12/04/15 Seattle meet impressions
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 5, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #61 of 66
Taking Bob's comment further, I find that ALL players must be tweaked and dialed in for transparent and musical presentation with computer based files.

I was very happy with SQ of my PC with Jplay Mini and appropriate PC functions shut down. However I got sick, sicker, and sickest of driver issues -- uninstalling and installing drivers every time I wanted to try anything different usb-wise.

So when my wife got a new(er) iMac and gave me her "hand-me-down" iMac, I gave it a try. Now, a couple weeks later, I've got Audirvana+ dialed in, Mac & Apple functions adjusted for music playback, and I'm smiling. Transparency in spades, Yggy wringing gobs of information out of 16/44 rips, bigger differences between flawed recordings and gorgeous ones. (And no drivers needed!)

These players aren't plug n'play. IMO YMMV

Can't help you with the Mac thing. I do, however, run a dual boot on my PC with Linux (Ubuntu) so I know a little of what you are talking about. I need to get some player setup with Ubuntu and the one I am looking at is Audirvana. I hope the Linux and Mac versions are essentially the same. Eventually I want to downsize to a laptop running nothing but Linux if I can get this music side of it working well. My other option is Jriver, I run it on my PC but the new version of it keeps blowing up on me so I had to go back to the previous one. Maybe the Linux version is more stable thou, who knows.

Jan 6, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #62 of 66
Can't help you with the Mac thing. I do, however, run a dual boot on my PC with Linux (Ubuntu) so I know a little of what you are talking about. I need to get some player setup with Ubuntu and the one I am looking at is Audirvana. I hope the Linux and Mac versions are essentially the same. Eventually I want to downsize to a laptop running nothing but Linux if I can get this music side of it working well. My other option is Jriver, I run it on my PC but the new version of it keeps blowing up on me so I had to go back to the previous one. Maybe the Linux version is more stable thou, who knows.

You're over my head with Linux hpiper, but I've read about it here and there, including some of baldr's posts (Mike Moffat of Schiit). I think he likes it.

Come to a meet again. At every meet someone in the group seems to get their hands on new stuff way early. I think we were the first group anywhere to pass around the beautiful new massdrop Fostex, thanks to soundsgoodtome.

Jan 18, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #64 of 66
   Sonarworks was planning to do this for the meet but got a little tied up. Discount codes for their Software. I paid full price for my purchase of their Reference 3 Software.

SEATTLEHP-15 gives -15% on all Headphone Software

SEATTLESP-50 gives -50$ on speaker calibration software

This is not to be kept a secret, you can share the code.

Since I just picked up a pair of HD800's, I went ahead to purchase this software... Yet these codes have expired unfortunately. I did however find some coupons for 20% off that are confirmed as working... the following codes

7QAA4JZJT4 

and

6AY76PA446

20% off for both coupon codes. They are 1 week old from today. So I have no idea how long they will be good for.

Jan 18, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #65 of 66
Does anyone have the capability to make a profile for other headphones not listed in their support listing?

I would have loved to of done a profile for my HE560's yet they just sold the other day.

I would love to have a profile done for my HEX and my wife's PM3's

Seems they have a calibration package with a mic. I would think Atomicbob would know how to make a profile with his accurate mics.

Anyone want to care to chime in on this? It's too bad the database of profiles is so small.

there is another great eq I like to use...the paid version is neat, but havent purchased it.. "gentlemens edition"
http://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-nova-ge/

but try the free one! it's pretty good!

http://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-nova/

Apr 4, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #66 of 66
Just in case you guys didn't see it: http://www.head-fi.org/t/802044/portland-oregon-head-fi-meet-may-7th-9-30am-3-30-pm-mt-scott-community-center

Quote:
  Hey I would love to invite all of our Seattle neighbors but I was a bit scared that I would be spamming them.

Maybe a seattle invite is in order. 

Mt Scott Community Center and Pool
5530 SE 72nd Ave

Map:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mt+Scott+Community+Center+%26+Indoor+Pool/@45.4822938,-122.5907121,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x5495a019ed7dc449:0xa0c6796651370431

Time:

Saturday May 7th, 2016

9:30am - 3:30pm

We have the room from 9am to 4pm, but we have to be out of the room promptly at 4pm with all the tables put away.  I'll be there at 8:30 am to set up etc.

Cost:

$10 P/person to cover room fees.  

--------

There will be an auction of donated gear to support the meet, list will be available shortly.

The room accommodates up to 250 ppl, the more the better!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back