「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Apr 6, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #175,831 of 177,744
Oh no...

And I was storing tears because I finally have time in 3 days to catch up on the last 9 episodes... D:

I'm about to binge it over the weekend with low-ish expectations so maybe I'll be blown away?

Trying to find a good car battery charger, it's quite annoying as everything has gone "smart" and set-and-forget, I need manual settings with a voltage/current readout gahhhhh.

Apr 6, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #175,832 of 177,744
Just watched ep1, well its ok poi so far.

Also watched that horse girl show by PA works, yeah basically kemomimi girls racing

Hell yeah me too XD

Just saw this comparison of original Gegege no Kitaro to the new series (yep same character), damn gotta give it a watch :>
Wait... HOW?

Apr 6, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #175,833 of 177,744
Wait... HOW?

v6j3t8xhc1q01.jpg

Are stainless braided brake lines worth it? The internets is flip-floppy and some say the increase in pedal feel is only in cars that also had the brake fluid changed, so it was the old fluid that made the pedal mushy and not the rubber lines. I just want to see a graph comparing pedal force vs travel bleh.

Then again the soup is old enough to drink now...might think about replacing them and putting stainless lines in just because.

Apr 6, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #175,834 of 177,744
I have stainless braided lines on my car. It makes a positive difference but changing the pads even so. My last set of Project Mu HC800+ are a lot firmer feeling (and bites a lot harder) than the Brembo Sport HP2000 pads I have currently.

Pedal feel differences on blank disc IMO
Brake pads themselves > Master cylinder bracing > brake fluid and lines

Apr 6, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #175,835 of 177,744
@vantt1 IIRC there's an OVA or movie announced or whatever (some announcement for a new project on twitter).

It was kind of a lame ending because it basically gave away that Gilbert is alive, so I assume we'll get maybe a 50 minute OVA or maybe like a 3 episode OVA where we see what happened to Gilbert after the war and why he chose to do what he did.

Apr 6, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #175,836 of 177,744
@vantt1 IIRC there's an OVA or movie announced or whatever (some announcement for a new project on twitter).

It was kind of a lame ending because it basically gave away that Gilbert is alive, so I assume we'll get maybe a 50 minute OVA or maybe like a 3 episode OVA where we see what happened to Gilbert after the war and why he chose to do what he did.
giphy.gif

The LN says
Gilbert is alive and everyone was just hiding it from Violet and the anime ending is anime original
, so Gilbert is MIA at best. No body was ever found and

Violet's reaction at the very end of ep13 did not seem like it was from seeing Gilbert

"Schrödinger's Gilbert"

After a while, if you don't know whether Gilbert is dead or alive, he is both dead and alive.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #175,837 of 177,744
Yeah I skimmed volume 2 of the LN. I know what happens. Didn't want to say anything because spoilers, although not really because once you know he's alive, it's pretty easy to guess why he decided to hide himself.

Apr 7, 2018 at 4:49 AM Post #175,838 of 177,744
Gundam Build Divers OP is so catchy and visually awesome, ep1 is great too

Apr 8, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #175,839 of 177,744
Thinking about finally getting a modern monitor (mostly since I bought a stick and returned to Tekken/DOA and neither supports proper 4:3 aspect ratio) and the more I look, the more stupid and more depressed I feel. [insert your favorite Zetsubou Sensei reaction pic here]

Most people are probably used to the buying woes by now, but I'm very LTTP because I'm cheap and still use my CRT, since it still works.

Don't have much money to spend - right now it's just $150-200, which from what I understand should give me a decent, but not great, 60/75 Hz screen.
The number 1 use would be gaming, so I was thinking of maybe waiting a few months to let's say my birthday and going 144 Hz. Still, I would probably only be able to bump up the range ~$300. Not sure if it would give me anything worth buying. Hell, I'm not even sure how much I would notice the higher frame rate (75 is what I use now). I don't think I have anywhere to properly demo and compare - especially in low-light situations.

To add to it, it seems every kind of panel has major flaws, that seem to appear across all price ranges, and I don't have actual experience with any of them:
- TN have the shittiest colors
- IPS have very common backlight bleed/IPS glow issues, maybe some ghosting(?) and a bit worse response time
- VA have crapton of ghosting issues (at least the one I've seen reviews of)

It even seems like not all monitors at the price range have some kind of flicker-free technology, which apparently actually helps reduce the eyestrain.

Looks like LCD was a mistake, it's nothing but trash.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #175,840 of 177,744
TN panels are fine. They can have good color accuracy but they just have poor viewing angles. TN benefits the most from curved panels. They tend to have the fastest response time of the big 3 panel technologies.

IPS glow is mostly a quality control thing as well as something inherent to the tech. Most manufacturers are usually pretty good about it. IPS glow is kind of unavoidable and you'll only really notice if you're viewing a pitch black image in a dark room. Response time can be dealt with via pixel overdrive. Check sites like TFTCentral.co.uk or PCMonitors.info. If the overdrive is too aggressive, you'll see a (usually) dark afterimage appear (overshoot). If it's not strong enough or there's none, you'll see the usual afterimage. A lot of IPS monitors have overdrive nowadays.
There aren't that many VA panels but I do remember them being the closest to the silver bullet. The last time I checked up on monitors, the available VA monitors were quite good.

