「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Apr 9, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #175,846 of 177,744
Googled it. Multiple people on Reddit claim it has problems with pixelation issues on blues and oranges (especially the former). It's the first one with this issue mentioned, so I think I can safely discard it. :-/

Interesting!

Mind sending me a few links please? Never noticed any of these issues on mine. Also this 25 inch has been refreshed a few times, so the one I own isn't the exact model number as the one in the link. Even when I bought it, the were multiple models at the time, each with small variances. I always thought the only difference was the stand, ports and the inclusion of speakers, but not so much the panel. Maybe it's actually a different panel now, I got lucky and other people got defective products or I just never noticed the issue? Love to look into it more.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 5:42 AM Post #175,847 of 177,744
Interesting!

Mind sending me a few links please? Never noticed any of these issues on mine. Also this 25 inch has been refreshed a few times, so the one I own isn't the exact model number as the one in the link. Even when I bought it, the were multiple models at the time, each with small variances. I always thought the only difference was the stand, ports and the inclusion of speakers, but not so much the panel. Maybe it's actually a different panel now, I got lucky and other people got defective products or I just never noticed the issue? Love to look into it more.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/6cxayj/lg_24mp59gp_need_some_advice_first_impressions/

This is the main one. Seen the comments echoed in local Polish forums/store reviews.
Again, haven't seen it in person, so I'm not sure how much would I really see it IRL.

Apr 9, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #175,848 of 177,744
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/6cxayj/lg_24mp59gp_need_some_advice_first_impressions/

This is the main one. Seen the comments echoed in local Polish forums/store reviews.
Again, haven't seen it in person, so I'm not sure how much would I really see it IRL.

Ah yes, I've seen that one.
Can't say about the 24 inch gaming monitor. The 25 inch ultrawide will have issues out of the box if the GPU drivers do not support the ultrawide format naively and will look extremely blurry and pixelated. When inside bios, when you just built a new pc and GPU drivers are not up to date, or when you uninstall drivers to install new ones, cookies will look weird, text may be blurry,
And you may either get letterbox effect or stretched screen (even more blurry), but that's just a drivers thing.

Haven't really bumped into anything major that I couldn't fix, but I suspect legacy programs that don't know how to handled ultrawide might have issues without any workarounds. I play Skyrim in 16:9 with black bars on the side because it doesn't like the screen's native aspect ratio. Also bumps fps up a noticable chunk.

I can't read Polish, sadly. I feel what I said is somewhat possible but shouldn't be a common issue unless you're using a GPU with no updates in a long long time, as it's a simple fix. Pixel density isn't super high, but it should be the equivalent of 1080p on a 22 inch screen for the ultrawide so it shouldn't be a hardware thing.

You think the problem might just be from people using very old systems and don't update their GPU drivers? Even my R9 390 doesn't support the ultrawide format out of the box.

As for the colors, I never used any of the included modes and calibrated the panel. I've had no issues with colours when running my 25 inch ultrawide at 75 Hz but I leave it at 60. If the 24 inch is marketed to run at 75 but has issues, probably is indeed best to stay away from it.

Nothing really negative to say about the colors even set up properly, but I know that the reading mode really plays with the blues and oranges specifically (the whole blue light is evil and everything should have an orange tint marketing thing that's been going on with eyecare branded monitors). You think it might also be that combined with some of the other stuff (like the backlight strobing)? I really doubt it though.

Not doubting you in any way. I'm really curious about it but just can't read Polish, nor can I find too much about that in English.

Tend to recommend this monitor to friends for productivity and casual gaming due to good experience so I would love to be more informed. Also never owned the 24 inch 16:9 one do I can't measure it personally. Not much in depth info about it to be found in English online too...

Might have to stay away from recommending it if the issues you hear can't be solved easily.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #175,849 of 177,744
if I rely on years of online gaming, you can tell a lot in Polish using only the word that starts with "kur" and ends in "wa". :flushed:
I learned to say that in Czech(using a V instead of W), in Finnish, and a few other languages over the years. online games really brought up the European in me ^_^.

