1000 Dollar Headphones?
Nov 30, 2021 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

takuta

New Head-Fier
I have a pretty solid understanding about the IEM world, but am pretty clueless when it comes to headphones. As I feel like 1000 dollars is the threshold for stepping into "higher-end" IEMs/headphones, what would you guys say are the best headphones at/around that 1000 dollar price point?

Dec 1, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #2 of 46
I have a pretty solid understanding about the IEM world, but am pretty clueless when it comes to headphones. As I feel like 1000 dollars is the threshold for stepping into "higher-end" IEMs/headphones, what would you guys say are the best headphones at/around that 1000 dollar price point?
Check out the Dan Clark audio website. A few good options around that price. Theres a Sennheiser on Drop the HD8xx. Open back or closed? What are you powering with?

Dec 1, 2021 at 3:13 AM Post #3 of 46
The best headphones at/around the $1000 is the pair you get for half the price. :)

I've been very happy with two recent purchases, one on a massive sale and the other used. Both discontinued. The Focal Elegia and the Audioquest Nightowls. I can't call either of them the "best" around $1,000 (original MSRP was like $900 and $700 respectively)...but I'm also not sure if there is a "best" really. Diminishing returns concept aside, I think really the goal is finding the sound signature that's most pleasing to you (and this can vary depending on the genre of music you're listening to). In other words, it's highly subjective after a certain threshold and I'm not sure that's $1,000. I think that's more of a reflection of supply/demand and what the market will bear. A little bit of conditioning and marketing too.

So in my case, I'm talking about discontinued headphones. Does that mean they aren't at/around the $1,000 mark? (yes arguably the Nightowls weren't ever at that level, but the Elegia were and it's direct replacement is now even more expensive and the Celestee has mixed reviews on being "better" than the Elegia). What changes in a few years? The headphones? Or our perception of value? Or did we just grow bored of a headphone?

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #5 of 46
Check out the Dan Clark audio website. A few good options around that price. Theres a Sennheiser on Drop the HD8xx. Open back or closed? What are you powering with?
Forgot to mention this, thanks for bringing it up! As I only have experience with iems which tend to not need a lot of power to drive, my "source" right now is the Fiio BTR5, so if there are any combos that you have experience with/can recommend then those recommendations would be more than welcome! Also, closed or open back doesn't really make a difference to me at the moment. Closed back would be more convenient right now, but I plan on switching/testing open-back headphones eventually.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #6 of 46
New** for 1k, source and headphones this would be my pic:

Headphones: Open ---- https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx
Closed---- https://drop.com/buy/emu-wood-series-headphones or https://drop.com/buy/drop-dan-clark-audio-aeon-closed-x-headphones (still not released so be vigilant)

AMP : https://www.headphones.com/collections/ifi/products/ifi-audio-xdsd (This bad boy can also be used with all your nice IEM's

This way if you really want a sit down station, I would recommend this amp/dac: https://www.headphones.com/collections/ifi/products/ifi-audio-zen-dac

This way you will have $$ to spare for an extra pair of headphones (Eventually)

If you want to get Used, let me know, the prices are usually 30% (rough) the regular price.

Dec 1, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #7 of 46
New** for 1k, source and headphones this would be my pic:

Headphones: Open ---- https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx
Closed---- https://drop.com/buy/emu-wood-series-headphones or https://drop.com/buy/drop-dan-clark-audio-aeon-closed-x-headphones (still not released so be vigilant)

AMP : https://www.headphones.com/collections/ifi/products/ifi-audio-xdsd (This bad boy can also be used with all your nice IEM's

This way if you really want a sit down station, I would recommend this amp/dac: https://www.headphones.com/collections/ifi/products/ifi-audio-zen-dac

This way you will have $$ to spare for an extra pair of headphones (Eventually)

If you want to get Used, let me know, the prices are usually 30% (rough) the regular price.
Thanks for the comments! I've heard of the 6xx and I've seen some reviews/comments on the aeon closed x, but I've never heard of the emu wood series. Care to give your thoughts on the headphone? What's it like? Also, used is perfectly considerable as well, really just as long as its under the 1k budget lol

Dec 1, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #8 of 46
Thanks for the comments! I've heard of the 6xx and I've seen some reviews/comments on the aeon closed x, but I've never heard of the emu wood series. Care to give your thoughts on the headphone? What's it like? Also, used is perfectly considerable as well, really just as long as its under the 1k budget lol

The Emu's are a great set of cans!
The bass is so so sweet and easy to listen to.
I mostly listen to rock + alternative music and these are wonderful
Nos my most comfy pair though.

