<$1000 DAC+Amp combo for Hifiman Arya?
Aug 13, 2021 at 4:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Atriya

100+ Head-Fier
I just upgraded from my 2013 Hifiman HE-400s to Hifiman Aryas.

I'm currently using an old Schiit Modi 2+Magni 2 stack. While my Arya is loud enough on these (with the volume knob turned very high), I understand the headphone benefits from more power.

I would have gotten a Schiit Modius+Magnius, but the Magnius is backordered by 2 months.

I'm trying to choose between the Topping D30Pro+A30Pro combo, and the D70+A90 combo. The second one is a bit over my budget, so if possible I'd like to go with the A30Pro combo. Should these drive the Aryas to their full potential, or close to their full potential? If not, I'd rather pay the extra $400 to go for the D70+A90, since I don't anticipate buying more amps (or headphones) for the next 5-10 years.

I don't need the extra features (e.g. MQA, Bluetooth) of the D70 over the D30Pro. I also know that the A90 is truly balanced whereas the A30Pro has some funny stuff going on with balanced inputs but not balanced outputs. I don't have any strong opinions about using the Aryas balanced vs single ended, as long as they are driven sufficiently. I don't need the preamp functionality of the A90 either.

Or, I could just get a Magni 3+ for much cheaper (for use with my current Modi 2) and call it a day, but I'm not sure if the 2.4W RMS per channel it puts out at the Arya's impedance is enough? I read everywhere that the Aryas are very power hungry.

Other recommendations would also be welcome!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back