「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Jan 22, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #171,961 of 177,742
Mmk here we go. Last version of Oxygen OS with Marshmallow vs newest one with Nougat.
Beautiful

Meh

Simple; straight to the point

Clustered; a lot of useless white space; everything is expanded when I don't need it

Simple; straight to the point

Again, everything is expanded when I don't need it; and lots of empty white space

I guess installing Marshmallow from Nougat wiped everything on my phone....meh.

Inb4, xposed and custom rom lol

Jan 22, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #171,962 of 177,742
Last years was 70% sRGB. Nobody has the new model 1080p panel for review yet.

Interesting. Just quickly went through reviews again. 2 says 55%, one says 68% and one says 70%. I really trust one site that claims sRGB as they are very transparent with everything and have very respectable great and knowledge.

Still, those are all significantly worse than I wanted. I was assuming for at least 95% coverage, but eventually decided to drop it down to 90%.

Early feedback comparisons from customers mention that the antiglare FHD panel is a TN panel that is worse than last year's IPS model. No measurements yet, but if it's 90%+ sRGB vs 55-70% sRGB, it shouldn't be too hard for the average person to tell by eye.

Jan 22, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #171,963 of 177,742
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-Ideapad-Y700-17ISK-80Q0-Notebook-Review.156808.0.html

You also realize that the model you chose isn't 99% sRGB either right? Also that backlight bleed so piss poor QC.

If you're really serious about going professional you probably would be spending $2000+ on a laptop for professional work as your main machine. Even at the current price bracket I'm not sure why you're trying to look for gaming laptops as an arts person. Apps like photoshop aren't even remotely heavy on GPU power; they're more CPU and RAM heavy. Even an Iris 550 computer can do perfectly fine. You're better off considering a subnotebook at this price bracket.

Jan 22, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #171,964 of 177,742
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-Ideapad-Y700-17ISK-80Q0-Notebook-Review.156808.0.html

You also realize that the model you chose isn't 99% sRGB either right? Also that backlight bleed so piss poor QC.

If you're really serious about going professional you probably would be spending $2000+ on a laptop for professional work as your main machine. Even at the current price bracket I'm not sure why you're trying to look for gaming laptops as an arts person. Apps like photoshop aren't even remotely heavy on GPU power; they're more CPU and RAM heavy. Even an Iris 550 computer can do perfectly fine.

I know, which is why I mentioned yesterday how that review mentioned 85%, another reported 89%, and over final review mentioned "117%."Notebook Check and Laptop Media both are pretty reliable and transparent, but they often get different results on all the laptops I've compared between them, so I assume it's different SKUs.

I don't plan to spend that much money on a workstation laptop, as there are options that come very close to what I want at quite a bit lower price. Just weighing in the compromises I'm willing to take. ^_^

The GPU is there in case I ever want to play some games. It had nothing to do with work. Since I can get a discrete GPU for the money, might as well take it. :wink:

Just want a laptop that has a fairly accurate screen and one that doesn't cause fatigue to my very weak eyes (specifically my left eye. Maybe I should get an eye patch instead? :D ) that can also game lightly once in a while. Getting a 1050 introduces compromises that I'm not willing to make unfortunately, so I guess I'll stick with my current choice.

Thanks again for answering my questions and offering your advice though. They really helped. ^_^

------

With the Windows Hello issue on the XPS, some say both the XPS and the Inspiron will be getting new models next month, with the touch model for the Inspiron getting a better IPS display. To be honest, waiting for users to get their hands on them, and hoping for a notebook reviewer to get the exact one I want, and see them measure exactly what I care about within the next two months doesn't seem likely. It is interesting though, but not something I really care about.

Jan 22, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #171,965 of 177,742
I don't see how a 1050 is a compromise. It performs better than the 960M while using the same power draw.

And none of the budget options are remotely close to workstation laptops. They all offer worse build quality, worse panels, worse inputs.

Also I have 0 idea where your sources are but high chance is that if it isn't Notebookcheck it's pretty trash. I haven't seen other reviewers with such large coverage and such in depth reviews.

Jan 22, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #171,966 of 177,742
I don't see how a 1050 is a compromise. It performs better than the 960M while using the same power draw.

And none of the budget options are remotely close to workstation laptops. They all offer worse build quality, worse panels, worse inputs.

Also I have 0 idea where your sources are but high chance is that if it isn't Notebookcheck it's pretty trash. I haven't seen other reviewers with such large coverage and such in depth reviews.

The one mentioning 89% is laptop media. The two often have conflicting results regarding screens so I believe they get different SKUs. Not sure about laptop media but notebook check is based in Europe, so that may be a reason. I'm skeptical about one mentioning "117%" as well. :p

It's not a compromise of performance. If it is, I'd never consider an iPad or a surface pro. :D

The GPU performance is not a big deal for me, at all. But to get the 1050, the main laptops I've been looking at so far don't seem to be promising good screen options, or anything else. The only gain is performance, which, as you mentioned, does not benefit the program's I use. I may game once in a while, so I don't want my laptop to struggle. That's all. I don't feel like paying over my budget for gaming performance.

Think of the GPU as an accessory that is expected to come at this price. I'd love to have an XPS or a MacBook, but they are outside my budget and I'm willing to sacrifice build quality and io for the lower price of the laptop.

Of course, I was also considering an Acer laptop but my friend will kill me for choosing the brand as he has had consistent issues with their (lower end) products.

I'm an odd ball, I know. I'm not looking for a workstation, a gaming laptop or a business oriented Ultrabook. :p

I just draw and might remember to play games sometimes. ^_^

Jan 22, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #171,967 of 177,742
If GPU isn't a big priority and the screen is then you should be getting a 1080p 100%sRGB IPS laptop display with an Iris 550 or some stronger iGPU since gaming isn't a priority. You're trying to balance your career with your free time. As a student I don't know why you would be spending your time playing heavier, time consuming games versus something light like say Overwatch or League.

