「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Feb 16, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #105,243 of 177,744

for that much you could have gotten a CF card adapter and CF card.

What capacity CF card + adapter can I get for $86? If it's not one of those Super Mega Ultra Pro x999999 types, then I think it'd be 64 GB, which is the capacity of my MicroSD in my Note 2. It kinda defeats the purpose of having a Classic, y'know?

Hmm, I guess in that case it's probably worth the try to open it up and replace the part.

Is there a difference between the jack for the 5th gen iPod and the 6th gen? (I have a 6th gen 120GB version).

By the looks of it, the 5th gen flex looks the same as the 6th gen one, but it would be safer to get the 6th gen flex.

Am I really supposed to learn around 2000 Kanji + 50 Katakana and 50 Hiragana symbols to be ready to tackle the Japanese grammar?
How?

I think those 2000 are recommended by the Japanese government or something. You'll have to learn them sooner or later, because they're more common than you think.

Well how about this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/iPod-Classic-6th-120gb-Back-cover-headphone-jack-battery-assymbly-/300879966605?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item460dd7f18d

Even if I destroy the back cover, I can just install a new one. Plus there's a replacement battery that may always come in handy.

I do need the special opening tools right?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/iPhone-Full-Opening-screwdriver-Tools-Kit-Set-AW-for-Apple-4S-4-iPod-Touch-4G-/261175457585?pt=US_Cell_Phone_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item3ccf453731

Plastic pry tools don't stand a chance against the Classic's chrome back!

I used about 5 of these stainless steel spudgers:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-Apple-Pry-Bar-Tools-Spudger-iPod-iPhone-iPad-Touch-Repair-Scraper-Pick-/271255978687?pt=Other_Tablet_eReader_Accessories&hash=item3f281dc2bf

Katagana and Hiragana don't look thaaaaat hard. But all these kanji symbols? :/

Wow, really?
That makes me a bit more confident :D

Kanji actually makes it easier to read a sentence in Japanese. As opposed to reading individual hiragana and katakana characters and reading the whole sentence to get the context of things, one kanji character can make up multiple hiragana characters and you'll get the meaning of the sentence at a glance if you know the kanji well enough.

Lucky for me, I'm a Hong Konger, so I know a considerable amount of "kanji", which is essentially a combination of Traditional Chinese (defunct in the mainland since 1949) and a number of characters unique to Japanese, such as those for read, slow/late, metal/steel/iron etc. I can't think of many from the top of my head! 
confused_face_2.gif

Meaning: Japanese - Chinese Traditional equivalent

Read: 読む - 讀
Slow/late: 遅い - 遲
Metal/steel/iron: 鉄 - 鐵

Some terms are weird, like the -sama suffix () and kudasai (下さい), which actually means 'kind' or 'type' and 'down' respectively in Chinese.

I think you have to use a Windows emulator like bootcamp...
Even though I ordered mine from America, I'm pretty sure it was a cheap Chinese knockoff someone in America was selling.
tongue.gif

Wut? A knockoff Mac?

It's a virtual machine, you need to install windows on it. and yeah, you'll need to boot windows.

What's wrong with having to install windows?

Still need to watch 3.33 orz

I got downloaded it the moment it got released online, pretty much. But I still haven't watched it.

Oh that thing is cute :3

3.33 is...different.
Nothing beats End of Evangelion!

Yeah, 3.33 was a big surprise for me. 

End of Evangelion is pure win!

Feb 16, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #105,245 of 177,744
  Kanji actually makes it easier to read a sentence in Japanese. As opposed to reading individual hiragana and katakana characters and reading the whole sentence to get the context of things, one kanji character can make up multiple hiragana characters and you'll get the meaning of the sentence at a glance if you know the kanji well enough.
Lucky for me, I'm a Hong Konger, so I know a considerable amount of "kanji", which is essentially a combination of Traditional Chinese (defunct in the mainland since 1949) and a number of characters unique to Japanese, such as those for read, slow/late, metal/steel/iron etc. I can't think of many from the top of my head! 
confused_face_2.gif

Meaning: Japanese - Chinese Traditional equivalent
Read: 読む - 讀
Slow/late: 遅い - 遲
Metal/steel/iron: 鉄 - 鐵
Some terms are weird, like the -sama suffix () and kudasai (下さい), which actually means 'kind' or 'type' and 'down' respectively in Chinese.
  End of Evangelion is pure win!

