「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Jan 22, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #171,946 of 177,745
Also, will you be overclocking? It really doesn't do much and is more of a gimmick for enthusiasts to waste time on (no offence to overclocking enthusiasts. Just in real world applications, unless it's something like the 5820k which is clicked net low too begin with, overclocking with consumer grade unlocked chips usually doesn't do much). That way, you can save money on the mobo as well, as higher end mobos mainly offer overclocking stability and aesthetics anyways.

Keep in mind a black PC case reveals dust easily. If you have OCD like me, it might be better to just get a closed panel case. You will forget about the case's looks after some time anyways...Unless you have an windowed panel and your OCD will drive you mad with tweaking every single cable that is slightly off, cleaning all the dust and thus bumping the perfect cables, as well as craving for better aesthetics which will get you to buy hundred dollar custom cables with sexy sleeves...etc.

:wink:

Or you will just be a normal person and forget about it.

Ultrawide monitors are beautiful and cheap though... :0

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/6m8H99/lg-monitor-29um67p

Yeah that exact ultra-wide monitor is what I was recommended too. I guess I'm so used to high PPI screens that I kind of wanted a 1440p monitor. My previous computing experience has also been with more boxy screens, so an ultrawide didn't even cross my mind when thinking of a monitor to look into.

No overclocking for me, although Ryzen does support it out of the box.

I was thinking of white cases to get since it would match my keyboard. I got a white keyboard exactly because I didn't want to see all of the dirt and grime on it. XD
The Corsair Carbide 400C White and NZXT H440 were the two I've been considering.

Whoa, just on looks alone that thing is amazing! 

Are the notifications that much thicker than before? You know you can now swipe down with two fingers on a notification to go extra stuff, like delete emails individually and whatnot right?

That seems like a tradeoff for actually viewing what was going on in a previous app versus just seeing the name of the app. Also the LINE app is at the bottom because in theory you wouldn't hit the multitasking button just to go right back to the app you were just using. Also hitting that button again will bring you to your second-to-last used app which personally I find pretty useful. 

I usually use the multi-task feature to see how much stuff I have open/running the background, and tap the X button to close it. With this new update, I have to 1) scroll more to see how many apps are open and 2) swipe on the screen instead of tap a button to close apps; which means I can't one-hand the device as much. :/

Yeah you can do more if you swipe down with 2 fingers, but that's more work. I'm pretty sure you could do the same in OnePlus's last Marshmallow too though, and the notifications were thinner in height and took up less screen space.

And yeah, the glass pen does look really nice! I saw an ASMR video on YouTube with it and that piqued my interest. It's a bit scratchy when writing with it, but I wasn't expecting pointy glass on paper to be super smooth anyway. You can actually get a sentence or two completed without having to dip the tip again, which I was also presently surprised with since the tip doesn't look like it hold a whooole lot of ink. AND it's super easy to clean!

My Mi5 now also has Android 7 and I don't get any of the stuff Mice is complaining about.
My notifications look the same and I can't even find this dual screen app thing (not that i'm really looking for it because I don't see myself using that).

D:
Perhaps I'll switch back to Marshmallow to double-check my sanity.

Jan 22, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #171,948 of 177,745
Yeah that exact ultra-wide monitor is what I was recommended too. I guess I'm so used to high PPI screens that I kind of wanted a 1440p monitor. My previous computing experience has also been with more boxy screens, so an ultrawide didn't even cross my mind when thinking of a monitor to look into.

No overclocking for me, although Ryzen does support it out of the box.

I was thinking of white cases to get since it would match my keyboard. I got a white keyboard exactly because I didn't want to see all of the dirt and grime on it. XD
The Corsair Carbide 400C White and NZXT H440 were the two I've been considering.
I usually use the multi-task feature to see how much stuff I have open/running the background, and tap the X button to close it. With this new update, I have to 1) scroll more to see how many apps are open and 2) swipe on the screen instead of tap a button to close apps; which means I can't one-hand the device as much. :/

Yeah you can do more if you swipe down with 2 fingers, but that's more work. I'm pretty sure you could do the same in OnePlus's last Marshmallow too though, and the notifications were thinner in height and took up less screen space.

