11 New Sony BA IEMs
Apr 2, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #782 of 845

Quote:
Sony DAPs are terrible with XBA-4, at least for me. X, Z, S, whatever. All of them sounds so wrong with XBA-4.

Sonds great with Cowon, iPods, Clip and Fuze.

Sony just shot themselves in the foot?

Apr 2, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #783 of 845
It seems that XBA series are designed in such way to get the bass "boost" from the EQ/Settings. Other then that, yeah they've pretty much shot themselves in the foot.

Of course, this is just my opinion, it's not a fact or anything haha. You can give it a try and post how it goes, would be interesting how other member feels about XBA x Sony DAP combo. I personally didn't like it.

Apr 2, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #784 of 845

Quote:
Sony DAPs are terrible with XBA-4, at least for me. X, Z, S, whatever. All of them sounds so wrong with XBA-4.

Yes , xba-4 sounds great with Cowon J3, and impressed with the way it sounded out of my clip zip as well. 

Apr 2, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #786 of 845

Quote:

Really? Well, I have only Walkmans left however, so can't test with an iPod. Maybe I will borrow my friend's zen or an iPod and test it out again. 

Apr 26, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #787 of 845
At Sony, each department/function has to compete with each other on performance and sales. It's each product line for itself. The earphones department makes its products with its own sales in mind, and not how much their products synergizes/helps the other departments, or the corporation as a whole. They might as well be separate business entities tied under the same Sony brand name.

The XBA series is very obviously designed with iPhones and iPods in mind. It's a consumer-oriented series, unlike the EX line. And who has the largest portable DAP market share in the world? It's not Sony.
Quote:
Sony just shot themselves in the foot?

Point is, there is no Sony shooting themselves in the foot. The headphones division is just trying to generate the most sales. Same with the TV division, gaming division, etc etc. Sony IEMs in the past just happen to synergize well with Sony DAPs because that was their business model/sound philosophy at the time.

Apr 26, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #788 of 845
Hey everyone.  Now that it is summer and I am wearing sunglasses a lot more, I am switching from my on-ears to some IEMs or good ear buds (smaller head, feel overwhelmed with both sunglasses and on-ears!).  I currently have the Klipsch s4i to use with my iphone (my main source of prtable music).  They sound pretty good but I kinda want something different,  The sony IEMs spark my interest.  Are they generally pretty well accepted here by the true audiphiles or audio-pros?  I am not looking to get anything with multiple drivers - I have some UE Triple-fi 10s that I don't use because they are too big for my ears and pretty uncomfortable (however, when I can get a good seal they do sound amazing). 

I am think the single driver balanced armatures are going to be okay for everyday use (XBA-1iP) but wanted to know if anyone could chime in on these compared to the Klipsch I already have, the dual driver Sony IEMs and any otherrecommendations.  i have already spent some much $ on on/over earphones that I am reluctant to spend too much).  Another pair I have been considering are the etymontic H3's w/ mic.

Anyone care to help?  I have relatively small ear canals so sometimes buds can become uncomfortable so I take that into consideration.  The Klipsch have been ok though.  Thx in advance.

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #789 of 845

Quote:
Hey everyone.  Now that it is summer and I am wearing sunglasses a lot more, I am switching from my on-ears to some IEMs or good ear buds (smaller head, feel overwhelmed with both sunglasses and on-ears!).  I currently have the Klipsch s4i to use with my iphone (my main source of prtable music).  They sound pretty good but I kinda want something different,  The sony IEMs spark my interest.  Are they generally pretty well accepted here by the true audiphiles or audio-pros?  I am not looking to get anything with multiple drivers - I have some UE Triple-fi 10s that I don't use because they are too big for my ears and pretty uncomfortable (however, when I can get a good seal they do sound amazing). 

I am think the single driver balanced armatures are going to be okay for everyday use (XBA-1iP) but wanted to know if anyone could chime in on these compared to the Klipsch I already have, the dual driver Sony IEMs and any otherrecommendations.  i have already spent some much $ on on/over earphones that I am reluctant to spend too much).  Another pair I have been considering are the etymontic H3's w/ mic.

Anyone care to help?  I have relatively small ear canals so sometimes buds can become uncomfortable so I take that into consideration.  The Klipsch have been ok though.  Thx in advance.

Get the triple fi's reshelled into customs?

Apr 26, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #790 of 845
Sooooo......
What music genre would we say the ba-4's fit best, vs, the genres best suited for the 3's?

I listen to a GREAT deal of classical and jazz music, and clarity,(without the harsh), tends to rule my world more than "booming" does.

Trying to sort through opinions and it sounds like one could go either way.
Subjectivity is just SOOO TRICKY! 
rolleyes.gif

Oh, and BTW;
anybody purchase from Microcad before?
They are offering the best prices I can find but I am cautious enough to field input, if there's any to be had.....
wink.gif

Apr 27, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #791 of 845

Quote:

The part in blue, for the XBA series, not really.  For the Sony EX600/EX800ST/EX1000, yes.  If you want to save money, Vsonic R04.

Apr 27, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #792 of 845

At Sony, each department/function has to compete with each other on performance and sales. It's each product line for itself. The earphones department makes its products with its own sales in mind, and not how much their products synergizes/helps the other departments, or the corporation as a whole. They might as well be separate business entities tied under the same Sony brand name.

The XBA series is very obviously designed with iPhones and iPods in mind. It's a consumer-oriented series, unlike the EX line. And who has the largest portable DAP market share in the world? It's not Sony.

Point is, there is no Sony shooting themselves in the foot. The headphones division is just trying to generate the most sales. Same with the TV division, gaming division, etc etc. Sony IEMs in the past just happen to synergize well with Sony DAPs because that was their business model/sound philosophy at the time.

This is spot-on.

Apr 27, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #793 of 845
Hi,  I think your point about Sony tuning about their XBA series earphones for the more commercial market is quite valid, however having just purchased the XBA 3 and 4  and the 32gig Z, I think they tuned them for their Z-series (Android) walkman specifically.

Apr 27, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #794 of 845
I have heard that as well.  Opinions are mixed and seem to contradict each other at times. So in my frustration I did this:

Quote:
Hi,  I think your point about Sony tuning about their XBA series earphones for the more commercial market is quite valid, however having just purchased the XBA 3 and 4  and the 32gig Z, I think they tuned them for their Z-series (Android) walkman specifically.

Apr 27, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #795 of 845

Quote:
I have heard that as well.  Opinions are mixed and seem to contradict each other at times. So in my frustration I did this:

You just spent $594 USD on Sony XBA's.

I am a Sony fan, I like the XBA-4, it's pretty nice for the money, but it's totally nothing like the 4-driver sound I was hoping for, a la UM Mage and JH11.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back