「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Jul 18, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #118,426 of 177,750
  CEO of Crunchyroll is doing an AMA on Reddit right now

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2b26ou/im_kun_gao_the_cofounder_and_ceo_of_crunchyroll/

Not going well. 

Either he wants to look stupid. Or the guy seriously still doesn't know how to run a company. He mentions not knowing ANYTHING about lisencing, rights etc when he got started and only had drive. 

He avoids most real questions, doesn't offer reasoning for good rationale others point out, and....is frankly just saying nothing we didn't already know. 

Most of the real questions people are asking address real problems that is keeping me from subscribing to CR

I've had a paid account for a month. There are a lot of places the service could improve. The most annoying one for me is video stuttering and freezing during playback and when switching from one video to the next in a series it forces you out of full screen view. At least their selection is nice and simulcast shows are impressive.

Jul 18, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #118,427 of 177,750

It's also the one with the worst score on MAL.
Far far worse than the other sequels, prequels and spin-offs.

Hmm. It's abnormal for me not to look at that when researching the shows... That's quite surprising. I was considering getting Blood+ as well, I suppose I'll go for it.

Is there anything in particular that's just awful about Blood-C, or is that score just bias kicking in?

Jul 18, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #118,428 of 177,750
  Is there anything in particular that's just awful about Blood-C, or is that score just bias kicking in?

Well according to the reviews on MAL it does not have a real story (schoolgirl fighting monster....wow), the first few episodes look like ass, most characters are pretty flat and/or annoying, lots and lots of pointless scenes, way too much gore (yes, that's a thing), most people find the OST to be rather forgetable etc etc
There certainly is some bias involved. Lots of disappointed fans.

If you want to watch tons and tons of gore and a bit of moe, give this show a try.

Jul 18, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #118,429 of 177,750
  Oh my. Superlatives are dangerous man!

It's also the one with the worst score on MAL.
Far far worse than the other sequels, prequels and spin-offs.

I don't care, I love the soundtrack more than most of the ones out there. As for reviews and ratings, it's all a matter of opinion.

Hmm. It's abnormal for me not to look at that when researching the shows... That's quite surprising. I was considering getting Blood+ as well, I suppose I'll go for it.

Blood+ has 50 episodes - that's over four times as long.

There are many things that would cause a typical reviewer to criticize the series, such as it being mundane half the time (in contrast to the action horror), but I think it's a stroke of genius and that they are missing the point. The plot isn't really unraveled until episode 11, although there are hints interspersed throughout. I like Blood-C more than everything else in the Blood line put together. That's my stance. Make your own judgment only after seeing it.

Jul 18, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #118,430 of 177,750
  Well according to the reviews on MAL it does not have a real story (schoolgirl fighting monster....wow), the first few episodes look like ass, most characters are pretty flat and/or annoying, lots and lots of pointless scenes, way too much gore (yes, that's a thing), most people find the OST to be rather forgetable etc etc

If you want to watch tons and tons of gore and a bit of moe, give this show a try.

This is part of the genius of the show. They intentionally make things like this, lulling you into a false sense of security,  just to crush you once the real plot is revealed. It's not just sadistic gore-wise, but psychology-wise as well. I honestly don't care about anime reviews. I've enjoyed series with bad reviews and hated series with good reviews. All that matters is what you (as an individual) think, and that's true for you, not necessarily anyone else. Personally, I would prefer to avoid conjecture about something I haven't watched.

Jul 18, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #118,431 of 177,750

I have it available to me, and my interest was at least slightly piqued. It's a single cour show so I think I'll watch it myself and come back here with an opinion of my own, either way it goes... We'll see.

Blood+ has 50 episodes - that's over four times as long.

There are many things that would cause a typical reviewer to criticize the series, such as it being mundane half the time (in contrast to the action horror), but I think it's a stroke of genius and that they are missing the point. The plot isn't really unraveled until episode 11, although there are hints interspersed throughout. I like Blood-C more than everything else in the Blood line put together. That's my stance. Make your own judgment only after seeing it.