And yeah, the glass pen does look really nice! I saw an ASMR video on YouTube with it and that piqued my interest. It's a bit scratchy when writing with it, but I wasn't expecting pointy glass on paper to be super smooth anyway. You can actually get a sentence or two completed without having to dip the tip again, which I was also presently surprised with since the tip doesn't look like it hold a whooole lot of ink. AND it's super easy to clean!
D:
Perhaps I'll switch back to Marshmallow to double-check my sanity.

That pen looks so cool!!!

*Must add to pen collection now... ;-;

About the monitor, it's not as sharp, indeed. I use the 25 inch model and I also complain a bit about the sharpness. The 29 inch must be worse. There main benefit is sat awesome feeling when something fills your peripheral view. It just feels amazing scrolling down a web page who's background or title image takes advantage of it (aka not Head-Fi). :p

Oh, for production, this is so awesome. So much screen space, it's like dual monitors, but one monitor to rule them all! :0

However... Again, sharpness. :/

----------

Does anyone have a recommended software that I can use to measure colour gamut and colour accuracy?

I have a Spyder3 Express, and the bundled software only lets me calibrate the monitor. It shows no feedback or gives me any controls for customisation. Newer Express models do have that included. :frowning2:

Jan 22, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #171,950 of 177,745
Is there really really really a need for all those fans?

Also, will you be overclocking? It really doesn't do much and is more of a gimmick for enthusiasts to waste time on (no offence to overclocking enthusiasts. Just in real world applications, unless it's something like the 5820k which is clicked net low too begin with, overclocking with consumer grade unlocked chips usually doesn't do much). That way, you can save money on the mobo as well, as higher end mobos mainly offer overclocking stability and aesthetics anyways.

Keep in mind a black PC case reveals dust easily. If you have OCD like me, it might be better to just get a closed panel case. You will forget about the case's looks after some time anyways...Unless you have an windowed panel and your OCD will drive you mad with tweaking every single cable that is slightly off, cleaning all the dust and thus bumping the perfect cables, as well as craving for better aesthetics which will get you to buy hundred dollar custom cables with sexy sleeves...etc.

:wink:

Or you will just be a normal person and forget about it.

Ultrawide monitors are beautiful and cheap though... :0

Slipstreams are pretty godly fans and the stock case fans are usually trash. Mice wanted a relatively quiet rig so we're taking those and undervolting them to run at 1200-1300 rpm. Vortez has the numbers. The dBa to CFM both free air and restricted on these fans are quite amazing. Also the 1900 rpm ones cost less than the lower speed ones for some reason. It's going to be run as 2 front intake, 1 top intake in front of the CPU cooler and 1 push fan for CPU cooler. Push pull isn't really worthwhile unless you're overclocking and trying to squeeze out everything you can from your heatsink. You don't need exhaust fans since the positive pressure will push it out the back anyways (ideally you remove all the expansion card covers and cut the grill out from the rear exhaust fan Mount). You want to make a wind tunnel with your CPU cooler.

OC mostly a waste of time. You don't get enough appreciable real world performance gains. Ryzen apparently also has auto OC/CPU boost (think GPU boost) and even some lower tier boards come with auto OC I think. Otherwise not worthwhile. There's a reason why in the list I posted I said $150 for mobo since that's what most cost (the decent ones at least). Usually slightly less.

It's not a big difference: the black gets ashy and white turns slightly grey or slightly beige depending on the house. The big issue is the window. Although if you aren't cleaning a computer you dropped 1k on you probably shouldn't be owning it then.

Cable sleeving is meh. I used to like it but it's just distracting. Dark grey/black basic plastic insulated cables are better. Also MDPC-X is really expensive. FTW PC's paracord or whatever was a good option, same with their plastic sleeve. I think it's under Lutr0 Customs now (just a rename).

Ultrawide feels so awkward and it always feels like piss poor value. The 2560x1080 ones cost the same as a 1440p 16:9 monitor and the 1440p high 21:9 costs the same as a 4K 16:9. The only time you get more pixels is the 2160p high ones since we don't have 8k monitors yet.