Apr 9, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #175,850 of 177,744
if I rely on years of online gaming, you can tell a lot in Polish using only the word that starts with "kur" and ends in "wa". :flushed:
I learned to say that in Czech(using a V instead of W), in Finnish, and a few other languages over the years. online games really brought up the European in me ^_^.
Online gaming made me realise how tame the online chat is in mainland China vs here in NA...

---------

Anyone here read Korean by any chance? My parents bought me a new pan but everything is in Korean.

I'm curious what it says/if there's anything I should watch out for.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #175,851 of 177,744
So, form looking around I have at 60/75hz:
  • Acer RT240Y [IPS] - can I assume this and RT240HY are the same (for example different names between regions)? Also, it can do 75hz.
  • Dell Ultrasharp U2414H - the one you mentioned. Seems nice, although that limited RGB bug sounds annoying if I forget about it (luckily it's only done once unless I clean reinstall GPU drivers). Might be a bit too expensive in Poland. Only a bit cheaper than the 144hz ones.
Still, both are IPS (seems most today are?) and I'm kinda iffy about the potential IPS glow issues. I remember my friend replacing his monitor 2 times (IIRC), which kinda put me off.That was Asus - apparently they have worse QC than other manufacturers? He eventually returned it and bought something else, which he stuck with. Guess I gotta praise RNGesus. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As far as 144hz go:
  • Acer ED273A [VA] - this was an interesting choice, but seen reviews and comments mentioning ghosting/blur (there's also the "1080p on 27'" thing. Some people say it's not enough PPI, but others -including a friend of mine- say it's OK). NVM, not available in Poland - only the 60hz version is (ED273 without the "A"). Yay distinctive naming!
  • BenQ/Zowie XL2411 [TN] - seems to be kind of a good all-rounder among the 144hz 24-inchers?
Googled it. Multiple people on Reddit claim it has problems with pixelation issues on blues and oranges (especially the former). It's the first one with this issue mentioned, so I think I can safely discard it. :-/

There is one company selling post-leasing gear around here (is this what you meant? Not sure about any other company selling not-brand-new computer stuff) and while there is U2412M, its ~USD200. So, yeah... about that...

You're blowing the "problem" of IPS glow way out of proportion. It's basically a non-factor. Unless the monitor is that bad it's basically irrelevant. Also high probability that your friend, if it was problems with backlighting, had problems with backlight bleeding rather than IPS glow. IPS glow isn't uneven; rather it's very even. Backlight bleeding, however, is not. Even backlight bleed isn't even a thing; it basically just turns into reduced contrast ratio/lighter blacks.

The color signal thing is a really easy fix.

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/dell-u2414h/

ASUS is a company I usually just avoid. They're that company that can get 95% of the things right and then are just missing that last 5% of polish which can make for some really annoying stuff, but hey, you get what you pay for.

Most 60Hz monitors can do 75Hz from my memory. A lot of the ones I've used just have the option in menus. The panel "overclocking" thing that became popular was just some garbage that was proliferated by the inexpensive Korean monitors with B grade IPS panels (A grades are the ones that go to Ultrasharps, etc.) with display controllers that let people with lucky panels hit 90Hz refresh rate or higher.

The magic bullet is MicroLED (what we used to call QLED but after some marketing garbage, QLED isn't actually QLED anymore): 178-180 degree viewing angles, no backlight bleed (since the pixels are the backlight), much longer lifespan than OLED, and good chance for high refresh rate. We won't be seeing any of that for the next 5 years and the stuff that does come out will cost a fortune anyways.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #175,852 of 177,744
no amount of calibration brought more joy in my life than tape on the glowing white led when my Dells are on standby. leds on gears is to me like maxed out settings in games. I go "wow it's pretty" for 5secs, then I start looking for ways to get rid of them.

Apr 10, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #175,853 of 177,744
Ebay items are all new, just taking advantage of the coupon code. Prices are in AUD so they look inflated.

