11 New Sony BA IEMs
Nov 20, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #316 of 845
XBA2:
  1. These reminded me much more of the SE315 (and price wise they're similar) with more emphasis on the midrange and the treble very rolled off compared to XBA3 and XBA4.
  2. However, its bass extends lower and/or is more forward than that of the SR315. For instance, I can't really feel the last heartbeat sample on se315 but it may be a touch firmer than the Sony.
  3. The SE315 feels like midrange only and dynamically compressed so the XBA2 (same price in Japan I believe) is a no brainer.
  4. Overall, I liked the XBA2 better than XBA3 as I thought its bass was more natural sounding to me (not as forward and not boomy). I wish Sony did not shelve down the highs as much but fortunately I can turn to the XBA4 for this.
  5. Very compact (but still sticks out a little bit compared to an angled driver like Shure's SE series), it fits perfectly in my (small) ears and I could get reasonable isolation.

Conclusion:
  1. It is a bit difficult to decide between the XBA2 (not as extended low / highs but very compact and most comfortable for my small ears) and XBA4 (much better listening experience but at the expense of bulkiness and somewhat poorer fit to my ears).
  2. I believe I will go with the XBA4 though as the price is still reasonable in light of the sound it delivers (does not replace my home rig but I could probably live happily with just that!).

Odd that the XBA3 was boomier than the XBA2 considering they seem to use the same exact bass driver. Wasn't expecting that, if anything I would think the XBA4 would be a tad too bassy compared to the other models. 

Nov 20, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #317 of 845
Quote:
Zomg... XBA-4 with phone controls are21,280! 

*passes out*

These are my next IEMs...

The local price is hard to argue with, so I've decided to get a pair after hearing them in Tokyo. The similar ATs were that much more expensive that I hesitated when I last tried them. Would be interesting to compare the MKII versions though.

Quote:

Conclusion:
  1. It is a bit difficult to decide between the XBA2 (not as extended low / highs but very compact and most comfortable for my small ears) and XBA4 (much better listening experience but at the expense of bulkiness and somewhat poorer fit to my ears).
  2. I believe I will go with the XBA4 though as the price is still reasonable in light of the sound it delivers (does not replace my home rig but I could probably live happily with just that!).

Thanks for the detailed impressions.
beerchug.gif

Nov 21, 2011 at 7:43 AM Post #319 of 845

Quote:
Quote:
Odd that the XBA3 was boomier than the XBA2 considering they seem to use the same exact bass driver. Wasn't expecting that, if anything I would think the XBA4 would be a tad too bassy compared to the other models. 

x2

x3 lol :wink:. I really wasn't expecting this when I went to the store (I didn't find the xb3 bassy at all when I listened to it at the Fujiya festival. 
I was visioning the marketing video at the same tame, and yes it would have you believe otherwise. Also, I thought the designer said the xb3 should be more neutral and xb4 more bassy.  

Well, I can only suppose the following;
1. there was a problem with the drivers at the sony building (the woofer or super woofer of the xba4sl was shot, how crazy is it in sony store!!)
2. An issue with the seal

3. An effect of the amp (I listened mostly ampless at the show and the tomahawk significantly changed the tonal balance toward bassy)

I will give it another listen prior to purchase I think...

Nov 21, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #320 of 845

Quote:
The local price is hard to argue with, so I've decided to get a pair after hearing them in Tokyo. The similar ATs were that much more expensive that I hesitated when I last tried them. Would be interesting to compare the MKII versions though.

Thanks for the detailed impressions.
beerchug.gif

curra..which version are you getting?? xba-4?? looking forward to your impressions...

Nov 21, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #321 of 845
http://asia.cnet.com/product/sony-xba-4ip-45699798.htm

I was looking at this amateurish review, and the reviewer complained that the xba-4 did not fit comfortably worn cable down. I'd wager my larger ears would fare better in the fit department, but I'm more interested in the weight. Are these using plastic or metal housing? I don't have any problems wearing a "heavy" IEM like the MTPC cable down, so I wonder if these are even heavier... Any thoughts? I really want the IP version, but the reviewer complained that when worn cable up the mic is in your cheek (a problem I have with the Ety HF2).

