$10 Fake Dr Dre Beats Solo [REVIEW]
Apr 10, 2012 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

mrlolftw

Head-Fier
A few of you might of noticed that i posted a thread about 2 weeks ago on how i ordered a pair of (fake) 10$ Dr Dre Solos of eBay

http://www.head-fi.org/t/603362/just-ordered-a-pair-of-10-beats-solos

Well, they came in the mail today, and i listened to them, and i am very impressed. I dont think they're the ones from DealExtreme since they look a bit more...real (the b looks like a b not like a 6, like the DealExtreme ones apparently looked like) They came in a nice box, and the shipping was decent. Heres the review!

THE BOX, AND HEADPHONE PICTURES

Had to take photo sideways to get the whole thing

The back of the box

The box when the sleeve is taken off

Everything that came with it. The swiss army knife is sort of a scale, the box is much smaller then a real solos box, and the headphones come wrapped in lots of bubble wrap and a nice bag

The headphones. Notice the fact that there are two cables not one like on real solos

Side profile. Note: The L is on the outside, in real ones its on the INSIDE

And the gold plated plug, not branded or anything

SOUND
Im listening to them right now, and for 10 dollars, its probably the best headphone in its price range. I seriously think, that these sound as good as the real Solos (not saying much, but for 10 bucks hey?) Im listening to Beethovens 5th Symphony on FLAC on my Sansa CLIP+, and they have character, and a boomy bass (as expected from beats) Also, it seems to have a decent soundstage, differenciating the violins and pianos from each other relativly well (no where near as good as my AKG K240's, but still) They are much much clearer then the 3.10 deal extreme tours i reviewed recently, and no treble increase was needed. The bass is rather in your face, and quiet punchy but the mids and highs are okay.

Techno music and other electronica genres is where these 'phones really start to shine.
Listening to Alex Guadino ft Kelly Rowland What a Feeling (Nicky Romano Mix)
Youtube link- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7Cf5NiAIV4

The bass in the drop is very very punchy, and you can feel it in the ears. Its quiet a sensation. Although one con of it is, that it is quiet muddy. But for the basshead in me, i very much appreaciete (failed spelling...) But we have to keep concluding to the fact, that these cost only $9.99 and as such, i dont expect much. But honestly, for 10 bucks, the sound is one of the best out there (im not much of an audiophile, and have heard a decent amount of headphones, but not as many as some of you guys, so im just relating to what ive heard)

Im quiet convinced, that these sound as good as the REAL $249.99 dollar Dr Dre Solos, and on the 14th (my birthday! :D) Im going to go to my local Jb-Hi-Fi (kind of like a BestBuy?) and compare these to the real ones. Will have to get back with that.

CONCLUSION OF THE SOUND SECTION
PROS-Decent soundstage, punchy bass
CONS-Quite muddy, and sometimes the bass is really overpowering

COMFORT
Comfort has always been an issue for me with over the ear headphones, but real Beats Solos were somewhat okay in terms of comfort for me. The soft pleather was very nice on the ears, and much more comfy then some other headphones (Koss PortaPros and the on ear AKG's being my main issue) which used foam instead of pleather. Luckily, the 10$ Solos also use pleather (albeit much less softer pleather then real ones) But still, they are okay in terms of comfort, and ive been wearing them for the past 30 minutes with very little discomfort. They have a good clamping force and are incredibly light.
No seriously, they're so light its not funny.
No real cons in terms of comfort, except i guess there is no headband on the top, so... but i dont really notice it i guess.

CONCLUSION OF THE SOUND SECTION
PROS-Comfy for over the ear 'phones, uses pleather instead of foam and super light
CONS-No top headband bit.

QUALITY
Well, for 10 dollars, there an okay quality, but going back to our original thing about them being really light, they also feel really, really easily prone to snapping. Just folding them (yea they fold alright!) makes you feel uncomftorble, as they creak and sound like theyre about to shatter into 1 million pieces and kill everyone within a 4km radius. The cable (s) are really thin at the top before the hit the splitter, which they then become a bit thicker, but still, i think they'de be prone to tearing if your not careful with them.
The paint is also a bit of a dodgy job, with little bubbles in some areas, but is mostly not noticable from a while away. ALSO! They dont have a Dr Dre Beats thing on the top, so if your getting these to fool your friends, unless theyre blind or see you from 4km away, they'll know that theyre fake.

The b on the headphones is good, as it looks more like a b not like a 6! (i was told all the 10 dollar solos were basically a 6 not a b, so impressive.

CONCLUSION OF THE QUALITY SECTION
PROS-Light, the b is more of a b, and not a 6
CONS-Prone to snapping if your not careful with them, really thin wires, paint seems a bit dodgy, no Dr Dre Logo on the headband

FINAL SCORE

Sound: 4.5/10
Quality: 2/5
Accessories: 0/5 (what accessories? theres nothing in the box!)
Value: 9/10
OVERALL: 5/10

Are they worth it? For a pair of cheap 'phones that sound decent, and look nice they're worth $10, and they also sound roughly like real ones, but ill have to test that out (not so sure yet) will update when i find out!

Verdict
Buy 'em, they're decent, and for the price you cant really go wrong. Also, you can confuse all the dumb people by showing off your totally LEGIT Beats!

-mrlolftw

(3rd review btw!)

Apr 11, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #5 of 35

Quote:

Well, they came in the mail today, and i listened to them, and i am very impressed.

You are either very easily impressed or in dire need of a visit to your audiologist.  Seriously, man.  A laughable but apparently serious attempt at reviewing fugazi 'phones is a new low point.  

Apr 11, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #6 of 35

Quote:
You are either very easily impressed or in dire need of a visit to your audiologist.  Seriously, man.  A laughable but apparently serious attempt at reviewing fugazi 'phones is a new low point.  

Oh be nice he's at least contributing something here. He's making me want to buy one these fakes just for the 'lulz' factor.

Apr 11, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #8 of 35

Quote:

They were 10 dollars dont forgot. Seriously, tell me what headphones sound that good for 10 dollars (that are on ear)

Apr 11, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #12 of 35

Quote:
Just wanted to point out that most people going to head-fi isn't really looking at $10 headphones even if it is the absolute best sound to cost ratio.

Well, i just thought it would be fun, and i enjoy working on my reviews.

Apr 11, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #13 of 35

Quote:

Well, i just thought it would be fun, and i enjoy working on my reviews.

Do what you enjoy, but was just saying my opinion. If my opinion holds true, it may be why you're receiving some of the negative feedback that you have.

The one thing I do have a problem with is knockoffs in general. Knockoffs tend to be sold to fund not so pleasant things. Yes this is a generalization and isn't true for everything.

Apr 11, 2012 at 4:48 AM Post #14 of 35
You guys may be taking him too seriously. It almost seems like he's trolling, considering his name is "mrlolftw".  That said, if these headphones are comparable in sound quality to KSC75's, or somewhere close, and they're $10, than whose to say he can't review them?

I just think he's trolling more than anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back