be setting up the ripping processes.

Jul 4, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Also, what if a user wants a different bitrate version then you have? Unless you rip your music in like 10 different formats and 100 different bitrates, it's unlikely you'll have it unless they use something very generic like mp3 128 kbps or 192 kbps. It'de be awful if they were to transcode 128 kbps into 192 kbps. If they kept lossless on hand it'de be easy.

Seirously though, these services take a lot less time then you think. There are a lot of special machines that can take many many cd's at a time. If you hook a few hundred of those up to the Wintel datacentre computers my dad works with, you could probably rip a whole collection very quick, the longest parts would probably be setting up the ripping processes.

I guess the best solution would be to rip in a losless format so then it can be converted to a lossy one. Yes, and after having converted over 1,300 CDs I wish I had one of those machines.
frown.gif

Jul 4, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

I guess the best solution would be to rip in a losless format so then it can be converted to a lossy one. Yes, and after having converted over 1,300 CDs I wish I had one of those machines.
frown.gif

I've ripped a hundred cd's (give or take a few tens of cds), and if you do the best possible rips with EAC, it can take a pretty long time sometimes, and it kills your resources from my experiences, you can't do much but rip at the same time, atleast for me, and I have a 3200+ venice (not a dual core..)
And I wish there was a setting where when you put a cd in, you have just one icon that says rip with EAC, and eac rips with all your settings and creates a cue setting and everything.

Jul 5, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #25 of 29
I've recently completed my personal ripping to Apple lossless (and now transcoding to FLAC with Max). The limiting factor in my experience is getting the metadata right (song, album, composer, album art, and so on), given how little consistency or quality control there is on CDDB. I once tried ripping 3 CDs in parallel (2 on the Mac with Max, 1 on a PC with EAC). Ripping went very quickly, but getting them sorted and imported into iTunes is a serial operation and the bottleneck. Of course, I am very obsessive about this, if you are less demanding, your mileage may vary.

Olive, a maker of high-end HDD jukeboxes, offers to rip your CDs for you into your unit as part of the base price.

Jul 8, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #28 of 29
gosh, i can just tell my dad to do it. He is trying hard to find things to do lately. Retiring at 50 can lead to a pretty boring life.................

Jul 8, 2006 at 5:47 AM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

I've ripped a hundred cd's (give or take a few tens of cds), and if you do the best possible rips with EAC, it can take a pretty long time sometimes, and it kills your resources from my experiences, you can't do much but rip at the same time, atleast for me, and I have a 3200+ venice (not a dual core..)
And I wish there was a setting where when you put a cd in, you have just one icon that says rip with EAC, and eac rips with all your settings and creates a cue setting and everything.

Well, the encoding sucks your CPU dry, but just set EAC to a lower priority, and you will be able to run your other programs like normal. Also, OC that proc, stat! Both Venice cores I've used got to 2.4GHz easily (i.e. no extra core voltage), and they were 3000+ models. Dual-core isn't much help for encoding, since AFAIK no audio encoders are multi-threaded at this point. You just want the highest clock speed and IPC possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back