Dec 1, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #9 of 46
Buy Elex from massdrop and save some dollars , still on sale.
Just watch for QC issues with the Elex as there was a bunch reported. The Elegia is also cheaper at $400 right now.

Dec 1, 2021 at 9:20 PM Post #10 of 46
The best headphones at/around the $1000 is the pair you get for half the price. :)

I've been very happy with two recent purchases, one on a massive sale and the other used. Both discontinued. The Focal Elegia and the Audioquest Nightowls. I can't call either of them the "best" around $1,000 (original MSRP was like $900 and $700 respectively)...but I'm also not sure if there is a "best" really. Diminishing returns concept aside, I think really the goal is finding the sound signature that's most pleasing to you (and this can vary depending on the genre of music you're listening to). In other words, it's highly subjective after a certain threshold and I'm not sure that's $1,000. I think that's more of a reflection of supply/demand and what the market will bear. A little bit of conditioning and marketing too.

So in my case, I'm talking about discontinued headphones. Does that mean they aren't at/around the $1,000 mark? (yes arguably the Nightowls weren't ever at that level, but the Elegia were and it's direct replacement is now even more expensive and the Celestee has mixed reviews on being "better" than the Elegia). What changes in a few years? The headphones? Or our perception of value? Or did we just grow bored of a headphone?
Gotta agree with this post having the Elegia for $400 bucks is a no brainer. Theres the Sony Z7M2 for around 600$ as well - its' drivers are huge so thats unique. You should be able to get two very nice headphones for 1000. I would go for one planar and one dynamic, which is what I did this november - an Elegia and an He6se V2 Adorama edition, but the he6 are power hungry so not able with btr5. Elegia should be just fine with that amp, people always say it surprises them what it can drive so plenty options. Check impedance and sensitivity specs before buying, and ask btr5 users as well. Have fun!

Dec 1, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #11 of 46
Gotta agree with this post having the Elegia for $400 bucks is a no brainer. Theres the Sony Z7M2 for around 600$ as well - its' drivers are huge so thats unique. You should be able to get two very nice headphones for 1000. I would go for one planar and one dynamic, which is what I did this november - an Elegia and an He6se V2 Adorama edition, but the he6 are power hungry so not able with btr5. Elegia should be just fine with that amp, people always say it surprises them what it can drive so plenty options. Check impedance and sensitivity specs before buying, and ask btr5 users as well. Have fun!
Elegia is totally fine with the BTR5. Though I prefer it on tube amp.

Isn't Hifiman coming out with a new planar that's going to upset the industry if it becomes available outside of China or something like that? Apparently good value.

Dec 1, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #12 of 46
For me, no question the best headphones you can get with a $1k budget is a second-hand pair of Sennheiser HD 800, and occasionally 800s if you find a good sale. I think I'm going to try Focal Clears next though and they have potential to be a contender too.

If you're talking MSRP, I unfortunately can't help with that since I don't buy headphones at MSRP much anymore. Maybe one of the ZMFs in this price range but I can't even remember if they are actually around $1k or slightly higher. Atticus for instance.

For what it's worth I think you hit summit-fi sooner in IEMs than headphones. At $730, the Thieaudio Monarch is I'd say summit-fi tier, now granted not the top of summit-fi but still in that ballpark. At $700 in headphone world, you have the Ananda which, don't get me wrong I love the Ananda and it is amazing, but I think you are still a ways off from summit-fi.

I'm not sure if I'd even say the HD 800/s is summit-fi at this point, I love them a lot but especially after having heard the Stax 009 a few times, there is still a ways to go from the 800 in many key areas. Let alone stuff like the HE1000se which is just godly on like every level, and then Susvara beyond that.

EDIT: To be clear the 800 is still remarkably good though. Probably my favorite headphones all things considered, even including TOTLers I've either heard or owned like the ones mentioned above. EQ helps a lot to address some of its biggest issues tonally and I'd say it is actually summit-fi on the technical side of things.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #13 of 46
For me, no question the best headphones you can get with a $1k budget is a second-hand pair of Sennheiser HD 800, and occasionally 800s if you find a good sale. I think I'm going to try Focal Clears next though and they have potential to be a contender too.