At least it has an end. 50 episodes is quite a lot, but I don't mind making that commitment. 

This is part of the genius of the show. They intentionally make things like this, giving you a false sense of security,  just to crush you once the real plot is revealed. It's not just sadistic gore-wise, but psychology-wise as well. I honestly don't care about anime reviews. I've enjoyed series with bad reviews and hated series with good reviews. All that matters is what you (as an individual) think, and that's true for you, not necessarily anyone else. Personally, I would prefer to avoid conjecture about something I haven't watched.

You definitely defend Blood-C with a lot of stances that I can see myself taking. I always enjoy psychological twists, and the gore doesn't really kill me. Were it live-action and "real people gore," I might have a harder time. I'm weird... I get a little squeamish around actual blood, but animation is whatever.

Jul 18, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #118,432 of 177,750

I have it available to me, and my interest was at least slightly piqued. It's a single cour show so I think I'll watch it myself and come back here with an opinion of my own, either way it goes... We'll see.

At least it has an end. 50 episodes is quite a lot, but I don't mind making that commitment. 

You definitely defend Blood-C with a lot of stances that I can see myself taking. I always enjoy psychological twists, and the gore doesn't really kill me. Were it live-action and "real people gore," I might have a harder time. I'm weird... I get a little squeamish around actual blood, but animation is whatever.

I'm the opposite. I laugh at horror movies because I think they're ridiculous and not scary at all. I think the best part about Blood-C is the emotional experience it gave me. I'm going to post a real review sometime for anyone who cares to be able to see my perspective...but if I explained all the reasons I like it now, especially concerning emotions, it would spoil too much for a few people.

Anyway... I think one of the most important things to do is not judge something for what it is not, but what it is. Take that to mean what you will.

Jul 18, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #118,433 of 177,750

I'm the opposite. I laugh at horror movies because I think they're ridiculous and not scary at all. I think the best part about Blood-C is the emotional experience it gave me. I'm going to post a real review sometime for anyone who cares to be able to see my perspective...but if I explained all the reasons I like it now, especially concerning emotions, it would spoil too much for a few people.

See now, I wouldn't call us opposites. I think horror movies are ludicrous. The only ones with any salt to their name are the ones that replaced gore with psychological pain. Making me think deeply into the plot for better or for worse, those are the ones I enjoy. The ones that supplant a story with a mountain of body parts and a fountain of blood can shove off. It physically pains me to watch them. 

I'm all about taking away a very strong feeling, whatever it may be, from watching a show. I'll watch your silly horror show and report back, don't you worry 
wink.gif

Jul 18, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #118,434 of 177,750

Yup, I did thanks to Deadly! It got here in like 2 days too since it's just on the other side of our state!

That happens a lot actually shortly after midnight when I get paid... :X

How much was shipping if you recall? I can't get an estimate on the site. 

It was something under $5 if I remember right... I remember paying about $22 all said and done.

How much would that cost though?

less than 300 dollars.......
Ohh and BTW AVG free, MSE or Bitdefender free? Which one is best? 

MSE.

Don't worry Bowei, when I first heard the Q701, I thought it was bass heavy as well. :p
That was before I figured out what bass was supposed to sound like though

If that's the case, I'll have to find out how to con more money out of the world to upgrade further. For now, I'm satisfied with the AKG's at home and Klipsh image s4's at work. I wish I could afford custom IEM's...

Don't get too far ahead of yourself, start with some better universal IEMs before moving onto customs. Try and get some dynamic drivers that deliver actual, audible levels of bass!

We're actually still pretty peaceful compared to all the fighting that has gone on in the 20th century.

US CEO does AMA when people are at work in the US. Good start. At least it's a Friday.

Not that there aren't redditors at this hour to make him wish he hadn't, but blah.

Well apparently at least one person (the top commenter) wasn't working and had the balls to ask all the right questions!

