「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Feb 3, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #103,681 of 177,750
Yeah... agree with Panda there. Windows 8 start up is pretty awesome, and when you work with really old Dell workstations, saves some time. Though it does take away some nap time... they used to boot up that slow....

Feb 3, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #103,683 of 177,750
  Windows 8.1 > 7 > XP > 8

Windows 8.1 > 7 > XP > 8 > 98 > 95 > Vista

Windows 8.1 had a huge problem with drivers with my set of hardware. Even the 8.1 ready drivers the manu's had for my stuff kept giving me absolute BSOD's. 

While 8 does have many annoying issues for power users, most of it can be made 'optional' and never used. The improvements 8 and 8.1 have over 7 does make it the premier Windows set in my book.

I still prefer Windows 7 to both from my own usage and perspective though. I only prefer Windows 8.1 over 7 due to startup speed and optimization for BF4 which I don't play. Windows 8 is a just a big no for me, not a single bit of usability in that OS.

Yep, those nice optimization. 

I have no problems with 8. I've adapted. 

I don't leave my computer on 24/7 in the past... I do now. That means a decently fast startup time so I can get right to my anime is important to me. 

Hell, waiting for the first 5 seconds before the computer finishes POST and the UEFI splash screen shows and then finishes takes longer than it takes for Windows to load and bring me to the lock screen. 

After installing an SSD in my desktop Windows 7 machine, I always leave it in standby when I'm not using it. Only takes about 6 seconds for the HDDs to spin up and me entering my password. No need to reload the BIOS then all the Windows files, because all standby does is provide just enough power to the RAM to keep all the memory where it is.

It's even better than my Windows 8.1 machine, because it occasionally wakes itself up from standby when it's inside the laptop sleeve, gets really hot due to lack of airflow then drains all the battery.

Feb 3, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #103,684 of 177,750

Windows 8.1 > 7 > XP > 8

Windows 8.1 had a huge problem with drivers with my set of hardware. Even the 8.1 ready drivers the manu's had for my stuff kept giving me absolute BSOD's. 

You keep saying that. I still have yet to hear many people report any problems with 8.1. XD

Feb 3, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #103,688 of 177,750
You keep saying that. I still have yet to hear many people report any problems with 8.1. XD

Count me in as a person who wants to report problems with Windows 8.1.

Feb 3, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #103,689 of 177,750

Win 8.1 tablets are pretty nice if you wanna do stuff you can only do on Windows PCs like play VNs and whatnot, or you actually wanna get some work done.
The Dell Venue 8 Pro is pretty cheap (at least over here in the States, I can pick one up for you if it would be cheaper from the M$ store, hehe)
Also look at Lenovo's new 8" tablet too which has a 1200p screen IIRC. And don't forget to look at the ASUS Transformer Book T100 as well. :3

Windows 8 is weird. It's a terrible laptop operating system, and a terrible tablet operating system.

As I've mentioned before, I have a Sony Vaio Duo 11, which is a slider ultra-portable 11.6" Windows 8 machine. It's too heavy and operates too hot to be used as a proper tablet, and the screen and keyboard is too small to type comfortably. The battery life is average for PC standards (3 hours of use), but way behind that of Android tablets. I intended to get it as a substitute for my old 15.6" laptop and my Asus eee Pad Slider SL101 (which was a terrific tablet with a very nice keyboard for Android tablet standards), so I wouldn't have to carry two devices with me all the time. 

Big mistake.

Now I have something that's not quite a Windows laptop, but also not quite a tablet either, whilst wishing that I had spent that $2000 on a laptop and an Android tablet instead, possibly even with money to spare! 

Also, Windows 8/8.1 has terrible backwards compatibility with XP based VNs. I've practically stopped playing Clannad (and stopped reading manga online) because of it.

TL;DR: Don't get a hybrid Windows 8 machine unless you're fully satisfied with what you're dealing with. Most likely, getting a Windows laptop and an Android tablet as two separate devices will get the job done much quicker, better, and cheaper.

Really? I wouldn't call it terrible for a laptop or tablet. I'd call it good for a tablet and great for a laptop...
Sure is not as intuitive and schiit as Android or iOS, but they also have much less functionality when you look at all the stuff you can do on Windows that you can't do on others.

Sorry mate, I think that's just your fault for buying a crappy device. All the Sony hybrids I've tried at best buy and the Sony store are absolute schiit. Tiny trackpads and gimmicky transformations make them unusable.

Oh, and please do tell me where I could get a respectable laptop and Android tablet for the same price as my $300 transformer book.
Asus got the transformation mode thing right. Want a tablet? Push the button to remove the keyboard dock. No complicated levers and BS. Sure it has issues; it isn't very powerful because of the Atom processor, and 10" is a bit small for a laptop and almost too big for a tablet, it's a decent compromise IMO.