As for PWM, usually less expensive monitors will use PWM and more expensive ones will use a very high frequency PWM or voltage control (e.g. Dell Ultrasharps). People who are sensitive to PWM will only notice if the PWM frequency is at a relatively low frequency. Very high frequency PWM and voltage control are effectively indistinguishable.

Dell Ultrasharp U2414H is a great option. U2415 if you want a 16:10 panel. They're $210 and $230 respectively on Amazon right now.

144Hz only makes sense if your computer can drive it and that's basically 1070 Ti or above for most games on high to ultra, 1070 for medium. Asynchronous frame syncing (G-Sync, FreeSync) is pretty useless once you're past the 45-60 Hz range because at that point the effects of screen tearing are so minor it's basically pointless.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #175,841 of 177,744
Thinking about finally getting a modern monitor (mostly since I bought a stick and returned to Tekken/DOA and neither supports proper 4:3 aspect ratio) and the more I look, the more stupid and more depressed I feel. [insert your favorite Zetsubou Sensei reaction pic here]

Most people are probably used to the buying woes by now, but I'm very LTTP because I'm cheap and still use my CRT, since it still works.

Don't have much money to spend - right now it's just $150-200, which from what I understand should give me a decent, but not great, 60/75 Hz screen.
The number 1 use would be gaming, so I was thinking of maybe waiting a few months to let's say my birthday and going 144 Hz. Still, I would probably only be able to bump up the range ~$300. Not sure if it would give me anything worth buying. Hell, I'm not even sure how much I would notice the higher frame rate (75 is what I use now). I don't think I have anywhere to properly demo and compare - especially in low-light situations.

To add to it, it seems every kind of panel has major flaws, that seem to appear across all price ranges, and I don't have actual experience with any of them:
- TN have the ****tiest colors
- IPS have very common backlight bleed/IPS glow issues, maybe some ghosting(?) and a bit worse response time
- VA have crapton of ghosting issues (at least the one I've seen reviews of)

It even seems like not all monitors at the price range have some kind of flicker-free technology, which apparently actually helps reduce the eyestrain.

Looks like LCD was a mistake, it's nothing but trash.

Never tried 144 hz monitors before so can't recommend anything there for you.

Have had good experience with LG's 25 inch ultrawide. Not the highest pixel density but very accurate colours for consumer use and good enough for gaming. Should fit into your budget unless availability is weird for where you live.

It has 2 HDMI ports only.

http://www.lg.com/ca_en/desktop-monitors/lg-25UM58-P

LG also has a similarly priced 24 inch IPS "gaming monitor" with a more common aspect ratio. It seems to be of the same quality as my 25 inch ultrawide from every point I read about it (haven't seen it in person to measure anything), except it has a slightly higher refresh rate (75 hz, though the 25 inch ultrawide also can reach 75 via "overclock." A while ago, that was the factory default. I guess they bumped it down to play it safe) and supports Freesync.

Aside from DisplayPort, this one also supports Freesync over HDMI! Was super excited about this when it was first announced and always wanted to see how it will be implemented over time.

http://www.lg.com/ca_en/desktop-monitors/lg-24MP59G-P

The panel for the 25 inch ultrawide doesn't have PWM. Can't measure the 24 inch gaming monitor as I don't own the thing, but LG claims it's flicker free. Some brands use hybrid solutions or try to use vague terms. LG seems fairly straightforward and consistent with their labels so far though.

There's using backlight strobing techniques to reduce motion blur. If you are sensitive to flicker like me, please turn that off. It's often on in included "gaming modes" and it may make your eyes and brain bleed if overaggressive. :/

-----------------------------------------

Near impossible to get the Logitech M590 here in Canada due to availability, so decided to get the M720. Somehow my Amazon Prime trial allows me to get one day shipping for free so bundled a bunch of books and stuff with it to get a bigger box (I need a box to move my papers and was too lazy to go find one. Might as well have one delivered to my doorsteps haha XD). Let's see how this goes.

Really wanted the silent clicks. Hate clickyness on mice and keyboards, plus the new place I'm moving to might not be able to keep my room-mate from hearing me work at night.

However, wanted Bluetooth and multi-device support more as I'm sick of dealing with dongles even more. Some other day I guess.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #175,842 of 177,744

I've basically used Dell's all my life and I've never been bothered by IPS glow. If you crank it all the way to max brightness and watch a lot of dark content, then sure, it could be an issue but in real world use it's basically undetectable. I run them at a calibrated 120cd and lower in a reasonably lit room so IPS glow is never really bothersome, but if you work in a pitch black room all the time then it will be a dealbreaker.

Look around for computer refurbishers and pick up an old Dell IPS panel for cheap. U2412M (preferred and 16:10) or U2312HM (smaller and 16:9, doesn't get all that dim and is a bit worse than the U2412M in contrast) are good picks and are reaching the age where businesses are letting go of them en masse.