Nov 21, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #323 of 845
Why am I only finding reviews for the 2,3 and 4.
Nobody cares about the 1... :xf_eek:

I'm quite interested in the XBA-1, as compared to the other 3.

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #324 of 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inks /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes this is confusing... I suppose the crossover chip (if there is one...) could divide the sound differently on -2 and -3?

The UM Mage has the least focus on bass of all the UM's, even though it's a TWFK with two bass drivers.

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #325 of 845
Quote:
I'm quite interested in the XBA-1

Same here, I want to know how it compares to the $400 Klipsch X10 and $300 Etymotic ER-4S.

If Sony are the first ones to make their own drivers I want to know how it compares to the "hearing aids" Etymotic and Klipsch are using.

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #326 of 845
I wouldn't be surprised if they actually have a company like Yashima (just as an example) make the BA drivers. The FAD SS also has a single bespoke BA driver AFAIK, and I highly doubt they have manufacturing capabilities to make actual BAs. It'd all be 'Made in Japan' still if it's made by a Japanese company. Then again, Sony is still a very vertically integrated company, so it could technically be strictly an in-house effort.

Oh, and that picture is SO misleading; it's not just one manufacturer, it's TWO! Knowles AND Sonion!
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
Same here, I want to know how it compares to the $400 Klipsch X10 and $300 Etymotic ER-4S.

If Sony are the first ones to make their own drivers I want to know how it compares to the "hearing aids" Etymotic and Klipsch are using.

There's no crossover. It uses a filter system, so the other frequencies are just attenuated, rather than filtered out electronically. Maybe the low level contributions of bass with the added tweeter in the XBA-3 adds to the bass?

Quote:
Yes this is confusing... I suppose the crossover chip (if there is one...) could divide the sound differently on -2 and -3?

The UM Mage has the least focus on bass of all the UM's, even though it's a TWFK with two bass drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inks 

Nov 26, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #327 of 845

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if they actually have a company like Yashima (just as an example) make the BA drivers. The FAD SS also has a single bespoke BA driver AFAIK, and I highly doubt they have manufacturing capabilities to make actual BAs. It'd all be 'Made in Japan' still if it's made by a Japanese company. Then again, Sony is still a very vertically integrated company, so it could technically be strictly an in-house effort.

According to DFKT, Final Audio make their BA drivers at a factory in Indonesia.

According to Sony, all their BA drivers are an in-house operation, and their development team that make the dynamic driver IEM's were fully focused on the new BA series recently, but the BA's have been a project for over 3 years.

Quote:

There's no crossover. It uses a filter system, so the other frequencies are just attenuated, rather than filtered out electronically. Maybe the low level contributions of bass with the added tweeter in the XBA-3 adds to the bass?

Smart, I suppose the tweeter in the -3 could attenuate the mid-bass?

Not sure what happens in the -4, but I liked how Mkubota1 called it "exotic" sounding...

By the way the driver is mounted differently in the XBA-NC85D.

Nov 27, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #328 of 845
Based on my listening for far, the number of driver units (3 vs. 4) does not mean anything as far as bass / treble extension even though the marketing of Sony would make you believe otherwise. I think that they market it like like that because this is the one thing that will drive most buyers up the range (i.e. "I am missing something if I don't get the 4 drivers unit"). But in reality, I believe they can tune the drivers in any way they want (and / or the acoustic filters as mentioned above). From the marketing, you'd think the 4s have some kind of bass boost but, at least last time I gave it a listen, it felt more like the 4s were more balanced than the 3s with the 3s sounding boomy (just like when you push the mid-bass in a small speaker to artificially give it some body and false sense of true bass reproduction).

I tried to have another listen today but none of the specialty stores I called had a demo unit. I don't really want to try again at the sony store because I have the strange feel their demo units have some defects (like the super woofer busted on the 4sl I listened to).

Nov 27, 2011 at 9:37 AM Post #330 of 845

Quote:

Hi arnaud, did you listen to the XBA-1?

I thought maybe the whole series at once and low price will make us overlook it, instead of comparing it to the ER-4 etc.

Sorry, not even once. I will try on my next sampling (hoping some stores get a demo unit within a week).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back