~$100 Headphones
Nov 26, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #18 of 27
I was recently in a similar boat. I went with the ath m-50s (as many have suggested) because a friend had them and I was able to test them out. You really can't go wrong.. I just moved backed from college and i think these headphones are one reason that I have gone insane from living with my parents again.

Nov 26, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #19 of 27
Well it looks like I'm back where I started... k240 against the M50. Good vocals are important to me, but I don't want anything too bass heavy. Now I'm leaning towards the k240, considering that it wouldn't be too hard to at least lighten the bass with EQ. I think I'm going to get the k240. I did consider what everybody said, but I've read up on both and it seems like the AKG will suit me better.

Nov 26, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #20 of 27
I'd also suggest checking into the Shure SRH-440. The vocals are very good on them and there is more then enough bass on them. They sound just like my DJ100, but don't need an amp.
Strangely these are a much better fit than the SRH-840. These stay on my head, but they are a bit heavy. So far I like them. So far the sound seems not as good as my DJ100, but pretty close. Bass amount is about the same. I think they may be keepers since I loved the SRH-840.

I got mine at Best Buy for $99. I'm sure they're cheaper online, but I didn't want to wait.

Nov 27, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #24 of 27
I just looked, and it's pretty easy to get the Shure 440s new for $70 shipped on Ebay. Dead-Vocalist can you link? They were 72 when I looked. And I hate to sound like I'm asking the same thing over and over, but tdockweiler, how do the 440s compare to the k240 overall? Especially the vocals and high end.

Nov 27, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #25 of 27

Quote:
I just looked, and it's pretty easy to get the Shure 440s new for $70 shipped on Ebay. Dead-Vocalist can you link? They were 72 when I looked. And I hate to sound like I'm asking the same thing over and over, but tdockweiler, how do the 440s compare to the k240 overall? Especially the vocals and high end.

I'm going to end up returning my SRH-440 unfortunately. It is good, but not good enough to keep them due to having the DJ100 that's far better (and cheaper) but needs a good amp. I also have my modded Koss UR-55 that is actually better in many ways. The k240 is a lot better than the SRH-440 to me. Based on what I can tell, the k240 has better mids, vocals, comfort, more bass and definitely a less fatiguing sound. The soundstage is also a lot larger. I think the 440 may have better imaging though. What's funny is that my modded UR-55 (removed the grill) actually has a far larger soundstage, which is quite impressive considering how small it is.

I still think the SRH-440 is a good headphone and I'm still going to suggest it. The only problem is that I found the treble a tad fatiguing, but not too bad. The overall sound seemed a lot more aggressive then the slightly laid-back SRH-840 that I loved. Vocals are good on the SRH-440, but they just didn't sound as good as the vocals I remember from the SRH-840. BTW for those that are considering the SRH-440, it had a much better fit for me then the SRH-840. It was pretty secure on my head, but it's not all that comfortable. SRH-440 is definitely one of the best unamped headphones under $100 if you like it's signature. I was only planning on keeping it if it really "Wowed" me and it really didn't. Still good though.

If the SRH-440 sound more similar to the SRH-840 I definitely would have kept it. Wish I could keep the SRH-840 on my head!

BTW I've found that the DJ100 sounds similar to the SRH-440 in many ways. It's strange because it sounded good and worth about $100, but not much more. I'd much rather get an SRH-840 if I could find one for $130 (and it actually fit me).

Still think that k240 Studio is easily the best budget headphone around $100. It's such a good deal.

Nov 27, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #26 of 27
Thanks for another great post. Looks like it's AKG. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back