11 New Sony BA IEMs
Sep 21, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #241 of 845
I bet Harman is shivering in their boots sitting on their $1500 AKG K3003 now 
popcorn.gif

Sep 21, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #243 of 845

If 3 months warranty cuts the price down a little bit, I'm all for it.

i've had cables swell up, strain reliefs snap off, finish flake off and earpiece body fall apart for the ex300-500-700 series (I owned all 3, and 2x700 :D http://www.head-fi.org/products/sony-mdr-ex700lp-earbud-style-headphones-black/reviews/4438 ). All within 3months-12months of careful and in some cases minimal use on the train to work. I don't think that's the right attitude to take with sony and warranty. 1 year, including cable lol.

Sep 21, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #246 of 845

Quote:
Quote:

If 3 months warranty cuts the price down a little bit, I'm all for it.

i've had cables swell up, strain reliefs snap off, finish flake off and earpiece body fall apart for the ex300-500-700 series (I owned all 3, and 2x700
biggrin.gif
http://www.head-fi.org/products/sony-mdr-ex700lp-earbud-style-headphones-black/reviews/4438 ). All within 3months-12months of careful and in some cases minimal use on the train to work. I don't think that's the right attitude to take with sony and warranty. 1 year, including cable lol.

Ohnoes your precious finish flaked off a bit.

You do realise I have your old EX700 (in fine condition) and your old STAX is now in England right?  Btw did you really buy 2x700? and one more thing it isn't that sibilant and you were wrong about the FR graphs comparing it to the EX600/1000
smile.gif
 The 6kHz thing isn't the problem area.

Sep 21, 2011 at 5:52 AM Post #248 of 845
Looks like the NUDE EX monitor is the EX1000 series where Sony is keeping their main focus on. Their sound is defined as "Hi-Fi" and reproduces sound faithfully. XBA series are closely followed in terms of importance in the company, with their sound more musical rather than detailed and Hi-Fi

Sep 21, 2011 at 7:01 AM Post #250 of 845

Ohnoes your precious finish flaked off a bit.

You do realise I have your old EX700 (in fine condition) and your old STAX is now in England right?  Btw did you really buy 2x700? and one more thing it isn't that sibilant and you were wrong about the FR graphs comparing it to the EX600/1000
smile.gif
 The 6kHz thing isn't the problem area.

yeaaa, reductio ad absurdum - way to go there. Finish flaking off is a bit of an extra, more concerned about swollen cables and falling off back plate on ex700 and disintegrating strain reliefs on ex500...

> thing it isn't that sibilant and you were wrong about the FR graphs comparing it to the EX600/1000

post that in the review. I'm probably not the only person who had a problem with sibilance or at least upper mids and treble harshness on EX700. Can't comment on EX1000 for others, but a bit of EQ over EX700 for myself suggested I'd dislike it even more. If you're not sensitive to peaks in those areas, then it's not a problem for you. What can I say?

You seem to keep clinging to the thought that EX1000 is similar to UM miracles, because the FR looks similar, hence it must be a top IEM. I find that adorable.

Sep 21, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #252 of 845

Quote:
[...]
You seem to keep clinging to the thought that EX1000 is similar to UM miracles, because the FR looks similar, hence it must be a top IEM. I find that adorable.

I do recall writing something along those lines once... about their FR... I guess I've drastically changed my mind there Lol.

Anyway, if you haven't experienced the EX600/800ST/1000, you should, if you could stand the EX700 for so long, you'll be impressed with the new EX's :) they're really quite refreshing in comparison to the EX700.
I can handle the 6kHz stuff just fine on the EX700, but if I b00st somewhere around 1kHz, it's unbearable and deafening, even listening to a Piano solo and boosting 880Hz in foobar was unbearable lol.

p.s. I hope you ended up getting a laserdisc.

p.p.s. Thanks for the Latin lesson, I'll look it up later

Sep 21, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #253 of 845

Quote:

I think Inks might have just looked at the promotional video and thought to himself "hmmm no crossovers"  :) :)

At least it sparked a little debate.

The two words I'm most tired of on head-fi are "crossover" and "subjective".

Funny thing is that the term crossover is often subjective.
bigsmile_face.gif
 There will be an (integrated?) cap infront of the tweeter so that it doesn't try to make bass but I've often seen that in speakers said to be crossover free. The woofer drivers probably have integral acoustic filters to limit their upper range. That's a mechanical crossover though it won't be called that. Winding a driver for more inductance effecively does the same. None of these are functionally different than first order networks. In this case, the XBA-3 would qualify as a 2,1/2 way and I don't know what to call the 4, LOL.

I wouldn't be surprised if high and low pass were integrated into the drivers themselves and that the rear connections were plugins with the rear cap (not shell) that would secure the cable. Makes them extremely modular and easy to assemble, taking much of the manual labor away.

Sep 21, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #254 of 845

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if high and low pass were integrated into the drivers themselves and that the rear connections were plugins with the rear cap (not shell) that would secure the cable. Makes them extremely modular and easy to assemble, taking much of the manual labor away.

You know, that's an exact same thing I actually thought when we started this crossover-discussion.
However it does indeed mean that they use crossovers, isnt it?

Thats why I call for any sony representant insight on this

Sep 21, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #255 of 845

Quote:
You know, that's an exact same thing I actually thought when we started this crossover-discussion.
However it does indeed mean that they use crossovers, isnt it?

Thats why I call for any sony representant insight on this

toma'to tomato. There's crossovers. Other 3 way iems don't have electrical low pass either. Coils are too large and a cap in parallel would effect the entire system instead of just the intended driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back