I got a couple of the U2312HM for $110 dollarydoos, (~USD85), the U2412M were ~USD115 each but as I was just using them as secondary monitors I went for the cheaper pair instead. It's cheap enough that even if you can't stand the IPS glow, it'll do just fine as a secondary monitor, they work great in portrait mode too so it'll fit your desk setup somehow.

This sounds odd but looking for a local small/medium computer shop can be pretty rewarding especially because there's almost a 100% chance the owner is a computer nerd. I remember talking about old computers and just shooting crap at an infamous parts retailer in Australia. I'm sure you'll have no problem inspecting the panels before purchase, mine were flawless with zero dead pixels or backlight bleed. (these are loose panel designs where the panel is sort of just floating there, there's no pressure points from the bezel to pinch the panel, causing most of the blacklight bleed issues you see around)

Apr 8, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #175,843 of 177,744
So, form looking around I have at 60/75hz:
  • Acer RT240Y [IPS] - can I assume this and RT240HY are the same (for example different names between regions)? Also, it can do 75hz.
  • Dell Ultrasharp U2414H - the one you mentioned. Seems nice, although that limited RGB bug sounds annoying if I forget about it (luckily it's only done once unless I clean reinstall GPU drivers). Might be a bit too expensive in Poland. Only a bit cheaper than the 144hz ones.
Still, both are IPS (seems most today are?) and I'm kinda iffy about the potential IPS glow issues. I remember my friend replacing his monitor 2 times (IIRC), which kinda put me off.That was Asus - apparently they have worse QC than other manufacturers? He eventually returned it and bought something else, which he stuck with. Guess I gotta praise RNGesus. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As far as 144hz go:

• Acer ED273A [VA] - this was an interesting choice, but seen reviews and comments mentioning ghosting/blur (there's also the "1080p on 27'" thing. Some people say it's not enough PPI, but others -including a friend of mine- say it's OK). NVM, not available in Poland - only the 60hz version is (ED273 without the "A"). Yay distinctive naming!
  • BenQ/Zowie XL2411 [TN] - seems to be kind of a good all-rounder among the 144hz 24-inchers?

http://www.lg.com/ca_en/desktop-monitors/lg-24MP59G-P

The panel for the 25 inch ultrawide doesn't have PWM. Can't measure the 24 inch gaming monitor as I don't own the thing, but LG claims it's flicker free. Some brands use hybrid solutions or try to use vague terms. LG seems fairly straightforward and consistent with their labels so far though.

Googled it. Multiple people on Reddit claim it has problems with pixelation issues on blues and oranges (especially the former). It's the first one with this issue mentioned, so I think I can safely discard it. :-/

I got a couple of the U2312HM for $110 dollarydoos, (~USD85), the U2412M were ~USD115 each but as I was just using them as secondary monitors I went for the cheaper pair instead.

There is one company selling post-leasing gear around here (is this what you meant? Not sure about any other company selling not-brand-new computer stuff) and while there is U2412M, its ~USD200. So, yeah... about that...

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #175,844 of 177,744
There is one company selling post-leasing gear around here (is this what you meant? Not sure about any other company selling not-brand-new computer stuff) and while there is U2412M, its ~USD200. So, yeah... about that...

RIP in peace.

Yep that's what I mean, I guess it's pretty bad in Poland eh? (always worth a look at places without a nice website, or a website at all, it means things will be cheaper =P)
Maybe you can try follow the trail of the Dell Optiplex, if you can find a seller that has a boat load of them, there's a good chance they'll have Dell monitors too.

IPS glow is just an inherent design issue with the technology, it's because our eyes view the center dead-on, but there's an angle when looking at the corners of the screen.

Only really expensive monitors have a special polarising filter to help cut down on it, but instead of a white glow they shift to a colour like greenish or magenta.

edit:

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 1:32 AM Post #175,845 of 177,744
I've got a 14H and a 17H, very similar and on the cheap side of things. I wouldn't suggest those to a true gamer leaving years of CRT usage. 60hz peasantry is really hard on the eyes in a FPS. but for a rather cheap approach to pretty good colors for picture post processing, aside from small bleeding (TBH it was worst on my old CRTs), I've been happy enough. and they come with really ok calibration, unlike some models that would definitely require even a cheap Spyder thingy to come closer to usable colors. so in that sense it's an economical option if you don't already own that kind of calibration device. they're not full gamut nobility, but IMO enjoyable anyway and actually crispier than most non pro CRTs of the old days for picture and video editing. flat screen isn't all on the bad side. I cried a lot when I had to give up on CRTs, but it's not all bad.

I still have one old smaller 120hz with a viewing angle of about 8° before it turns to crap. it's like an orthopedic screen, if I don't keep a straight posture, the screen starts to look as if someone changed the gamma ^_^. basically it's plain bad at everything except refresh rate. but I still prefer to play on that one. 60hz isn't enough for me(well unless I'm stuck at 40fps ingame :'( ), 80hz was when I would stop noticing obvious issues, and on fast FPS or when using rather high sensi, more is always better IMO. I hate the more is better attitude in audio, but for FPS and refresh rate, so long as it can be noticed, it's wrong! ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back