If you're talking MSRP, I unfortunately can't help with that since I don't buy headphones at MSRP much anymore. Maybe one of the ZMFs in this price range but I can't even remember if they are actually around $1k or slightly higher. Atticus for instance.

For what it's worth I think you hit summit-fi sooner in IEMs than headphones. At $730, the Thieaudio Monarch is I'd say summit-fi tier, now granted not the top of summit-fi but still in that ballpark. At $700 in headphone world, you have the Ananda which, don't get me wrong I love the Ananda and it is amazing, but I think you are still a ways off from summit-fi.

I'm not sure if I'd even say the HD 800/s is summit-fi at this point, I love them a lot but especially after having heard the Stax 009 a few times, there is still a ways to go from the 800 in many key areas. Let alone stuff like the HE1000se which is just godly on like every level, and then Susvara beyond that.

EDIT: To be clear the 800 is still remarkably good though. Probably my favorite headphones all things considered, even including TOTLers I've either heard or owned like the ones mentioned above. EQ helps a lot to address some of its biggest issues tonally and I'd it is actually summit-fi in terms of technical performance.
Very interesting, very interesting. The HD800/800s is a comparison that I still don't quite understand even after watching/reading multiple reviews dedicated to it. Have you tried both? If you have, how would you describe the differences between them (strengths/weaknesses)? Also the Clear was what made me create this thread in the first place, as I know the OG Clears have a reputation for being quite solid, but I wanted to know if the community here on Head-Fi had anything else to say.

Dec 1, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #14 of 46
Very interesting, very interesting. The HD800/800s is a comparison that I still don't quite understand even after watching/reading multiple reviews dedicated to it. Have you tried both? If you have, how would you describe the differences between them (strengths/weaknesses)? Also the Clear was what made me create this thread in the first place, as I know the OG Clears have a reputation for being quite solid, but I wanted to know if the community here on Head-Fi had anything else to say.
I owned the 800 before the 800s so unfortunately I never directly A-B'd them. But on a technical level, I believe there is only one major difference in the 800s - the 800 has an aftermarket mod called a SuperDupont Resonator that can be applied to lower one of its worst treble peaks a few db, if I remember correctly it is the 6k peak. The 800s essentially has that mod built into it and most people prefer it.

I would say the 800s maybe, maybe has a little less soundstage but other than that and the cut on that treble peak, there is really not much of a difference. And if you put an SDR mod on an 800 then blind test A-B'd me between them, I can tell you 100% I would not be able to tell the difference.

Side note, if you EQ headphones you can also EQ that peak down without even doing the mod - and I'd say EQ is a good thing to have in your arsenal for the 800 series because they have some real tonality quirks when they're stock.

So in terms of actionable advice, I would say go ahead and buy an 800 since it's cheaper. It is very easy to make it sound like an 800s, in fact the only reason I even bought an 800s is because I prefer the color on it haha.

Also I heard similarly re: the Clears so they've been on my radar a lot recently. Right now I'm researching the differences between the types of Clears before/if I commit to buying one.

Oh - the 8XX was mentioned above, that could be a good option too but I can't comment on those directly as I haven't heard them. I would say the biggest concern with them on paper would be not shipping with a balanced cable though. Balanced is not really necessary for headphones in terms of its "direct" benefits, however many times amps will put out a lot more juice on the balanced output and the 800 series really loves that juice. They scale very well with amps, I think perhaps more than any other dynamic I've owned.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 10:19 PM Post #15 of 46
I'm keeping my eye on the clear.
Also the Clear was what made me create this thread in the first place
I'm keeping my eye on the Clear now that it's discontinued. If it goes on mega clearance like the Elegia, I'll probably snag it. That would give me a closed back with the Elegia and an open back with the Clear.

So open/closed dynamic. Open planar with the Hifiman (which I should probably upgrade). Then closed bass focused with the Nightowl.

I'd only be missing a closed back planar then in that collection.

To me, that's better than one or two super expensive headphones... because they all have different sound signatures and use cases. Some you take to an office or on vacation and others you don't. Some you listen to for certain music or certain moods. Sometimes you plain get bored of a certain sound.

I don't really believe in any one "best" any more. Though again, I also haven't tried the most expensive headphones out there. Does expensive even have to equal good here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back