「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Jul 21, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #119,131 of 177,750
Can anyone here recommend a good "ultrabook"?

1. I'd like to keep it closer to 3lbs, the lower the better.
  2. at least 1080p
  3. closer to a 13-inch screen
  4. minimum 2 USB ports but 3 would be amazing
  5. i5 would be ideal, as i7 would likely get me into more than I'd like to pay territory
  6. a keyboard with firm bracing and no mushiness. This one is pretty high up on my list of needs for spending ultrabook money.

Any help would be appreciated.

We have several work laptops that are ThinkPad X1 Carbons, and they're rather nice.

Jul 21, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #119,132 of 177,750
  Comparing R-Type and Einhänder to Touhou games is a bit of a stretch IMO :D

just get em all and play, no hassle 
bigsmile_face.gif

r type is still one best part of my childhood memory

used to play this one
Mass Effect is a game, but a Hall effect sensor a sensor that detects changes in magnetic flux. XD

seems like they can sense how hard you hit the keys! and be used as launchers 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 21, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #119,133 of 177,750
The new generation is taking over! :D

The Alchemist grows a sword...

...so you like the black more than the platinum? MEH with MEHstard sauce.

I could show you things in Final Fantasy VII that you would never have imagined.

Glad to hear you plan on acquainting yourself with my harem.

Okay, yeah, the Platinum wins. This is my first sight of it.

What of FF:VII?

Jul 21, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #119,139 of 177,750
So... I just posted about an epic hour-long song I'm listening to.

Weow then, I'm done with about half of prisma illya's first episode. Damn, I gotta say it's so strange to see shirou, illya, sella and leysritt eating breakfast like that...

Is "weow" a variation of "meow" + "wow"?
bigsmile_face.gif

Sir, yes! Joking - I don't mind.

I work 7a-4p Eastern, in IT. I'm currently lower on the totem pole, but climbing as quickly as I can. My desire is to become a networking engineer. I earned my CCNA just under two months ago, and plan to have my CCNP Route/Switch by Spring of next year. That's an ambitious goal, obviously, so we'll see how much time I have to dedicate to it. I'll fill out the rest of my goodies on my profile as to not force feed my life unto anyone. For reference, if it matters, I'm 24.

Subtle jabs, back and forth. I enjoy it, no problem :wink:

I've worked on computers a lot, but try to avoid getting too technical.

...You shouldn't mention ambitious goals in a post with Tom and I together. He has a great sense of humor, but reacts with disbelief at things that *totally* happened!

It just keeps getting better. I already thought of you as a slightly younger brother, and what do you know...you're three years my junior.

Did you notice the "excess jabbing" remark I made a while ago? It was oozing with pun.

I love the speed of it. Always something to read to fill the void :)

In that case, here's a juicy lead for your stalker self.

Woah what the heck? Hall effect keyboards are such a thing? o.0
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_technology#Hall-effect_keyboard

Before I even clicked this, I reminisced about my first electronic keyboard - a tiny Casio that, among many other things, made laser noises. How ironic that laser keyboards are mentioned right under your section of the link.

Now i want to install some ps1 emulator LOL this looks fun...
as for r-type, if you haven't tried it before do try, the good part of the game is in front of the plane there is a ball which could eat up bullets and store it as power to release special skills,
very hard and very fun

It's rare and expensive now, so might as well.

The Einhänder Original Soundtrack is easily the best techno album I've heard.

My favorite track, "Shudder"

Comparing R-Type and Einhänder to Touhou games is a bit of a stretch IMO :D

Yeah, those bullet hell screenshots made me dizzy.

Okay, yeah, the Platinum wins. This is my first sight of it.

What of FF:VII?

No comment on my genius reference? I don't think too many people here would get it.

Surely you don't expect me to reveal the secrets of the best game ever on a forum.
rolleyes.gif

Did you read through my wish list thread yet? =D

That's a really lame photo of the black one. XD
Black looks more majestic to me.

I've seen all the photos. I think the black looks unbearably ugly...and this is coming from someone who doesn't mind the Abyss. To each his/her own. :/

silver looks so cool!!
tongue_smile.gif
 thought there is only black 

Shiny silver gives me a headache. Plus I don't like the grooved texture of the sides, which are much less evident and more discreet on the black one.

This is a classic game of cat vs mouse. We all know the cat wins.

UN-converting myself... Seeing two like-pictures definitely affirms my preference for the black. Oh, Alchemist, how I've been deceived!

My Spada, why hast thou forsaken me?

...Which brings me to my next contribution: the best track from the Black Butler soundtrack, "Si Deus Me Relinquit" ("If God Has Forsaken Me")

(What? You're scrolling past? Seriously, this is well worth your seven minutes.)

Arghhh rite when it is enlarged the black one looks better

No way! Bleck. (I usually do like stealth black color schemes, though.)

