$100-200 DAC
Feb 26, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the 0404 USB is a USB external audio processor which can accept optical, coaxial, or USB connection to the host computer

the Firestone Spitfire is an external D/A which accepts S/PDIF coaxial or TOS input

I really have to ask, why are you making this so bleeding difficult for everyone else?

ah, sorry
i did not see the firestone spitfire, and i thought the 0404 was only pci

Feb 26, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #32 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by godbreath /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ah, sorry
i did not see the firestone spitfire, and i thought the 0404 was only pci

the reason I asked if you're trying to make it difficult, is because every time someone suggested something you'd seem to have some new and improved reason or feature that the suggestion didn't meet
angry_face.gif

BUT, I totally understand the nightmare of finding new equipment that works for YOU, and not for some marketing promo
wink.gif

I guess more information in the first post would've been helpful, either way, between the 0404 USB and Spitfire, you're probably looking at the two best ~$200 options you'll likely find, theres not much else out there (theres a lot of really cheap stuff that won't improve quality at all, and theres a lot of really expensive stuff that goes over your $250 cap)

Feb 27, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #33 of 42
Quote:

the reason I asked if you're trying to make it difficult, is because every time someone suggested something you'd seem to have some new and improved reason or feature that the suggestion didn't meet
angry_face.gif

BUT, I totally understand the nightmare of finding new equipment that works for YOU, and not for some marketing promo
wink.gif

I guess more information in the first post would've been helpful, either way, between the 0404 USB and Spitfire, you're probably looking at the two best ~$200 options you'll likely find, theres not much else out there (theres a lot of really cheap stuff that won't improve quality at all, and theres a lot of really expensive stuff that goes over your $250 cap)

what other expensive stuff is there? might be able to extend to $300 or 350

Feb 27, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #34 of 42
theres a list of DACs for convienience here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/al...pt-2-a-325941/

stuff that I was referencing included some more popular choices:
Cambridge Audio DACMagic - ~$399
PreSonus Central Station - ~$500
CI Audio VDA-2 - ~$599 (+$150 for balanced, and +~$200 for upgrade PSU, both optional)
Benchmark DAC1 - ~$1000

of course theres tons of other options on that list as well, maybe you'll find something else?

happy hunting

Mar 12, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #35 of 42
Quote:

the Firestone Spitfire is an external D/A which accepts S/PDIF coaxial or TOS input

I really have to ask, why are you making this so bleeding difficult for everyone else?

Is the S/PDIF coaxial or TOS a big factor in purchasing this particular DAC? I'm not going to use either, I'm going to hook up the DAC directly to my NHT PVC (Passive Volume Control) for the PC using standard 3.5mm inputs.

If it's a big factor, am I better off saving some money and buying a different DAC for the same or lower price?

Thanks

Mar 12, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #36 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the S/PDIF coaxial or TOS a big factor in purchasing this particular DAC? I'm not going to use either, I'm going to hook up the DAC directly to my NHT PVC (Passive Volume Control) for the PC using standard 3.5mm inputs.

If it's a big factor, am I better off saving some money and buying a different DAC for the same or lower price?

Thanks

so reviving a ~month old thread to ask an unrelated question, reasonable, no?

Mar 13, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #40 of 42
what do you guys think about the nuforce icon. i saw a very positive online review of it, but am always skeptical of universal, do it all devices. then again, cell phones are great. none the less, it was a little over 200, not much, and maybe you can get it from ebay or classifieds, or forums for cheaper.

also, you guys are recomending a few sound cards that i have looked into. as a good dac is 300+ plus an amp, will that replace the internal dac of sound cards completely, or will the external some how enhance the sound card. i am not sure if i should spend the little extra and get m-audio 192 instead of the 2496 or the emu 0404 vs 1212. those sell for relatively good price here. or maybe i should consider others. its all about music and movies, though gaming is my weakness too.

Mar 13, 2009 at 8:14 AM Post #41 of 42
Quote:

so reviving a ~month old thread to ask an unrelated question, reasonable, no?

cry me a river

I guess I'll start another thread and add even more clutter to the forums

or you could've answered the question for this helpless newb

take a bow

Mar 13, 2009 at 11:06 AM Post #42 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by godbreath /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what other expensive stuff is there? might be able to extend to $300 or 350

In that case, you'd be a good candidate for the Compass DAC/AMP. See my sig for the FAQ link for it. It comes to a bit over $300 shipped. I'm afraid I can't compare it to anything other than feature-wise. You can use it just as a DAC though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back