12/04/15 Seattle meet impressions
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 6, 2015 at 8:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

BIG POPPA

Headphoneus Supremus
Anderson school is awesome. The venue was great too. And we got to listen to new gear. More impressions later. We are at the Lagoon

Dec 7, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #4 of 66
I bought the KEF M500 at the California Audio Show because the initial impressions were good, the build quality excellent and the offer of a special show price.
Brought them to the meet sealed. Opened the box and gave them a listen at several stations. All good, even without a lot of time on them.

Dec 7, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #5 of 66
  http://www.head-fi.org/t/729774/suspension-strap-for-audeze-hifiman-mad-dog-alpha-dog-paradox-fostex-t50-rp-modders

I am going to order the excellent Lohb Suspension Strap for my Audeze LCD-2.2. I need to find a source for the longer aftermarket rods as well. Those are part of the yoke assembly.

@Muziqboy's LCD2.2 setup was impressively comfortable with the straps and the new Audeze vegan pillow pads. I will be doing the same thing as they absolutely solved the LCD comfort issue. They were almost Ether like in comfort.

However, if you read the notes, they say that "if your rods are already fully extended that you will likely need an extended yoke" - there is a chance that you will not. Mine are only half way extended when worn. I will try the straps first to see if they work as is before doing the rods as well. Muziqboy did mention that it took him quite a while to receive his straps when he ordered his so best to get the order in right away.

Even more impressive was how well Muziqboy's setup paired with the LCD2.2. I don't think I have ever heard the LCD2.2 sound so good.

@Muziqboy can you give us a run down of your equipment again?

Dec 7, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #6 of 66

Meet Impressions:

• Best LCD Setup: Muziqboy had both the LCD2.2 modded for comfort and the equipment optimized to bring the most out of the LCD2.2. I have not heard it sound better, ever. However, the comfort of the suspension straps and the vegan pillow pads upgrade was outrageous coming close to the Ether level comfort I was boasting about at RMAF. Great job Muziqboy! I am now inspired to work on my LCD2.2 again.
  • Best Modded HD800 Ever!!!: LCD2.2s vs. HD800s back to back on @Hi-Phi 's Dark Star - @johnjen 's modded HD800's bass rattled my brain and made my LCDs wet their pants. I have not heard anything like this and feel that the optimized setup it in the exotic range or above. Great job JJ!!! Now I have to admit that he was cheating with some system magic that I cannot separate from the physical mods including a phase reversal trick, the "Sonors" (spell?) filter, etc, but the end result is stunning. JJ claims that it is even better on his home setup which I cannot even imagine. JJ gets the award for best overall sound at the show.
  • V2+: Was excited to hear Michael's @miceblue new V2+ which he only got in the day before and has not had time to optimize. Unfortunately, I was only able to hear it single ended which failed to impress with all the exotic equipment surrounding it. It was lacking volume vs. my V2 720 which can blow my ears out which added to the problem. I hope to get another chance next time in balanced mode and optimized to hear what it can really do.
  • Cavalli Lineup: @atomicbob graced us with an impressive lineup of Cavalli amps including his new Liquid Carbon and new Liquid Crimson. We also had an earlier version of the Liquid Crimson next to it for comparison. Overall, these hybrid amps provided a huge audiophile sound stage that is end game and very rich. While the LC was awesome as I remembered at RMAF, it really stood in the shadows of its big brother Crimson that was outrageously good. 
  • The New TH-XOO: Andrew, @Soundsgoodtome stepped up and got a demo X00 in time for the meet so we can all see what we are waiting for in the mail. And I have to say that it impresses. I was worried at first having heard the Dennon D5000 which is supposed to be a comparable and it was sounding somewhat pedestrian to me. However, when I finally got to hear the XOO on Andrew's setup, all worries were gone. It has a nice flat response with glorious mids and welcome bass response - even driven by my AK100ii DAP directly. I put on my basshead song with the AK and was rewarded with ungodly bass quantity, and good quality too. This will be a fun headphone to say the least, and it is different enough from my LCD to make it a fun addition. I didn't get a chance to see how it scales on other gear, but was happy on both my AK and Andrew's setup. Now, I should say that Andrew's setup is always spectacular with an ease of power and SQ with full sized sound stage. While the setups are always different, they are always good. I enlisted Andrew to help me with mine. 
  • Norne Audio Cables: Thank you Tim @bimmer100 for introducing me to Norne cables. Tim brought an assortment for all of us to try which I focused on my HD700 with the goal to go balanced to work with my desktop balanced only setup. Boy, the $300 stock Sennheiser cables were really holding the HD700 back. It is now on a whole new level and my favorite HP beating out my LCDs. I am still trying to get my head wrapped around what happened as the detail level went up from an 8 to a 15, sound stage went from an 8 to a 12 with a more 3D accuracy, and bass got a lift in quality and quantity. My library is new again with this very different headphone. I got the Solv silver and so far have only listened on my tour X7, but wow did it scale what was good to what is now extraordinary. The cable shouldn't do this because it also have a Norne balanced to single ended adapter playing only single ended - but a high quality hybrid silver litz and copper litz setup. But worse, it is further hampered by a grado full sized to 3.5 adapter to go to the X7. Shouldn't that ruin the sound? It doesn't and the new cable quality shows through causing me to lose about 4 hours of sleep last night. Going to have to try the Audeze cables next meet!!! So yes, I absolutely bought the cable and the adapter from Norne.

LCD Setup:

Cavalli Lineup:

Dec 7, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #7 of 66
The most impressive aspect of this meet for me was how every rig present had exceptional synergy to offer. Refinements over the years have produced so many excellent sounding systems. While differences existed, any system could have been a station to stop and listen for the entire afternoon. I did miss out on hearing the Dark Star setup. Would like to have heard that. Maybe next time.

many thanks to Gil and all those that schlepped their respective rigs for us to hear.

