10 Biggest Lies in Audio
Dec 23, 2009 at 8:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 278

gurusan

100+ Head-Fier
Not sure if this has been posted already. If it has, forgive me.
http://www.theaudiocritic.com/downloads/article_1.pdf

This is sure to open a can of worms here but I'm also sure it will make a great discussion
smily_headphones1.gif

Much of what he says I totally agree with with my limited knowledge of electronics and just plain common sense.

However regarding the tubes....I thought we all knew they weren't the best choice for sound reproduction, but that we use them because their distortion is more "pleasant" and they influence the sound in a pleasing way?

Dec 23, 2009 at 9:09 AM Post #2 of 278
This article is about 10 years old. Man, How humorous can a topic get? What are people saying now about those things? Just wondering?

Dec 23, 2009 at 9:51 AM Post #3 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This article is about 10 years old.

So what does the age of the article have to do with it? Audio equipment don't age like computer parts. Stuff from 10 years ago can still be considered top performers, if not state-of-the-art.
Quote:

Man, How humorous can a topic get?

What's so funny?
Quote:

What are people saying now about those things?

What are you talking about?
Quote:

Just wondering?

Huh?

Dec 23, 2009 at 10:03 AM Post #4 of 278
If you don't understand the point, it is OK. Not a big deal. Really. Search the threads and Get A Clue?

Dec 23, 2009 at 10:36 AM Post #7 of 278
Absolutely, and using the SEARCH option will not hurt at all with this subject.

Dec 23, 2009 at 10:40 AM Post #8 of 278
Believe what you want to believe. These have all been argued into the ground with no real results.

Dec 23, 2009 at 11:35 AM Post #11 of 278
I love it when people argue against this article... no real standing other than, "Well when I listen on MY system, there's such a clear difference that you must have tin ears not to hear it." Well, if it means I save thousands of dollars for ZERO improvement, then hand me the oil can!

Dec 23, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #12 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 on that. Believe what you believe but more than that... trust your own ears

anyone serious about this hobby should know/learn enough basic perceptual psychology/psychoacoustics to know that its hard to get past errors and bias in "simple" "just listen" type comparisons

extending the prohibition of DBT discussion policy beyond the cable forum is one of the biggest disservices to the community at headfi

Dec 23, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #15 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
extending the prohibition of DBT discussion policy beyond the cable forum is one of the biggest disservices to the community at headfi

That wouldn't be so bad as long as the DBT prohibition policy was accompanied by a policy also prohibiting the passing off of subjective experiences as objective reality.

se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back