10,000 Word Reviews
Oct 17, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #16 of 22

Quote:
Agreed.  However, my comment applies to amateur reviews in audio forums, too.

Not all p40n is professional. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:
I don't know a whole lot about phones, but the more I learn, the less I want to say.....

Agreed, I prefer concise reviews/impressions. 

That written, Boomana's link may be the best review I have ever globally glanced through on Head-Fi. A good essay is worth it...

Oct 17, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #18 of 22
agreed, purple 6moon'ish prose is getting odd...really.

a good review should be written after a few months of use to avoid the new toy syndrom, and have pros/cons listed. We're gear sluts, nothing more. If you're up to writing poetry, write an essay and get published or something...you're doing it wrong.

Oct 17, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #19 of 22
Agreed!  It seems at times that there is an inverse relationship between the usefulness of a review to the number of words written.  There has to be purpose in the words written but reviews that just continue rambling on seem to be long for the sake of being overly "polished" and "showy".  In the end, just show me lots of pictures and give me a few thoughts with the perceived pros/cons.

Oct 18, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #21 of 22
Quote:
I also like when the reviewer runs off a 20-line brag list of their gear including a laundry list of obscure modifications and tweaks.

Those can still be useful. I used to have a blog devoted to that sort of thing but it disappeared with the 'old Head-Fi'. Obscure modifications and tweaks can be annoying though when all the gear is modified and tweaked.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back