13 years old, Now trying to find an amp! Headphones have been found!
Oct 9, 2010 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 392

KuKuBuKu

500+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

New to all this stuff, please welcome me lol.

I found a somewhat old pioneer cassette deck and amp. Family has never used it. Don't know anything about it (will ask in another thread) and I'm trying to find some decent headphones for home listening, I listen to all kinds of different music, from Philip Glass to Daft Punk to Jimi Hendrix. I'll be happy with really any headphone/earbud/IEM, etc, but I don't want any noise cancelling/sound isolating headphones. I'd also like it to be durable (I built a gaming computer, may ragequit often), removable cables would be nice but not necessary. Please, nothing above 200 dollars.

BTW I think the sleek sa7 looks beyond shmexeh, but I cant get it
frown.gif

Oct 9, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #4 of 392
Get the Skullcandy Hesh. SRH-840 sounds just as good, but not quite. SRH-840 isn't as good because the volume is too low  with my Ipod Shuffle.
I suggest a recable though to bring out the soundstage. You can get a fairly good one for around $240, buy they're easy to solder on.
I took mine in to have Uncle Ernie (he's an audiophile) do it and he only charged me $50

My mom grounded me though the next day because I used her credit card to pay him for it.
I had no money left over because I spent 2 summers mowing lawns to buy the cable.
Oh and my dog ran away

Oct 10, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #5 of 392

Quote:
Get the Skullcandy Hesh.

definately not! I once owned a set ifrogz DJ headphones and that is absolutely the last time I'm ever going to own anything of the sort. I'm thinking of a nice set of Grados, or Beyerdynamic 990 pros

Oct 10, 2010 at 11:29 AM Post #6 of 392

Quote:
definately not! I once owned a set ifrogz DJ headphones and that is absolutely the last time I'm ever going to own anything of the sort. I'm thinking of a nice set of Grados, or Beyerdynamic 990 pros

Sorry, I wasn't serious!
I'd definitely look into the Shure SRH-440, 840 or Audio Technica ATH-M50.
The Creative Aurvana Live is also pretty good and it's only $70 or so.

Oct 10, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #7 of 392
Quote:
Get the Skullcandy Hesh. SRH-840 sounds just as good, but not quite. SRH-840 isn't as good because the volume is too low  with my Ipod Shuffle.
I suggest a recable though to bring out the soundstage. You can get a fairly good one for around $240, buy they're easy to solder on.
I took mine in to have Uncle Ernie (he's an audiophile) do it and he only charged me $50

My mom grounded me though the next day because I used her credit card to pay him for it.
I had no money left over because I spent 2 summers mowing lawns to buy the cable.
Oh and my dog ran away

WHAT THE F

Oh, you were joking. Phew.

@KuKuBuKu
Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your young and tender wallet. Get something and get out before your life force is drained by DACs and amplifiers. M50 is a good option, but there are others and if you don't mind going open you can get the HD 555 or a Beyer DT880, which are great for gaming.

Oct 10, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #9 of 392

Quote:
Dont get the M50's for gaming, you should go with an open headphone unless you need the sound blocking of a closed set

Why? There are many great closed-back headphones.

Oct 13, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #10 of 392
^Because an open headphone typically has an expansive and more 3D soundstage... at this price point, when I compare closed headphones to my lowly Koss PortaPro, they make it sound like I am in a cave, with reverberations and echoes crammed in a small space between my ears. Open and closed headphones may sound equally good in general, but when it comes to soundstage, the open headphone nearly always wins, except when it comes to Grado, that manages to  make an open headphone sound like a cramped shrill IEM with no bass due to the overly efficient treble reproduction.

OP: If your stereo has an EQ, I would get the Shure SRH-840, because of it's huge potential to handle bass. Using the EQ on my Cowon S9, I can really get it pounding, and have no audible distortion.

If you want an amazing soundstage like the one described above, get the Koss PortaPro on a budget, or the Audio Technica ATH AD-700 for an even more enveloping experience, minus some bass.

If you are able to get used to accuracy above all else, get the Etymotic Mc5 and call it a day, they are the most natural sounding IEMs. It also offers the best isolation of any other brand of earphone I know of.

Oct 17, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #12 of 392
+1 M50

Oct 17, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #13 of 392

Quote:
Dont get the M50's for gaming, you should go with an open headphone unless you need the sound blocking of a closed set

X2.  I liked my open $150 Grado SR225 about as much as my closed $800 D7000 and it absolutely killed my other 5 closed headphones in sound quality (including SRH840, D5000, etc. etc).  And my open $200 HD600 beat even the D7000 with the right amp. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back