12 Extremely Disappointing Facts About Popular Music
Jun 22, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #2 of 92
Jun 22, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #4 of 92
The following is case study in great music v. modern music specifically looking at lyrics.....

'Nuff said.

Jun 27, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #5 of 92
I wonder what it would be like if we lived in a society where musicians can only get paid, at best, $50,000 per year. You definitely wouldn't have anyone getting into it for the money. You'd just have the best musicians, the ones who care only about their craft, living humble lives and having more social influence than financial power. I suppose that wouldn't fix the industry's problem of massive consolidation and monopoly profits, though. 

Jun 27, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #6 of 92
People are stupid and they consume whatever is put in front of them.

Jun 27, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #8 of 92
Jun 29, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #13 of 92
Quote:

Thank you. Seems people like to turn a blind eye to all the music of past eras that didn't survive the ages. 20 years down the road people won't look back at the 2000s and praise the Biebers and Rihannas. They'll be praising the good music, the music people still care about, and comparing it to the pop music of their era, and asking "Why does music suck now?"

I can count myself lucky that I didn't get into music until a few years ago. I don't have this intense blinding nostalgia. At most it's only preferential for me (my overall favorite music era is probably the 90s, the era I grew up in).

A lot of the points of this article are pretty obvious. Any of the "sold more" ones, for example. How many more people buy music now? How much easier is it to buy that music?

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #14 of 92
Quote:
Thank you. Seems people like to turn a blind eye to all the music of past eras that didn't survive the ages. 20 years down the road people won't look back at the 2000s and praise the Biebers and Rihannas. They'll be praising the good music, the music people still care about, and comparing it to the pop music of their era, and asking "Why does music suck now?"

I can count myself lucky that I didn't get into music until a few years ago. I don't have this intense blinding nostalgia. At most it's only preferential for me (my overall favorite music era is probably the 90s, the era I grew up in).

A lot of the points of this article are pretty obvious. Any of the "sold more" ones, for example. How many more people buy music now? How much easier is it to buy that music?

I agree. People who listen to popular music in 10-20 years won't look back on today's popular music. However, music enthusiasts can always look back on the decade-old classics and find something valuable to listen to.

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #15 of 92
really you could just boil this down to a single fact though.  people like money a lot and they will sacrifice mostly anything to get it.  that's nothing new.  Record labels are of course constnatly looking for ways to tap into the youths brains and get them to buy this stuff.  Music is more accessible than ever before thanks to the internet as well, so it's not surprising if people are buying more pop stuff.  I dont really mind because while pop is maybe worse than it was previously, what would be unsignable artists before are allowed to have more freedom and able to craft more deeply personal music and actually get it out there to niche audiences

Users who are viewing this thread

Back