Jul 18, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #118,435 of 177,750

See now, I wouldn't call us opposites. I think horror movies are ludicrous. The only ones with any salt to their name are the ones that replaced gore with psychological pain. Making me think deeply into the plot for better or for worse, those are the ones I enjoy. The ones that supplant a story with a mountain of body parts and a fountain of blood can shove off. It physically pains me to watch them. 

I'm all about taking away a very strong feeling, whatever it may be, from watching a show. I'll watch your silly horror show and report back, don't you worry 
wink.gif

My high school chemistry teacher grew up with Linda Blair, who roled as Regan MacNeil in The Exorcist. If it was anything but a little girl getting possessed, that movie wouldn't have been half as compelling. (Believe it or not, my biology teacher's real name was Mr. Spawn.)

It's funny, you just joined this site but we immediately hit it off. We even have quirky things in common, like being guys with female anime avatars.
cool.gif

Jul 18, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #118,437 of 177,750
Don't get too far ahead of yourself, start with some better universal IEMs before moving onto customs. Try and get some dynamic drivers that deliver actual, audible levels of bass!

I'm quite the amateur. I have little enough knowledge of headphones, and less so of IEM's. Surely there's a good recommendations thread somewhere around. I'll have to look around. (Psst: shameless request! Feel free to recommend some budget options if it's not too much trouble.)

Jul 18, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #118,438 of 177,750

I'm quite the amateur. I have little enough knowledge of headphones, and less so of IEM's. Surely there's a good recommendations thread somewhere around. I'll have to look around. (Psst: shameless request! Feel free to recommend some budget options if it's not too much trouble.)

Your budget options depend on your budget. Be more specific as to what you are looking for.

The next portable setup I plan on getting is the Focal Spirit Professional and iBasso DX90 - but that's over $750.

Your next step is to add your gear to your profile/signature, so people can more easily help you out.

Jul 18, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #118,439 of 177,750

This is part of the genius of the show. They intentionally make things like this, lulling you into a false sense of security,  just to crush you once the real plot is revealed.

I honestly don't care about anime reviews. I've enjoyed series with bad reviews and hated series with good reviews. All that matters is what you (as an individual) think, and that's true for you, not necessarily anyone else.

Personally, I would prefer to avoid conjecture about something I haven't watched.

I guess that's one way to see it :|

I find reviews to be quiet helpful. I just don't have the time or patience to try all sorts of anime to see if they appeal to me. I also do believe in something like "objectively bad". If tons and tons of people say that e.g. an anime has super boring and generic characters, there most likely is a high chance that this is true. Simple math. And if I'm someone who cares a lot about interesting characters, why would I try a show where 90% of the reviews hint that I'm not gonna be happy with it? Not worth my time and the (very likely) disappointment.
So yes, I do value reviews quiet a bit.

Just summed up the reviews on MAL.

Jul 18, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #118,440 of 177,750
  I guess that's one way to see it :|

I find reviews to be quiet helpful. I just don't have the time or patience to try all sorts of anime to see if they appeal to me. I also do believe in something like "objectively bad". If tons and tons of people say that e.g. an anime has super boring and generic characters, there most likely is a high chance that this is true. Simple math. And if I'm someone who cares a lot about interesting characters, why would I try a show where 90% of the reviews hint that I'm not gonna be happy with it? Not worth my time and the (very likely) disappointment.
So yes, I do value reviews quiet a bit.

Just summed up the reviews on MAL.

The exception to this is if there is a reason for the characters to be boring. (I can't say more without spoiling anything.)

I skimmed the Blood-C reviews there. Some of the points are valid. I still think many people are missing the point, though.

When I get into a new anime, I look for information that enables me to efficiently determine if it's up my alley - press releases, trailers, screenshots. Since I have such diverse tastes, this isn't a difficult process. Reviews are simply too subjective to be reliable, even if they're helpful - same goes for headphone reviews, to an extent. Name your favorite (insert anything here) and there are bound to be plenty of people who think it's dirt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back