1000GB flac on-the-go successfully, streaming to iPhone/iPad/Android portables
Aug 19, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #46 of 118
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. So, if I don't understand wrong, if you are connected to your local network you can use power amp to reproduce streaming audio? Have you tried the PlugPlayer version for Android?
Samsung seems like a good alternative, but I'm not ready to replace the iTouch yet. Maybe in the future. About the battery life, maybe a stationary solution can be a dock to charge the device standing in a strategic place, like the living room
smily_headphones1.gif

OK I had to double-check this to see what options I am given when I try to open an audio file when in ES Explorer browsing my Music server on my server (LAN). Sadly, the only options I am given are BubbleUPnP and ES Music Player. So I have to retract my previous comment where I stated specifically you can use PowerAmp to listen to music on LAN. Sorry. As for PlugPlayer, no. I have not tried it on Android (only iPhone and iPad when I had them; and it was not nearly as feature-loaded and bug-free as BubbleUPnP). I honestly don't think anything can top PowerAmp. For a while there I went on a mission to find something better. Downloaded a bunch of music players (some of which were paid versions) including the one called Neutron (or something along these lines) as it was recommended by a few. The UI on that was too busy and the EQ options were too limited and appeared useless--just my personal opinion based on several hours I spent playing with it. YMMV of course. Again, sorry for the misinformation! 

Aug 19, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #47 of 118
@ NZtechfreak,
I agree with you on some points, although not on numpties calling.

I too was wondering why that Amazon reviewer used syncing instead of drag-and-drop. Maybe he thought syncing will provide better album organization. Too bad that Seagate app is a pain (he seemed to be using the Seagate app, not sure why he did not try another app). I did not notice that he said flac would not work in NTFS, maybe I ignored that part. I was more interested to learn about its album organization and on-the-go streaming/playing with IOS.

I will consider that Seagate GoFlex Satellite, since you said 8player will work better. I think some other app will work as well. There are PlugPlayer, GoodPlayer and others, though I have not read on the reviews/features. Which firmware version of Seagate are you using currently? Thanks.

Aug 19, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #48 of 118
There will be lots of alternative UPnP apps available on iPhone I'm sure, 8-Player was just the first reasonable well-rated one I came across on the app store.

Will get back to you later about the firmware revision I'm on (been a while since I checked, might even be more updates out for all I know).

Aug 20, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #49 of 118
I found a few other portable wifi drives or enclosures:

1) Patriot Gauntlet Node, which is a portable, battery powered, 2.5'' wireless-N wifi enclosure (which retails for $99). As 1TB 2.5'' hdd is around $100 now, this device looks interesting. It even has bridge mode. Not sure about UI though (likely worse than Seagate's app). One may have to use 3rd party app.

2) Maxell AirStash. Basically a USB adapter that has battery to power wireless-N wifi and one SD card. Very portable, but small capacity (limited to capacity of your SDXC card) and expensive at $120 (comes with a 8GB SD only). No bridge mode. Again no idea about UI/app.

There are a few other products, but they are not as interesting to me.

Aug 20, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #50 of 118
Nice find on the Patriot Gauntlet Node, looks interesting. Will be taking more of a look at that when I get home from work... I see it has internet pass through like the Satellite, which is a must, but I didn't see whether it can function as a UPnP service? Apart from internet pass through that would be the next most vital thing, since that is a large part of what will determine its interoperability with other softwares (like 8-Player and BubbleUPnP).

Aug 20, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #52 of 118
Quote:
Here is the official web page from Patriot:
http://www.patriotmemory.com/product/detail.jsp?prodline=6&catid=43&prodgroupid=237&id=1274&type=19
I can not tell if it is a UPnP device.

Yeah, just on a break here and I can't see that detail either (there or any of a half dozen other places I looked). Maybe email Patriot? If it doesn't have it they may add it to a firmware update.

Aug 21, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #55 of 118
Quote:
It has an app in the iTunes store, so I assume that the Patriot supports Upnp. Great discoverment! Thank you zzffnn. It's worth a try

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gauntlet-connect/id529620907?l=es&mt=8

Doesn't necessarily follow that it uses UPnP (for example the GoFlex native streaming software doesn't). I think it's probably worth a try, I like the option to put in a large drive. Since I already have a GoFlex and it has better battery life than 5.5 hours I'll give it a miss, but very interested to see what purchasers think.

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #56 of 118
^ So your Seagate GoFlex Satellite does not need any modification to work with the 8player app? All that is required is installing 8player on IOS? I am just curious. Also can you easily replace the hdd or battery of the Seagate?

Another beauty of the Patroit Node is that you can put in a SSD that is as large as your wallet allows.Maybe one can replace its battery too, if the stock dies?

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #57 of 118
No modification needed on the GoFlex to work with 8-Player (or BubbleUPnP on Android, and presumably any other UPnP apps).

Battery/HDD would not be easily changed (if at all). A definite plus for the Patriot there, no doubt about. If I didn't already have the GoFlex I'd certainly be looking at the Patriot. Providing the Patriot can operate with UPnP software I'd certainly take that over the GoFlex.

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #58 of 118
Patriot told me that the Node is SAMBA only (not UPnP). I replied and asked if and when they will add UPnP through firmware update.

I searched app store and found that OPlayer can stream SAMBA and play flac. GoodPlayer can do that too.

Edit: I found another 2 app's for IOS: AcePlayer and BuzzPlayer. Each of them costs $2.99 and all claim to stream SAMBA and play flac. All 4 app's have similar review rating and number of reviews; there are slightly more reviews for GoodPlayer and less positive reviews for Buzzplayer. I guess I will try this approach. Worse comes to worst, I would end up buying all 4 app's; not a big deal as long as one app works.

Aug 23, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #59 of 118
I received a second point-to-point answer from the Patriot tech support. They said:
1) They do not have plan to add UPnP as Gauntlet Node cannot support it.
2) The maximum streaming speed is around 2MB/s (a little over 2000 kbps). Its sustained speed streaming speed is about 1500 kbps. Up to 8 devices can be used with the Node without buffering.
3) They recommend OPlayer. They have not tried GoodPlayer, but they said that "it does look like it supports flac".

My thinking:
1) UPnP is probably not a must for my use, since I am using it to stream music only. And the app's mentioned in the above post should supposedly stream flac over SAMBA (Patriot's  stock streaming mode).
2) Maximum streaming speed of a bit over 2000 kbps is decent. Most of my flac files have bitrate under 1500 kbps so they should stream and play (I have seen as low as 541 kbps in quiet piano songs and 2927 kbps in fast/loud rock/metal).
3) I will give it a try to the Patriot Gauntlet Node (can still return to NewEgg with a slight loss if I do not like it). I will report back once I receive and test everything, likely in late September. If I have success, I will post the info on post #2 on the first page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back