「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
May 16, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #113,253 of 177,744
I already own a 3DS XL but.....******* Kirby style!
http://www.destructoid.com/celebrate-kirby-triple-deluxe-s-european-release-with-pink-white-2ds-274978.phtml
I'm so hyped for this new game :3

That really is quiet mysterious :|
http://kotaku.com/nobody-knows-what-these-mysterious-youtube-videos-are-1577645061

May 16, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #113,254 of 177,744

Not just bacon, sugar-cured bacon to make it crispy and slightly sweet. : D

I have more pictures of snacks but then you guys would get more hungry. XD
You should come to the hall of potential energy (AKA MGH or Mary Gates Hall) at 14:00 to visit me and mah poster.

eek.gif

Wait, I thought you said 17:00, not 14:00???

May 16, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #113,255 of 177,744
  I didn't even know you were around back during that time. No offense and sorry :frowning2:

My very first post here was about how I wasn't going to read the last 6000-ish pages. It didn't leave much of an impression I don't think.

Learning from animations/tv shows help quite a lot 
biggrin.gif

I remember a lot of common words/phrases here and there like '我慢してくれる' (gaman****ekureru), '止まりなさい' (domarinasai), '気にしないで' (kinishinaide), '何でもない' (nandemonai), '別に'(?) (betsuni), 'めんどくさい' (mendokusai), '困ったもの' (komattamono), '奇跡' (kiseki), '現実' (genjitsu), '真実' (shinjitsu), '取りあえず' (toriaezu) and of course the obvious 'ばか!' (baka!), '変態' (hentai) and 'あほ' (aho)...these are currently the only ones I can think of off the top of my head. I can recognize a lot more than I can recall.

They sound familiar to me, but it takes me a while to remember the meaning and the Kanji is either pretty much Chinese or completely nonsensical.

May 16, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #113,256 of 177,744
  I know more than 1500 Kanji, but that doesn't mean I can read it in Japanese! I read Hiragana/Katakana the way they are meant to be read, and read the Kanji in Cantonese. Genius!

For some reason, I feel like Japanese will never establish itself as a language in my brain like English and Cantonese/Chinese has. I'll read/hear a Japanese word/phrase and desperately try to remember its English equivalent. All in all, it takes at least 5 seconds for me to understand it, or it rings a bell but I don't understand it and have to look it up in the dictionary.

Conversely, I can easily read English (a second language for me) in cases like these:

Curses!

I remember many trivial things like that, and remember very little from Uni lectures

I am like the opposite case of you. I always need an intermediate language for understanding English, despite of having learned and been using it since primary school years (English is a main language in the education system I went through). But for Japanese I can do almost natively, and I only got into anime after high school graduation. Personally I think having no need to learn a language in a systematic way helps a lot.

Regardless of what Hyouka might do to me, Chaika seems to do everything inherently right, but I just can't put a finger on why. Maybe it's the characters
(at first I'm a bit leery with Red Chaika, what with her being feisty and slightly a bit more sexier, but I kind of like her by ep. 6.)
, maybe it's the "what does a mercenary worth in a time of peace?" theme going on, or maybe just the ecchilessness of it all that's to be expected in most fantasy anime recently. And especially more when that fantasy setting has lolis in it. The fight scenes are also very well done: highly dynamic, and at times very hectic, but done so well that I had no trouble following it all.

It's a wholesome package that's seemingly complete with a nice balance of likable characters, not too complex plot, enjoyable fights, and real funny banter (not the sorry excuse of conversations in Brainhill in the derpness, according to screenshots of QUALITY dialogue).

Other than JoJo, Chaika is my most looked forward to anime, moreso than Sidonia at this point.

Orz
So far only thing I like about that Chaika show is the way she talk... but on the good side, I haven't find something especially bad in that show
Not to mention I couldn't stand JoJo for that character design...

May 16, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #113,257 of 177,744
  I am like the opposite case of you. I always need an intermediate language for understanding English, despite of having learned and been using it since primary school years (English is a main language in the education system I went through). But for Japanese I can do almost natively, and I only got into anime after high school graduation. Personally I think having no need to learn a language in a systematic way helps a lot.

妬ましい (netamashii)...is another word that I recognize when I hear it!

But in all seriousness, I envy those who still have the ability to learn with such efficiency. Sure, I can fluently speak Cantonese (possibly even better than some HK local youths who speak with what we call "懶音" (laan5 yum1 (I think)) (pronouncing 'ng' sounds as 'm', slurring the beginning/end sounds of a two character phrase)), but I can only read/write comprehensively at a Year 4-5 level, and know bits and pieces of high school level vocabulary.