Wait really? Did you ever try running it in compatibility mode?
My friend chase has 200+ VNs uploaded to Nihonomaru and has received hardly any complaints about Win8 that weren't user errors. Furthermore, all the VNs I've tried (including little busters which uses the same engine as clannad) have worked fine.

What's more, Key's new Sigulus engine used in rewrite is almost completely touch optimized. Not that most VNs don't work, it's just that you have to double tap for a single click. Not with rewrite though!

Phew, that was quite a bit to type out on my phone! Time to get some sleep so I can catch the train tomorrow. Oyasumi!

Feb 3, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #103,690 of 177,750
I never really liked Sonic the Hedgehog games except for Sonic Adventure 2 Battle on the GameCube.
But anyway, this is a great album!
http://music.gamechops.com/album/club-needlemouse

This song reminds me of the main "home" theme in MegaMan Star Force. My gawd I love that game. I need to play that again.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0poy-oYy5lo[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0VhVw9a8P4[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-j1-uT_h3I[/video]

Feb 3, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #103,691 of 177,750
Oh snap!
Anakchan helped me finding out the name of the headphones from yesterday :)
And here they are!

The HAMT-1.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/700316/stymax-obravo-hamt-1-amt-hybrid

Superb Owl was pretty lame. I went to bed after the third down or whatever it is called.

Feb 3, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #103,692 of 177,750
My friends finally gone insane, first K1000, then R10 now the 009. Time to give him a visit and borrow some of them.

Feb 3, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #103,693 of 177,750
Really? I wouldn't call it terrible for a laptop or tablet. I'd call it good for a tablet and great for a laptop...
Sure is not as intuitive and schiit as Android or iOS, but they also have much less functionality when you look at all the stuff you can do on Windows that you can't do on others.

Sorry mate, I think that's just your fault for buying a crappy device. All the Sony hybrids I've tried at best buy and the Sony store are absolute schiit. Tiny trackpads and gimmicky transformations make them unusable.

Oh, and please do tell me where I could get a respectable laptop and Android tablet for the same price as my $300 transformer book.
Asus got the transformation mode thing right. Want a tablet? Push the button to remove the keyboard dock. No complicated levers and BS. Sure it has issues; it isn't very powerful because of the Atom processor, and 10" is a bit small for a laptop and almost too big for a tablet, it's a decent compromise IMO.

Wait really? Did you ever try running it in compatibility mode?
My friend chase has 200+ VNs uploaded to Nihonomaru and has received hardly any complaints about Win8 that weren't user errors. Furthermore, all the VNs I've tried (including little busters which uses the same engine as clannad) have worked fine.

What's more, Key's new Sigulus engine used in rewrite is almost completely touch optimized. Not that most VNs don't work, it's just that you have to double tap for a single click. Not with rewrite though!

Phew, that was quite a bit to type out on my phone! Time to get some sleep so I can catch the train tomorrow. Oyasumi!

Windows and Android both have their own pros and cons. For me, Windows is great for PC stuff like Android modding, image editing, word processing, moderate gaming (Wii lol) and file managing. Android is great for casual internet browsing, manga reading, managing lists, light touchscreen gaming (usually Cytus, Flow) and portable emulator gaming (Phoenix Wright, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Persona etc).

Me trying to get a device that can do both was a silly idea. It was my fault for buying a crappy device.

I don't know where you could get a decent laptop and an Android tablet for $300, so I really can't tell you. But it can easily be done with $2000! When I got my Asus eee Pad Slider (which again, was a mighty fine tablet until the LCD failed after 6 months and I got a full refund for it), it was only $399. In that case, $1600 is plenty for a decent laptop. At one point I really fancied the late 2011 MacBook Pro 15" (second hand). Such nice build and hardware! Of course, I wouldn't use Mac OS X; I'd be running Windows! But having OS X would be useful for Photobooth and BombSquad.

Dammit, Asus!

Yes, but the problem was most of the VNs I played were made only with XP in mind. Compatibility mode didn't help much. Buttons that had to be left-clicked required me to tap it twice using the touchscreen.

Edit: exactly!

Dammit, Windows 8.1!

My friends finally gone insane, first K1000, then R10 now the 009. Time to give him a visit and borrow some of them.

Dat biocellulose driver! Let us know if you notice any difference compared to conventional dynamic drivers!

Feb 3, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #103,694 of 177,750
Also, dat sneaky Japanese disinfectant and Beats Executive in this picture:

And dat sneaky Beats Studios in this picture:

Watch out, Head-Fi!

Feb 3, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #103,695 of 177,750
The new Space Dandy episode is really cool :)
And whoever came up with all these cool alien designs....big round of applause to you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back