I'm wondering if everyone commenting on this amp realizes it costs $15,900, and another $1,200 for the best tube upgrade.

Jul 21, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #119,140 of 177,750
What a beautiful knife....but it's $400ish. orz

Did we have any knife nuts here?

I had a Spyderco Manix2 XL in CPMS90V, does that count? Sold it on eBay for $125 not too long ago. I'm thinking of also selling my Fenix light.

Yeah, I'm getting the Focal Spirit Professional along with it. But look at my crazy wish list! I'm no stranger to the allure of high-end audio gear.

Don't like the Focal Pro line much. Prefer B&O H6

Amazing build and looks aside:
It has a slightly more prominent bassline than the FSP, but boy does it do it well. It's slightly centric soundstage also makes it rather special, give it a intimate sound, along with a very detailed midrange it. Treble is no detail monster, which I can see being a deal-breaker for some.

So no bass line :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.
I tried the FSP and liked the comfy fit but them lows... they could use some help. If that's how my music is suppose to sound, I hear by relinquish my AudiophileMasterraceHat™. I rather listen to my GR07 BE.

Then again, I rather listen to my Vsonic's compared to most other gear I try...

I like :D

Jul 21, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #119,141 of 177,750
I tried the FSP and liked the comfy fit but them lows... they could use some help. If that's how my music is suppose to sound, I hear by relinquish my AudiophileMasterraceHat™. I rather listen to my GR07 BE.

That's strange, because in so many reviews for the FSP, I hear about how they have excellent, punchy, deep bass. Perhaps people are using different equipment with it. Is your player just the iPhone? Most serious reviewers use more serious sources.

The entire purpose of these headphones is to have a neutral and balanced sound. I don't want overemphasized bass that isn't in the recording.

Jul 21, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #119,142 of 177,750

Looks like a fuggin door stopper with two bulbs on top.
Also way too damn expensive. Diminishing returns100000

So... I just posted about an epic hour-long song I'm listening to.

Only 60 minutes?
Laaaaaaame.
rolleyes.gif

Or check out The Great Barrier Reefer and Hate Ashbury by Bongripper!
Everything by UFO Mammut.
etc etc

To be honest, I can't name a lot over 60+ minute songs.
I know tons and tons of ones that go on for over 30 minutes, but 60 is extreme.

Jul 21, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #119,143 of 177,750
  Looks like a fuggin door stopper with two bulbs on top.
Also way too damn expensive. Diminishing returns100000

Only 60 minutes?
Laaaaaaame.
rolleyes.gif

Or check out The Great Barrier Reefer and Hate Ashbury by Bongripper!
Everything by UFO Mammut.
etc etc

To be honest, I can't name a lot over 60+ minute songs.
I know tons and tons of ones that go on for over 30 minutes, but 60 is extreme.

I concur, at least as concerns the black finish; the platinum finish is the coolest-looking amp I've ever seen. And it's obviously a cost-no-object item. This may not matter to you, but Jack Wu himself told me "the 234 takes superiority in speed, dynamic control, transient response, sound stage width and depth."

In this post, I link to reviews for the 234/Abyss combo. It's really pushing the envelope, or so it seems...

Steve Roach (who practically invented ambient music) has quite a few songs over an hour long. Not too difficult to pull off with that genre.

Jul 21, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #119,144 of 177,750

That's strange, because in so many reviews for the FSP, I hear about how they have excellent, punchy, deep bass. Perhaps people are using different equipment with it. Is your player just the iPhone? Most serious reviewers use more serious sources.

The entire purpose of these headphones is to have a neutral and balanced sound. I don't want overemphasized bass that isn't in the recording.

The iPhone is actually surprisingly neutral.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-5/audio-quality.htm

A/B it with volume matching and you might be surprised. I certainly was.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/709479/multi-review-hifiman-hm901-fiio-x5-sony-zx1-hisound-studio-3rd-anv-iphone-4

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrG29RXxlfc[/video]

At 34 Ω with 0.04 mW required to reach 90 dB SPL, that's a pretty standard, not-hard-to-drive load for an iPhone, so that would be a fair test.

[rule]My brain is trapped in the fourth dimension.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMb00lz-IfE[/video]

Entropy of the universe is always increasing. Therefore, to be organised is to be going against the second law of thermodynamics. Such Chaos Theory (I still need to play that).

*plays thinking music*

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q_47b507vg[/video]

Jul 21, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #119,145 of 177,750
The iPhone is actually surprisingly neutral.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-5/audio-quality.htm

That's interesting; however, neutrality is but one aspect.

UnityIsPower said the bass wasn't satisfying. Given what I have heard about how satisfying the FSP's bass can be, I suspected something in the chain contributing to the lackluster experience.

I would imagine that a powerful desktop amp with equal neutrality to an iPhone would deliver a different presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back