10 Biggest Lies in Audio
Jan 31, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #256 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What makes you think Jax never stopped to consider that possibility?

And using the same analogy, why should sugar pill believers think $100 a pound sugar is superior to $2 a pound sugar when all the specs are about the same?

Lets toss a little chum in the water and watch the feeding frenzy. And who said I didn't have an open mind?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willie2
Arguing with a believer is like arguing with the wall.

Amen. Works both ways.

Jan 31, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #257 of 278
Nice link, but just so nobody takes the link to mean what I said is wrong, what I'm talking about is a hypothetical where the content is already known. The link is talking about pills where the taker aren't aware of what the pill ACTUALLY is made out of. Pretty much everyone using cables has a good understanding of what cables are made out of.

Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's wrong with buying sugar pills if they make you feel better? I'd do it.

It's medically unethical to lie. And since modern medicine, or at least what they give to the general public, has yet to reduce the process by which placebo affects its manifold observed cures into a system of practical application you have a bunch of snake-oil salesmen running around. While we're playing with analogies, I think the way orthodox medicine is scientifically lazy has caused new-age baloney to grow like weeds, quite equivalent to how I see anti-cablers treat the issue of cables.

Jan 31, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #259 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not possible. Cable believers conflate the price tag with sound quality.

Problem solved.

REVOLUTIONARY CABLE UPGRADE!

A bit dated now, but still a goodie if I do say so myself.
atsmile.gif

se

Jan 31, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #260 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Problem solved.

REVOLUTIONARY CABLE UPGRADE!

A bit dated now, but still a goodie if I do say so myself.
atsmile.gif

se

That's hilarious! Thanks for the link! I hadn't seen that one. Now that it's been out a while, I'm sure the Cryo'd Audiophile Price Tag™ must be available!!

Jan 31, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #261 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by jax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's hilarious! Thanks for the link! I hadn't seen that one. Now that it's been out a while, I'm sure the Cryo'd Audiophile Price Tag™ must be available!!

You betcha! And we're even working on an Audiophile Price Tag cooker for breaking in your tag without having to wait hundreds of hours!
atsmile.gif

se

Jan 31, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #262 of 278
Quote:

You betcha! And we're even working on an Audiophile Price Tag cooker for breaking in your tag without having to wait hundreds of hours!
atsmile.gif

se

I just read that there's a workaround for tag break-in. Just attach your tag to a Sub-Zero refrigerator (a Mercedes AMG v-12 might also do in a pinch) and you can cut that time down by 1/3 with no further investment in a tag cooker.

Jan 31, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #263 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by jax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lets toss a little chum in the water and watch the feeding frenzy. And who said I didn't have an open mind?

Part of the reason that I think using the term placebo is a bit off is the medical usage of the word. The fact that the article linked goes to something about Dan Ariely the author of "predicatbly irrational" is a kind of funny.

A link to a bit of a talk by Ariely.
YouTube - Dan Ariely asks, Are we in control of our decisions?

ETA.
Ariely on Placebo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHBwH...eature=related

Jan 31, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #264 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's wrong with buying sugar pills if they make you feel better? I'd do it.

Nothing is wrong with it but if you *know* it's sugar pills, in other words you know it does nothing 'real' just purely psychological, then in reality you wouldn't even need sugar pills you could just will yourself to feel better. Of course there aren't a bunch of pseudo-science people trying to sell you sugar pills for insane markups. However there might be a parallel in the health field with various unfounded 'cures' that while not rediculously priced like cables may be a waste anyway.

Jan 31, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #265 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by JadeEast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Part of the reason that I think using the term placebo is a bit off is the medical usage of the word. The fact that the article linked goes to something about Dan Ariely the author of "predicatbly irrational" is a kind of funny.

A link to a bit of a talk by Ariely.
YouTube - Dan Ariely asks, Are we in control of our decisions?

ETA.
Ariely on Placebo.
YouTube - Dan Ariely - Why Do Placebos Work?

GREAT STUFF! The TED Conference never ceases to amaze me - there's a pretty good documentary film out on it. Very thought provoking. Thanks for the those links.

MadMan007 - you should watch the second link to Ariely on Placebo. Fascinating, and not at all surprising.

Feb 1, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #266 of 278
Willie2, I mostly agree with this article, but I think the author misses some good points.

Tubes are wonderful because they're easy to work with, understand and repair. For example, I built a Dynalo in 2006. If it breaks, I can't get all the replacement parts in 2010. However, I also have a 1925 Atwater-Kent radio. I can get or make the parts for it 85 years on. You can fix pretty much any piece of tube gear ever made while chips more than a few years old can be unobtanium unless you cannibalize another unit.

If I'm going to put four or five figures into audio gear, it's going to be tubed. I do not want a $3,000 solid state doorstop that cannot be repaired and might be worth $150 as scrap. At least with tube gear, it can always be repaired. That is where I'll put my money.

And he entirely misses the point of vinyl. Technical stuff aside, the reason you should have a turntable is because it gives you access to a *lot* of music you can't get in any other format. Cheap and legal music, too. You can go to a junk store and cart out a box of vinyl for $10 or $20 and every one of those records may not have been released on CD. Avoiding vinl for some technical reason is silly if you love to explore music. Clean records on a good deck sound pretty special, too. Maybe not quite as good as digital, but they sound damned good.

Feb 1, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #267 of 278
Erik I know you know for sure that solid state unless something really bad, in the design, are supposed to last a lot longer than most of the tube gear, the only parts that wear in a SS gear are the capacitors, and this applies for both solid state and tubes...transistors and chips will last virtually for your entire lifetime in earth...
Now tubes are not "always" reparable, who say that, at least not to the original condition, tubes from the golden era are now imposible to get, and while it is true that you can get nowadays tubes brews, they do not sound the same, and hey, for how long??? Are you really aware guys how much a good tube from the 50's will cost right now? I stopped using tubes the last time I was chasing a Silvania tube for a preamp, the cost was literaly the double of the preamp itself, no way I will spend that money in a tube, and that is, if you can find them NOS, which is almost imposible...
But that is true that tubes, and that is the reason they exists nowadays, and the reason while many manufactures crave about them, and try to push them as the best creation since sliced bread, but the fact is that they are a lot easy to build, use a lot less parts, and a lot less knowledge of electronics in general, plus you will have tons of proven designs that will sound decent to choose from...
wink.gif

Feb 1, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #268 of 278
Thank you Uncle Eric. That gives me a new prospective on both vinyl as well as tubes. I know what you mean about tubes. I have played with ham radio for a number of years and am an extra class. I can easily understand tube diagrams and how they work but transistors and i.c.'s sometimes boggle my mind. Right now I am just using my computer through a dac/amp and headphones. If I wanted to get into vinyl with pretty good sound and not too much money, which way should I go? Thanks again for your reply.

Feb 2, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #269 of 278
Quote:

That wouldn't be so bad as long as the DBT prohibition policy was accompanied by a policy also prohibiting the passing off of subjective experiences as objective reality.

Surely the headphone and amp sections are not full of subjective experiences being passed off as objective reality.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 2, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #270 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrackBerry9000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Surely the headphone and amp sections are not full of subjective experiences being passed off as objective reality.
rolleyes.gif

Naaaaah.

And stop calling me Shirley.
atsmile.gif

se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back