Jan 22, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #171,951 of 177,745
Slipstreams are pretty godly fans and the stock case fans are usually trash. Mice wanted a relatively quiet rig so we're taking those and undervolting them to run at 1200-1300 rpm. Vortez has the numbers. The dBa to CFM both free air and restricted on these fans are quite amazing. It's going to be run as 2 front intake, 1 top intake in front of the CPU cooler and 1 push fan for CPU cooler. Push pull isn't really worthwhile unless you're overclocking and trying to squeeze out everything you can from your heatsink. You don't need exhaust fans since the positive pressure will push it out the back anyways (ideally you remove all the expansion card covers and cut the grill out from the rear exhaust fan Mount). You want to make a wind tunnel with your CPU cooler.

OC mostly a waste of time. You don't get enough appreciable real world performance gains. Ryzen apparently also has auto OC/CPU boost (think GPU boost) and even some lower tier boards come with auto OC I think. Otherwise not worthwhile. There's a reason why in the list I posted I said $150 for mobo since that's what most cost (the decent ones at least). Usually slightly less.

It's not a big difference: the black gets ashy and white turns slightly grey or slightly beige depending on the house. The big issue is the window. Although if you aren't cleaning a computer you dropped 1k on you probably shouldn't be owning it then.

Cable sleeving is meh. I used to like it but it's just distracting. Dark grey/black basic plastic insulated cables are better. Also MDPC-X is really expensive. FTW PC's paracord or whatever was a good option, same with their plastic sleeve. I think it's under Lutr0 Customs now (just a rename).

Ultrawide feels so awkward and it always feels like piss poor value. The 2560x1080 ones cost the same as a 1440p 16:9 monitor and the 1440p high 21:9 costs the same as a 4K 16:9. The only time you get more pixels is the 2160p high ones since we don't have 8k monitors yet.

Really? :frowning2:

I got my ultrawide dirt cheap and it's pretty nice. No pwm and covers 99% sRGB. Just not as sharp.

PC case without any windows are the way to go~ Build and forget. Save some money to buy food in Chinatown. \(^o^)/

Jan 22, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #171,952 of 177,745
Really?
frown.gif

I got my ultrawide dirt cheap and it's pretty nice. No pwm and covers 99% sRGB. Just not as sharp.

PC case without any windows are the way to go~ Build and forget. Save some money to buy food in Chinatown. \(^o^)/

Last time I checked pricing worked out that way w/in the same panel technologies.

I wouldn't be surprised if one was like $20-$40 more expensive than the other though; if the ultrawide is more expensive that's even worse value; if the 16:9 is more expensive that's accurate value since you're paying for more pixels.

Jan 22, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #171,953 of 177,745
I love how this behemoth of a machine is marketed as "Thin and Light."

Haha.

...okay I actually don't. :p

To press or not to press...

That is the question.

Jan 22, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #171,954 of 177,745
I don't see why it's worth considering 960M laptops when the 1050 Ti crushes it. Pretty sure the new Inspiron 7000 is already up for order.

And at $1400 may as well get the new XPS 15 w/ the 1050.

For reference the 1050 is about a 965M and the 1050 Ti is about a 970M.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/inspiron-15-7567-laptop

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/xps-15-9560-laptop

IMO the inspiron 15 7000 looks better than most (I still think these gamer laptops are disgusting looking but this is somehow one of the better ones). It's also cheaper for better GPU performance and CPU efficiency. Even the maxed out one for $1100 has a 512GB PCIe SSD which I think is better than the 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD. Unless the device is your main machine (no desktop, etc.) or you have to use this as your work machine (if the company doesn't provide desktops and servers for stuff like rendering and other heavy lifting) then it's not worth investing in more than 256GB-512GB of storage.

$1400 XPS 15 (MSRP; high chance you'll find it for lower) gets a 1050, 256GB PCIe SSD (SM951 still I think? I haven't seen many SM961's in the wild yet), 1080p IPS panel and very nice build. I personally would opt to get one of the 97WHr models unless they sell the batteries separately (I don't think they do). Going w/ that removes the 2.5" HDD slot but 256GB SSD is plenty for a laptop.

It's also more compact being 15" instead of 17". 17" laptops at that point aren't even laptops anymore; they're just mobile workstations. I don't know how anybody deals with laptops of that size since it's like hauling around a cinder block.

Jan 22, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #171,955 of 177,745
Mmk here we go. Last version of Oxygen OS with Marshmallow vs newest one with Nougat.
Beautiful

Meh

Simple; straight to the point

Clustered; a lot of useless white space; everything is expanded when I don't need it

Simple; straight to the point

Again, everything is expanded when I don't need it; and lots of empty white space

I guess installing Marshmallow from Nougat wiped everything on my phone....meh.

