13 years old, Now trying to find an amp! Headphones have been found!
Oct 20, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #31 of 392
My my, since I have signed off this thread has really grew. Quite fun to read, too. I've done some research.

NEW STANDARDS:
1. Open back, home use
2. Flat. Neutral. Flat and neutral.
3. doesn't have to look nice

Don't worry, I can control my budget. And yes, I am 13 and I am very 13 And will not turn 14 for sometime.

Quote:
I know this is somewhat irrelevant to the question being asked.. but does anyone else have a hard time believing this person is 13 years old considering the grammar being used?

That makes me feel warm inside. More so than anything my very Asian parents can say, lol.

Oct 20, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #32 of 392
open and neutral doesn't really exist at your price point.  But I think the closest you will find is the Fostex T50RP.  Just make sure you get the new version by buying them new at a reputable dealer.  Other than that, all the 100 dollar open headphones I can think of either have peaky treble or lack bass. 

But you may not actually want a flat headphone.  You might want some extra treble, in which case the MS1 is a great choice.  

Oct 21, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #33 of 392
I'll second the T50RP. Excellent sound for a low price especially when modified which isn't very difficult to do.

Oct 21, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #34 of 392
yeah you could also probably have someone on head-fi modify them for you down the road if you get hungry for an upgrade on your 15th birthday or something
evil_smiley.gif

j/k.  But they're supposed to sound great all stock.  You could also look for one used in the forums, and then you'd be able to sell it with minimal loss if it's not what you're looking for.

Oct 21, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #36 of 392

Quote:
Get the Skullcandy Hesh. SRH-840 sounds just as good, but not quite. SRH-840 isn't as good because the volume is too low  with my Ipod Shuffle.
I suggest a recable though to bring out the soundstage. You can get a fairly good one for around $240, buy they're easy to solder on.
I took mine in to have Uncle Ernie (he's an audiophile) do it and he only charged me $50

My mom grounded me though the next day because I used her credit card to pay him for it.
I had no money left over because I spent 2 summers mowing lawns to buy the cable.
Oh and my dog ran away

This made me LMAO.

Oct 21, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #37 of 392
whoever is telling him to get Portapro's is doing it wrong. He wants NEUTRAL cans. Don't get the Fostex either, it's not a very good "first" headphone. More something you'll appreciate after you heard other headphones. It is neutral though. But neutral can also sound boring to some. 

You could look into the Superlux HD668b. Check out the review overhere: http://www.headfonia.com/superlux-hd668b/

Don't let the price (<$50) fool you. This is an excellent headphone and a true audio-bargain. If you end up not liking it you won't feel too bad since it didn't break the bank. You can buy them over at Thomann.de, Feedback.nl, Ebay and probably some other places too. Google it! 

Oct 21, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #38 of 392
Hey, welcome! I am new as well... I was about to suggest the M50, but from your new requirements... maybe the Grado SR225?
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry, if I can't offer much more than that. Still trying to find my way around here too!

EDIT: On a second thought, Grado isn't neutral.

I like my Shure SRH840, since it is quite neutral... but those aren't open. :/

Oct 21, 2010 at 9:31 AM Post #39 of 392

Quote:
whoever is telling him to get Portapro's is doing it wrong. He wants NEUTRAL cans. Don't get the Fostex either, it's not a very good "first" headphone. More something you'll appreciate after you heard other headphones. It is neutral though. But neutral can also sound boring to some. 

You could look into the Superlux HD668b. Check out the review overhere: http://www.headfonia.com/superlux-hd668b/

Don't let the price (<$50) fool you. This is an excellent headphone and a true audio-bargain. If you end up not liking it you won't feel too bad since it didn't break the bank. You can buy them over at Thomann.de, Feedback.nl, Ebay and probably some other places too. Google it! 