Ryzen 1200 - $135 (MSY)
8gb RAM - $101 (eBay)
Poopy A320M - $72 (eBay)
Corsair spec alpha - $87 (eBay) (non-negotiable request bleh)
Corsair VS450 - $49 (MSY)
Intel 545S 256GB - $101 (eBay)
1060 6GB - $440 (eBay)

Total is $985, the power supply sort of pisses me off though, budget is a firm 1k.

The 1060 3GB is $340 vs $440, so we're paying 30% more on the GPU for only ~8% more performance, the 3GB ram limitation isn't thaaaaaaat bad, it's not like this thing has to ultra everything anyway. I'm tossing and turning just getting the 3GB and putting the money towards a better power supply and motherboard.

With a 44% of funds GPU allocation I'm pretty happy. If the mining boom didn't happen I think I'd be able to fit a 1070 in there, maybe. XD

Apr 10, 2018 at 6:11 AM Post #175,854 of 177,744
Ebay items are all new, just taking advantage of the coupon code. Prices are in AUD so they look inflated.

Ryzen 1200 - $135 (MSY)
8gb RAM - $101 (eBay)
Poopy A320M - $72 (eBay)
Corsair spec alpha - $87 (eBay) (non-negotiable request bleh)
Corsair VS450 - $49 (MSY)
Intel 545S 256GB - $101 (eBay)
1060 6GB - $440 (eBay)

Total is $985, the power supply sort of pisses me off though, budget is a firm 1k.

The 1060 3GB is $340 vs $440, so we're paying 30% more on the GPU for only ~8% more performance, the 3GB ram limitation isn't thaaaaaaat bad, it's not like this thing has to ultra everything anyway. I'm tossing and turning just getting the 3GB and putting the money towards a better power supply and motherboard.

With a 44% of funds GPU allocation I'm pretty happy. If the mining boom didn't happen I think I'd be able to fit a 1070 in there, maybe. XD
Oh hey, I recently got an Intel 545S too!

Screen Shot 2018-04-10 at 8.09.08 pm.png
IMG_4423.jpg

Watched Edge of Tomorrow and thought "Hey this is kinda like Re-Zero!"

While I haven't read the source manga/LN it's a pretty nice "live adaptation".

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #175,855 of 177,744
Oh hey, I recently got an Intel 545S too!

Just remember, all you need is kill. :wink:

---------------

Really enjoying the Logitech M720. Still don't like the shape but I found a position that I'm comfortable with. I guess I couldn't put my hand on it like that when I was trying it at stores where the mice was fixed.

Middle click is extremely stiff and a bit wobbly. There's very uncomfortably stiff, and then there's this. The wobble makes side clicks with it hard too, which is a bummer for those who got this mouse hoping that side scrolling works well. Perhaps a placebo, but the clicks seem to be getting more comfortable to use. One way or another, I'll get used to it.

Very minor complaint: sensor position is a bit weird. Off center, on one side and near the back of the mouse, so when I lift it, the cursor moves a decent bit rather than stay as I reposition the mouse.

Aside from these nitpicks, I'm very satisfied with it. If they make a silent version, with a less stiff middle click, I'll buy it in a heartbeat and have the current one to my parents. Don't seem to have long lag issues that other people have complained about regarding the scroll wheel not working after a few seconds of idle. There is a small stutter when it hasn't moved for a few seconds, but the scroll wheel works when it's idling and the stutter is not a big deal for how I play games, especially as it only happens when the mouse hasn't moved for a short period.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 6:54 AM Post #175,856 of 177,744
You're blowing the "problem" of IPS glow way out of proportion. It's basically a non-factor. Unless the monitor is that bad it's basically irrelevant. Also high probability that your friend, if it was problems with backlighting, had problems with backlight bleeding rather than IPS glow. IPS glow isn't uneven; rather it's very even. Backlight bleeding, however, is not. Even backlight bleed isn't even a thing; it basically just turns into reduced contrast ratio/lighter blacks.
I guess so. Or should I say, hopefully. :p
But yeah. As I've mentioned I don't know crap about LCDs and might be overreacting. Would help if I had an option to compare, but I actually went to a few stores and all the monitors were either unplugged or running one Samsung phone ad that I presume is rather compressed - leave alone the terrible settings. Shame, because I found at least the Zowie and the LG U-3C mentioned. Not in the same store, tho.