It really looks like I have to learn a lot of them....but not now. Learning all the Hiragana and Katakana is a big enough task on its own :p

To be honest, I still have to think of a method to learn them efficiently :/

The purest of all the wins!

Did I already mention that the soundtrack in the latest Space Dandy episode was super awesome?
I'm so gonna buy the OST once it gets released!
Space Dandy really reminds me of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy ♥

Feb 16, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #105,247 of 177,744
Lol, so I just paralleled Win8.1, how do I install .exe files again with windows?

Feb 16, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #105,250 of 177,744
  And I keep crashing for some reason. When I try to navigate through the windows virtual folders, it always crashes.

You may not have set windows up correctly?

What version windows did you install with Parallels?

Example:
Windows 8.1 64 Bit Enterprise edition

What are your settings in parallels? Did you touch any? Set it to 'faster virtual machine' in the configuration.

Make sure no other Mac programs are running. If a program is running in your dock. Click on it and press 'Command + Q' to force quit it. (or right click and force quite) and then try Windows.

See if it is in full screen mode, it may be easier to use. 

Maybe run Mac's Activity Monitor in the background. Does the virtual machine CONSTANTLY, use 100% CPU?

Where did you install the virtual machine itself? Do NOT install it on removable media (Flash drive or ext HDD).

Feb 16, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #105,251 of 177,744
Oh Wizard Baristers.....
So so much wasted potential!
Makes me sad :frowning2:
They should make more coffee.

Feb 16, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #105,252 of 177,744
  You may not have set windows up correctly?

What version windows did you install with Parallels?

Example:
Windows 8.1 64 Bit Enterprise edition

What are your settings in parallels? Did you touch any? Set it to 'faster virtual machine' in the configuration.

Make sure no other Mac programs are running. If a program is running in your dock. Click on it and press 'Command + Q' to force quit it. (or right click and force quite) and then try Windows.

See if it is in full screen mode, it may be easier to use. 

Maybe run Mac's Activity Monitor in the background. Does the virtual machine CONSTANTLY, use 100% CPU?

Where did you install the virtual machine itself? Do NOT install it on removable media (Flash drive or ext HDD).

Using Win 8.1 Professional. I set it to faster virtual machine, and dabbled around with some ram/cpu settings (increasing them).

I'm using the Coherence mode.... not really sure which one is the best, all seem to work kinda clunky.

Feb 16, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #105,254 of 177,744
  I just don't like the plot/set of characters in general either 
redface.gif

I started watching game cut scene movies as a supplement 
tongue.gif

That'd BSoD picture...

The whole premise/scenario is super cool IMO.
I also really like the visuals and some of the characters are pretty interesting.
But instead of making it some kind of Mahou Law&Order they are are doing what they are doing right now :frowning2:

I'm playing the schiit out of Kingdoms of Amalur right now.
Amazing game! Too bad nobody bought it because it released shortly after Skyrim....
The OST is really really good.

Grant Kirkhope ♥

Feb 16, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #105,255 of 177,744
I still wish I knew a 'normal' programing language though.

Whenever I have to program anything I always use Mathematica, since it's the only thing I know. But there are many things it can't do -- like good file operations, building programs with a UI or do simple operations really quickly. Need to learn C++ sometime, maybe PHP too. :S

Honestly, a regular programming language is easier to learn than Mathematica.  That being said, for anything math related Mathematica blows C++ out of the water.  The exception to this is if you need high performance, a higher degree of control, or you are just a masochist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back