Interesting, may consider

Ok, first of all I should probably tell you what I have or had:
1 Audio technica sj5
2 Sony MDR XD100
3 Those supercheap panasonic phones at <15 dollars
4 ifrogz dj headphones (gave to a friend who was moving, thank god!)
5 Skullcandy ink'd (technically my sister's)
6 various crappy earbuds
Sorted from favorite to least favorite.

I am considering (random order)
Sennheiser hd 555
AKG K240S
Superlux 668b (darn you)
Alessando MS1i (probably not though, very coloured headphones)
Fostex T50RP (maybe not, they're closed and orthrodynamic)

Anyway, thanks for all feedback. Makes me feel loved.

Oct 21, 2010 at 9:41 AM Post #40 of 392
My first Head-Fi ish headphones were MS1s at 15. They're pretty awesome. AD700s are pretty nice too, and since you're listening at home you don't have to worry about quite as many comments about your headphones being "huge and purple" 
cool.gif

I really don't think the MS1s are that colored. Forward souding, yes. But aside from that I think they sound pretty natural. (I think my sig explains well enough my views on that.)

Oct 21, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #41 of 392
I dont think he wants neutral cans, he thinks he does, but might not once he hears them. All cans suggested will be neutral compared to the lower end things he had. Having a pronounced color is different then lacking other colors.

Oct 21, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #42 of 392
Quote:

I am considering (random order)
Sennheiser hd 555
AKG K240S
Superlux 668b (darn you)
Alessando MS1i (probably not though, very coloured headphones)
Fostex T50RP (maybe not, they're closed and orthrodynamic)

The T50s are semi open but the soundstage is not as expansive as a truly open can. If you were going to get a good amp I'd definitely go for the T50s. They do sound decent out of a dap but don't really open up until you get an amp so Nega is probably right about that. Also why would you shy away from them because they're orthodynamic?

Do you have a Guitar Center or Best Buy close by? It would help if you could go and listen to some of the headphones they have there to get a good idea of the type of sound you're after. I remember thinking I wanted a bit more bass, mids were take them or leave them, and slightly exaggerated highs when I first started (you know, "fun" cans). However, after trying a lot of different cans I find that I prefer relatively flat bass, slightly elevated mids, and a little bit of a decreased treble.

Oct 21, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #43 of 392

Quote:
Quote:

The T50s are semi open but the soundstage is not as expansive as a truly open can. If you were going to get a good amp I'd definitely go for the T50s. They do sound decent out of a dap but don't really open up until you get an amp so Nega is probably right about that. Also why would you shy away from them because they're orthodynamic?

Do you have a Guitar Center or Best Buy close by? It would help if you could go and listen to some of the headphones they have there to get a good idea of the type of sound you're after. I remember thinking I wanted a bit more bass, mids were take them or leave them, and slightly exaggerated highs when I first started (you know, "fun" cans). However, after trying a lot of different cans I find that I prefer relatively flat bass, slightly elevated mids, and a little bit of a decreased treble.

They seem rather nice, but I would like a proper set of moving coil cans as my first step into audiophilism.

Quote:
My first Head-Fi ish headphones were MS1s at 15. They're pretty awesome. AD700s are pretty nice too, and since you're listening at home you don't have to worry about quite as many comments about your headphones being "huge and purple" 
cool.gif

I really don't think the MS1s are that colored. Forward souding, yes. But aside from that I think they sound pretty natural. (I think my sig explains well enough my views on that.)

I've read up on Grado. Doesn't seem to cooperate with music to my liking.
Ad700s look intresting.

Oct 21, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #44 of 392
Get some grade sr60i and impress yourself and your friends! Or...save up for some HD 25 I II, or look second hand here on the forums.

Oct 21, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #45 of 392

Quote:
They seem rather nice, but I would like a proper set of moving coil cans as my first step into audiophilism.

I've read up on Grado. Doesn't seem to cooperate with music to my liking.
Ad700s look intresting.

Of the two, neither are amazing at electronic, the AD700s are better with classical and the Grados are better with rock. Also, neither are bad at anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back