1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

10 Biggest Lies in Audio

Discussion in 'Sound Science' started by gurusan, Dec 23, 2009.
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Next

Last
  1. gurusan
    Not sure if this has been posted already. If it has, forgive me.
    http://www.theaudiocritic.com/downloads/article_1.pdf

This is sure to open a can of worms here but I'm also sure it will make a great discussion [​IMG]

Much of what he says I totally agree with with my limited knowledge of electronics and just plain common sense.

However regarding the tubes....I thought we all knew they weren't the best choice for sound reproduction, but that we use them because their distortion is more "pleasant" and they influence the sound in a pleasing way?

rsaavedra likes this.
  2. BIG POPPA
    This article is about 10 years old. Man, How humorous can a topic get? What are people saying now about those things? Just wondering?

3. HD-5000
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    This article is about 10 years old.

So what does the age of the article have to do with it? Audio equipment don't age like computer parts. Stuff from 10 years ago can still be considered top performers, if not state-of-the-art.
    Quote:

Man, How humorous can a topic get?

What's so funny?
    Quote:

What are people saying now about those things?

What are you talking about?
    Quote:

Just wondering?

Huh?

4. BIG POPPA
    If you don't understand the point, it is OK. Not a big deal. Really. Search the threads and Get A Clue?

5. HD-5000
    I was trying to decipher your cryptic English and your last post doesn't help much.

6. gurusan
    I think he was just encouraging further discussion.

7. BIG POPPA
    Absolutely, and using the SEARCH option will not hurt at all with this subject.

8. fenixdown110
    Believe what you want to believe. These have all been argued into the ground with no real results.

9. HD-5000
    Encouraging further discussion by pointing me to the search bar. Now my head hurts.

10. donunus
    x2 on that. Believe what you believe but more than that... trust your own ears

11. TStewart422
    I love it when people argue against this article... no real standing other than, "Well when I listen on MY system, there's such a clear difference that you must have tin ears not to hear it." Well, if it means I save thousands of dollars for ZERO improvement, then hand me the oil can!

12. jcx
    Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    x2 on that. Believe what you believe but more than that... trust your own ears

anyone serious about this hobby should know/learn enough basic perceptual psychology/psychoacoustics to know that its hard to get past errors and bias in "simple" "just listen" type comparisons

extending the prohibition of DBT discussion policy beyond the cable forum is one of the biggest disservices to the community at headfi

13. donunus
    Of course but that comment was to make the long story short

14. SoulSyde
    What a great article, very well written and amazingly insightful. And, THANK YOU if it is a re-post.

15. Steve Eddy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jcx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    extending the prohibition of DBT discussion policy beyond the cable forum is one of the biggest disservices to the community at headfi

That wouldn't be so bad as long as the DBT prohibition policy was accompanied by a policy also prohibiting the passing off of subjective experiences as objective reality.

se

2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Next

Last