Jan 22, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #171,968 of 177,742
If GPU isn't a big priority and the screen is then you should be getting a 1080p 100%sRGB IPS laptop display with an Iris 550 or some stronger iGPU since gaming isn't a priority. You're trying to balance your career with your free time. As a student I don't know why you would be spending your time playing heavier, time consuming games versus something light like say Overwatch or League.

Alright then, thanks for suggesting that. I'll look into it more.

--------

On a side note, League and Overwatch seem to consume way more time as I fear I may get addicted (that was the case in the past with online games), so I always avoid them...like almost every other game out there. :frowning2:

Guess I feel like modding Skyrim once in a while and running around the world. Not quite happy with the one I'm running now as it's very slow without anything intense. Haven't really had much time for pc games in years so I guess that's just me. :p

------

I guess I have an idea of what I want in a PC, and there are a few that suits more or less my needs. The Y700 from last gen suits it the most, current gen, without many reviews and only a few user feedback, shows that the gains isn't worth it. Before I waited for Pascal but in the end, I don't need that much power in a mobile laptop so I might as well just avoid all potential problems and get one where I can read many long term feedbacks.

Jan 22, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #171,969 of 177,742
If you have no self control it doesn't make a difference if it's League/Overwatch or Skyrim or Dark Souls. Playing games with rather constant set game times is choosing between another game or not; League is a little better because average game time if you play on Summoner's Rift is 40-60 minutes. Overwatch matches are relatively short in comparison.

The issue with games without set times per session is that you always think "just a couple more minutes" where as for stuff like MOBAs it's "do I have time for another 1 hour game or no".

There's very little for potential problems if any at all. As soon as the good reviewers are out with their take that's basically enough to see if it's worth purchasing or not. Most complaints are submitted within the first month of release. The only big hiccups I remember from the past years was the XPS 13 first gen of infinity edge displays where auto brightness couldn't be disabled through BIOS and that was ironed out very quickly. Haven't seen any other issues.

New MBPs with the battery life inconsistencies is a hardware thing because Apple's terrace battery that was supposed to be used didn't pass some internal tests but that was covered in reviews on release. Bootcamp blowing out speakers also already addressed. The remaining bugs are due to Apple being ambitious with the Touch Bar which is pretty limited cases. Stuff like the Inspiron 7000 Gaming or other refreshes are very conservative; it's not a new laptop by any means.

Jan 22, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #171,970 of 177,742
If you have no self control it doesn't make a difference if it's League/Overwatch or Skyrim or Dark Souls. Playing games with rather constant set game times is choosing between another game or not; League is a little better because average game time if you play on Summoner's Rift is 40-60 minutes. Overwatch matches are relatively short in comparison.

The issue with games without set times per session is that you always think "just a couple more minutes" where as for stuff like MOBAs it's "do I have time for another 1 hour game or no".

There's very little for potential problems if any at all. As soon as the good reviewers are out with their take that's basically enough to see if it's worth purchasing or not. Most complaints are submitted within the first month of release.

I really don't play games a lot. 0.0

Many years ago when I was a kid, yes, but aside from occasional splurges once a month or so, I just funny play games at all. Not really a self control issue. Again, it's just me.

Here's how I play Skyrim: enter game, run around to shoot something. Game crashes. Back to work/studies.

:D

Since at this price point, there are many options that offer a fairy powerful GPU, I guess I'm just greedy and want one in the one I'm paying for, so the few times I can play games, the experience isn't bad.

40-60 min gaming sessions is quite long for me to be honest. Again, I'm an oddball. ^_^

Jan 22, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #171,971 of 177,742
https://www.amazon.com/Acer-VN7-592G-71ZL-15-6-inch-Notebook-Windows/dp/B015XBKY6U

It has that 100% SRGB based on notebookcheck that every recommends you (and what you need) and it has your underpowered 960m in it. And it looks sexy AF compared to that Y700 monster.So win-win situation. Now let's just keep the thread going. 

EDIT : OK, the review unit has a 4k screen, so i'm not really sure now, but whatever

Jan 22, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #171,972 of 177,742
https://www.amazon.com/Acer-VN7-592G-71ZL-15-6-inch-Notebook-Windows/dp/B015XBKY6U

It has that 100% SRGB based on notebookcheck that every recommends you (and what you need) and it has your underpowered 960m in it. And it looks sexy AF compared to that Y700 monster.So win-win situation. Now let's just keep the thread going. 

Okay!

(Though my friend will strangle me alive when like he almost did when I showed him that laptop two days ago).

HybridCore really looks down on me now doesn't he.

._.

-----------

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=41_mPEr985A[/video]

:3 <3

Really miss the old Facebook emoticons.

Jan 22, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #171,973 of 177,742
How to buy a laptop for art and design.

Do lots of research.

Save money.

More research.

More money.

Consider brand X.

Buy a Wacom Mobilestudio Pro 16 and hope your bank manager doesn't hate you.

Also, what's this 99% sRGB rubbish. Where's that extra 1%. Wouldn't use anything less than 100% sRGB and 96% Adobe RGB. Jeez, you plebs.

Jan 22, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #171,974 of 177,742
How to buy a laptop for art and design.

Do lots of research.

Save money.

More research.

More money.

Consider brand X.

Buy a Wacom Mobilestudio Pro 16 and hope your bank manager doesn't hate you.

Haha.

Even the best pros avoid that depending on their needs, due to the other offerings out there.

But really, let's move on.

I've looked at all the options, read the reviews mentioned here and made up my mind. I really feel like I'm dragging the thread and things won't go anywhere from here. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back