Jan 22, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #171,956 of 177,745
I don't see why it's worth considering 960M laptops when the 1050 Ti crushes it. Pretty sure the new Inspiron 7000 is already up for order.

And at $1400 may as well get the new XPS 15 w/ the 1050.

For reference the 1050 is about a 965M and the 1050 Ti is about a 970M.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/inspiron-15-7567-laptop

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/xps-15-9560-laptop

IMO the inspiron 15 7000 looks better than most (I still think these gamer laptops are disgusting looking but this is somehow one of the better ones). It's also cheaper for better GPU performance and CPU efficiency. Even the maxed out one for $1100 has a 512GB PCIe SSD which I think is better than the 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD. Unless the device is your main machine (no desktop, etc.) or you have to use this as your work machine (if the company doesn't provide desktops and servers for stuff like rendering and other heavy lifting) then it's not worth investing in more than 256GB-512GB of storage.

$1400 XPS 15 (MSRP; high chance you'll find it for lower) gets a 1050, 256GB PCIe SSD (SM951 still I think? I haven't seen many SM961's in the wild yet), 1080p IPS panel and very nice build. I personally would opt to get one of the 97WHr models unless they sell the batteries separately (I don't think they do). Going w/ that removes the 2.5" HDD slot but 256GB SSD is plenty for a laptop.

It's also more compact being 15" instead of 17". 17" laptops at that point aren't even laptops anymore; they're just mobile workstations. I don't know how anybody deals with laptops of that size since it's like hauling around a cinder block.

All the XPS laptops, even the i3 one with onboard graphics cost more than that laptop in my country.

By the way, the price in the picture is not USD, it's CAD. Converted over, the price of that laptop is just over 1000 USD. Another thing is that if I buy dell, I'll have to pay 10% more in provincial taxes as they ship from the province I live in so the provincial tax must apply. :frowning2: Newegg ships from another province so I don't need to deal with that.

As for the Inspiron laptops, aside from the UHD model, all of them have terrible screens so I can't use them for work.

There isn't an option to get a lower end Inspiron with a UHD screen so that's why outside my budget.

The 15th inch version of the laptop I chose also has a poor screen and the brightness is controlled by PWM. The 17th inch model does not.

To get a 1050 equivalent, I'll need to pay at least 200 to 300 US dollars more (filtering out the ones known to have poor colour reproduction or aggressive PWM flickering). It's just not worth it.

Also considered the iPad Pro 12.9 inch model, just for the screen and the pencil (the screen is that important for me, sadly) but it still can't run any professional desktop applications like Photoshop, Maya, Z-Brush or Clip Studio Paint. The Surface Pro 4 is decent but I probably can't do too much intensive work on it unless I pay a lot.

:frowning2:

Don't quite feel like waiting for professional reviews on all the just released/not yet released laptops as I kinds want one now. I've been waiting for about 3 months just to get news on the refresh laptops to make a better decision. I decided that the price premium or the need for waiting another 3 to 6 to get deals isn't worth it.

The 960m should run Skyrim okay with some mods. My current Skyrim build is struggling on an ivy bridge igpu but still perfectly playable, so yeah.

-----------

Anyways, paid for the previous gen Lenovo Y700 17 inch version.

Big thanks to everyone who offered any advice, as well as those who may not have directly helped but still read my ignorant rants/looked into it on the side.

I really appreciate your time. Cheers!

o(^_ ^ ) O

Jan 22, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #171,959 of 177,745

Updated my previous reply.

According to early comparisons, the new FHD screen is worse than last year's (which had only 55% sRBG coverage), and the UHD screen is only available on the highest config.

Can't justify the poor screen or the 10% increase in price due to tax from buying a dell product, even if it has a 1070 as I can't benefit from the laptop. I'd rather just buy the iPad instead. GPU horsepower really doesn't have any priority on my list sadly. It's just if I'm paying 1k USD, I'd at least expect the laptop to not run on integrated graphics.

I'm happy that last month, I finally got some time to play Witcher 3 after buying it and leaving it untouched for over 12 months. That's enough high intensity gaming for me.

I live a sad life, I know. Still no time for anime. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back