Cantonese is just one of those languages that you can understand a word when it is spoken/heard, but not necessarily know the character(s) of. Especially given that Cantonese has a seemingly infinite amount of colloquial spoken particles! (HK'ers will know what I'm talking about)

May 16, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #113,258 of 177,744
  妬ましい (netamashii)...is another word that I recognize when I hear it!

But in all seriousness, I envy those who still have the ability to learn with such efficiency. Sure, I can fluently speak Cantonese (possibly even better than some HK local youths who speak with what we call "懶音" (laan5 yum1 (I think)) (pronouncing 'ng' sounds as 'm', slurring the beginning/end sounds of a two character phrase)), but I can only read/write comprehensively at a Year 4-5 level, and know bits and pieces of high school level vocabulary.

Cantonese is just one of those languages that you can understand a word when it is spoken/heard, but not necessarily know the character(s) of. Especially given that Cantonese has a seemingly infinite amount of colloquial spoken particles! (HK'ers will know what I'm talking about)

I can recognize netamashii too! :p

Yeah I get what you mentioned for Cantonese. I can speak/listen a little bit Cantonese, due to having watched some HK dramas long long ago. But I won't try to understand every single word/sentence when reading through online HKer forums, as I don't really recognize those characters..

May 16, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #113,259 of 177,744
  Spice and Wolf. Probably the anime series which I've most enjoyed watching so far. Currently has the most fleshed-out romance plot I've ever seen in an anime which makes it all the more enjoyable. 

Yeah, another one of our members - TYG I believe - watched it recently and also loved it. 

I loved that show as well. 

I personally would buy squid tech earphones.

SQUIIID...teeexh?

Just make one up or copy one from MAL.

I am an honorable otaku, I would never do something like that. Plus I like to write them when the show is fresh in my memory.

...you Germans, I swear.

@Bucket; Yes, it's quite rare to find a (real) anime fan that didn't like Spice and Wolf.

...golden chance to show off my correction genga of Holo :3

Where do you find this pre-production stuff?
Originally Posted by Elsie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm going to a LAN party tonight, should be pretty fun.

Remember, LAN parties aren't complete without that one guy playing a pron video in the middle of it and acting like everything was normal.

May 16, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #113,260 of 177,744
Ugh...how does one play a VN for fun? I tried playing Narcissu and I fell asleep. All you do is read text, push the enter key, and listen to the same looping music. Occasionally I have to press the up or down arrow key. If I wanted to do that, I'd just read a book while listening to some brown noise while tapping on a keyboard key. >.>

Also, don't watch JoJo episode 7 on the public bus. Just What.

May 16, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #113,261 of 177,744
Ugh...how does one play a VN for fun? I tried playing Narcissu and I fell asleep. All you do is read text an listen to the same looping music. If I wanted to do that, I'd just read a book while listening to some brown noise. >.>

Also, don't watch JoJo episode 7 on the public bus. Just What.

VN's are fun because I lack social interaction, harem VN's are also fun getting to 100% completion. For the most part, you ARE right. VN's are reading with pictures and voice acting.

SPEAKING OF BUS TRIPS. I remember coming home last year from the convention with a pick-up-group and then some. A few of them had body pillows in their arms. I didn't, but I absolutely loved having a hatsune miku plushie sit in my hoodie :D

Ahhh... the disgusted looks of normal people on the bus were quite satisfying.

May 17, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #113,263 of 177,744
Ugh...how does one play a VN for fun? I tried playing Narcissu and I fell asleep. All you do is read text, push the enter key, and listen to the same looping music. Occasionally I have to press the up or down arrow key. If I wanted to do that, I'd just read a book while listening to some brown noise while tapping on a keyboard key. >.>

Well VNs aren't for everyone... no worries if you can't enjoy VNs, find something else that you like more.
The beautiful artwork, voice and music means everything to me, I'd never read a book without those.

For me, Anime ≥ VN >> Manga >> any other forms of entertainment.

May 17, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #113,265 of 177,744
One can play any other single-player video game and get more out of that than playing a VN though...XD

Not for me.... the only other type of game I play are rhythm games because

FPS -> keeps dying in single-player, gets ****ed in multi-player
RPG -> never ending loop of running around, talking, killing monsters

Users who are viewing this thread

Back