Dec 7, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #8 of 66
Dec 7, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #10 of 66
  @Muziqboy's LCD2.2 setup was impressively comfortable with the straps and the new Audeze vegan pillow pads. I will be doing the same thing as they absolutely solved the LCD comfort issue. They were almost Ether like in comfort.

However, if you read the notes, they say that "if your rods are already fully extended that you will likely need an extended yoke" - there is a chance that you will not. Mine are only half way extended when worn. I will try the straps first to see if they work as is before doing the rods as well. Muziqboy did mention that it took him quite a while to receive his straps when he ordered his so best to get the order in right away.

Even more impressive was how well Muziqboy's setup paired with the LCD2.2. I don't think I have ever heard the LCD2.2 sound so good.

@Barra I am glad that you enjoyed the LCD set-up. Like you, I had an issue before with the LCD's weight. I could not stand wearing it for more than an hour so I searched the forums until I stumbled upon Lohb's link and told myself that I have got to do this if I am going to keep on listening to the LCD's.

On the equipment side, here is a complete rundown:

>JRiver MC20 installed on Intel NUC portable PC playing 16/44.1 wav/flac files.

>USB 3.0 cable from NUC to iFi Micro iUSB 3.0

>iFi Mercury USB cable with iPurifier into Melodious MX-U8 USB to Spdif converter (upgraded with Crystek clocks, Audio Horizon Platinum fuse, WA Quantum fuse, capacitor and transformer chips)

>DH Labs Silver Sonic AES/EBU digital cable from Melodious into AES/EBU input of Theta Gen Va dac (upgraded with Audio Horizon Platinum fuse, WA Quantum fuse and capacitor chips)

>Transparent Audio Musiclink Plus interconnects from Theta into input of Decware Zen Taboo MKIII amp (upgraded with Audio Horizon Platinum fuse, WA Quantum fuse and transformer chips)

>4pin balanced Moon Audio Silver Dragon headphone cable from Taboo to LCD2.2
>4pin balanced Norne Audio Reign24 headphone cable from Taboo to HD800

All equipment uses Maze Audio Ref4 10ga. AC power cables with furutech Carbon Rhodium plugs.
Decware Tube combination:

Input - '75 Reflektor Holy Grail SWGP Silver Shields (6922, 6dj8)
Power - Matched and Cryoed SV83's (EL84)
Rectifier - Western Electric 422a (5u4g, 274b)

The Taboo amp is very transparent and it instantly reacts to tube rolling and that's why I like it a lot. Does not sound tubey at all. I can make it sound as warm or as neutral as I like with a simple tube swap of the rectifier tube.
The tube compliment above is geared for neutrality.

Dec 7, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #11 of 66

@Barra I am glad that you enjoyed the LCD set-up. Like you, I had an issue before with the LCD's weight. I could not stand wearing it for more than an hour so I searched the forums until I stumbled upon Lohb's link and told myself that I have got to do this if I am going to keep on listening to the LCD's.

On the equipment side, here is a complete rundown:

>JRiver MC20 installed on Intel NUC portable PC playing 16/44.1 wav/flac files.

>USB 3.0 cable from NUC to iFi Micro iUSB 3.0

>iFi Mercury USB cable with iPurifier into Melodious MX-U8 USB to Spdif converter (upgraded with Crystek clocks, Audio Horizon Platinum fuse, WA Quantum fuse, capacitor and transformer chips)

>DH Labs Silver Sonic AES/EBU digital cable from Melodious into AES/EBU input of Theta Gen Va dac (upgraded with Audio Horizon Platinum fuse, WA Quantum fuse and capacitor chips)

>Transparent Audio Musiclink Plus interconnects from Theta into input of Decware Zen Taboo MKIII amp (upgraded with Audio Horizon Platinum fuse, WA Quantum fuse and transformer chips)

>4pin balanced Moon Audio Silver Dragon headphone cable from Taboo to LCD2.2
>4pin balanced Norne Audio Reign24 headphone cable from Taboo to HD800

All equipment uses Maze Audio Ref4 10ga. AC power cables with furutech Carbon Rhodium plugs.
Decware Tube combination:

Input - '75 Reflektor Holy Grail SWGP Silver Shields (6922, 6dj8)
Power - Matched and Cryoed SV83's (EL84)
Rectifier - Western Electric 422a (5u4g, 274b)

The Taboo amp is very transparent and it instantly reacts to tube rolling and that's why I like it a lot. Does not sound tubey at all. I can make it sound as warm or as neutral as I like with a simple tube swap of the rectifier tube.
The tube compliment above is geared for neutrality.

Wow, a lot more complex than I had even imagined. You are obviously a Head-Fier sir!

Dec 7, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #12 of 66
  Thanks Muziqboy

Your welcome. I am sure that after all this 'comfort mod', you will be enjoying and appreciating your LCD's a lot more.

Dec 8, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #13 of 66
 Sonarworks was planning to do this for the meet but got a little tied up. Discount codes for their Software. I paid full price for my purchase of their Reference 3 Software.

SEATTLEHP-15 gives -15% on all Headphone Software

SEATTLESP-50 gives -50$ on speaker calibration software

This is not to be kept a secret, you can share the code.

Dec 8, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #15 of 66
Perfect timing, thanks! Was John (JohnJen) using a particular version of Sonarworks at the meet? 

Yeah mine..... It is the current one on the site. JohnJen, atomicbob, muziqboy, and I use Sonarworks. By next meet, I bet there will be more. It will be standard issue like the Schiit Wyrd. Two things necessary for a great digital rig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back