The color signal thing is a really easy fix.

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/dell-u2414h/
Yeah, that's what I was talking about. Surprising that it happened to this line of monitors and no one else I've looked up yet.

Most 60Hz monitors can do 75Hz from my memory. A lot of the ones I've used just have the option in menus. The panel "overclocking" thing that became popular was just some garbage that was proliferated by the inexpensive Korean monitors with B grade IPS panels (A grades are the ones that go to Ultrasharps, etc.) with display controllers that let people with lucky panels hit 90Hz refresh rate or higher.
Huh, didn't know. Thought it had to do with FreeSync. Although from what I understand, FreeSync is actually some rebadged existing standard or something like that?

Apr 10, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #175,857 of 177,744

the Groundhogs from another world want to invade Earth and "terraform" it into an endless winter where they can look at their own shadows to time travel. only Bill Murray can stop them! Bill Murray is killer cage! ^_^

check out the manga (or light novel, but they're not too different for once and the manga IMO looks pretty cool). also the ending is more shovel in the face yet logical than the lame idea and circumstances in the movie.
the good thing going for the movie is that they made a bunch of jokes(Groundhog Day copycat!).

talking about ending in the face, I saw the end of Killing Bites(manga) yesterday. I thought the all manga was really dumb and without any original ideas or proper scenario, and I stand by that. but the end pleased me immensely and almost makes it up for the bad dialogs and battle strategies from the Rocky movies.
I've come to think that to satisfy my need of fights, I need Japanese studios to start doing a all lot of anime based on Chinese and Korean battle manwhatever. like I can't die until I've seen a good Japanese studio doingThe Breaker in anime. if it takes 2 hundred years, I'll wait. this is more important that dying.

Apr 10, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #175,858 of 177,744
I've come to think that to satisfy my need of fights, I need Japanese studios to start doing a all lot of anime based on Chinese and Korean battle manwhatever. like I can't die until I've seen a good Japanese studio doingThe Breaker in anime. if it takes 2 hundred years, I'll wait. this is more important that dying.
Your life is worth living.

Apr 10, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #175,859 of 177,744
Gah I decided to go for the 3GB 1060 and swapped the Corsair VS450 for a Seasonic Focus 450W (7 year warranty yay). The build isn't for me, and I can't have a 1k system blow up in 3-4 years or I'll feel responsible. =P

That wasn't an easy call to make but budgets have to be adhered to or else it's anarchy.

Apr 10, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #175,860 of 177,744
Gah I decided to go for the 3GB 1060 and swapped the Corsair VS450 for a Seasonic Focus 450W (7 year warranty yay). The build isn't for me, and I can't have a 1k system blow up in 3-4 years or I'll feel responsible. =P

That wasn't an easy call to make but budgets have to be adhered to or else it's anarchy.

Honestly, if it's for someone who isn't a bit tech savy, that small boost in performance won't be noticeable or even acknowledged unless you mention it to the person. What will matter more is the person turned to you to build a PC because they don't have confidence in assembling one well themself. It will be more of a problem if something in the thing malfunctions vs you get 8% less FPS in games, especially if they don't follow the news and have a very clear expectation regarding what different GPUs are capable of.

---------------------------------------------------------

My school's selling some used laptops for 400 CAD plus tax. Almost a third the original price! Don't know the exact model but they should include no less than Skylake quad core CPUs with Nvidia 960m GPUs. Don't need a laptop even though it's an amazing deal, so I asked if they have any malfunctioning ones that I can scrape for parts. A few cheap sticks of DDR4 RAM and storage drives (M.2 or 2.5 inch) won't hurt. :D

If it's a good laptop, I might still buy one just as a backup. Again, still don't know the model, but if they were last year's 1050ti laptops, I'll buy one.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back