「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Nov 4, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #94,201 of 177,750
How naive.

More data, more better.

I'd be interested to hear your value proposition specifically for the Last.FM stats. I am genuinely curious, I just don't see it for myself.

On an anime related note, I finished Kaiba a few days ago. If you are ok with the art style, it might be worth a look. Exploring the intrapersonal issues you would deal with in a universe where changing your body or memories would be as easy as if they were stored on a SD card. It wraps up fast at the end and leaves a lot of questions unanswered..... but I think the focus really was on the exploration of the world more than the characters within it.

Would you still know or connect with your soulmate if you were both in a different body and had your memories tampered with?

Nov 4, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #94,203 of 177,750
I could still use some pie/cake recipes here :'(

Oh sorry I was going to reply to you.

My favorite cake is German Chocolate Cake (you can let me know if it's really German....I find the name dubious)

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/german-chocolate-cake

Nov 4, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #94,204 of 177,750

I should really learn a more low level programming language like C++ some day, but for now I'll just have to do with the actually quite awesome Mathematica.

No C++ yet? Come on get with the program.

(Apologies for the pun)

Here.

BTW guys, if you're ever looking to try a fabulous cheesecake, I happen to have a coffee & Kahlua cheesecake recipe that has always been a big hit whenever I've made it.  Remind me to dig it out and post it if you guys ever want to try it out.

Would love one!  Did I mention I had started up baking this month?

Nope, you didn't!  
smile.gif
  How do you like it so far?  It's an exercise in patience and learning to deal with suspense isn't it?  It's not like cooking where real-time adjustments are possible.  Okay, here it is!  BTW, you're gonna need a 9" springform pan for this.  I wouldn't recommend using an 8" pan and the increased thickness will result in a uncooked center and a burnt top.

Warren's Kona Kope Wai Cheesecake

Ingredients:

Crust:
  1. ½ cup sweet cream butter
  2. 1¾ cups crushed vanilla wafers

Filling:
  1. 16 oz. Neufchâtel cheese (softened)
  2. 16 oz. cream cheese
  3. 1½ cups sour cream
  4. 1 cup brown sugar
  5. 3 eggs
  6. 1 cup chopped macadamia nuts
  7. 1 tbsp. instant coffee granules
  8. 2 tbsp. Kahlua™ branded liquer
  9. 1 tbsp. boiling water

Garnish (optional):
  1. 1 cup whipped cream
  2. 1 cup whole macadamia nuts
  3. 24 coffee beans

Preparation:

Crust:
  • Melt the butter slowly until it begins to flow.
  • Pour the melted butter into the crushed vanilla wafers.
  • Mix the butter/wafer solution thoroughly.
  • Grease a 9" springform pan with butter or margarine to prevent sticking.
  • Place the mixed butter/wafer solution in the springform pan.
  • Press the butter/wafer solution evenly along the bottom of the pan.

Filling:
  • Warm the Neufchâtel cheese and cream cheese to room temperature.
  • Cream the Neufchâtel cheese and cream cheese together.
  • Add the sour cream into the filling mixture.
  • Sprinkle the brown sugar lightly and evenly into the filling mixture.
  • Stir the eggs gently but thoroughly into the filling mixture
  • Add the macadamia nuts into the filling mixture.
  • Dissolve the coffee granules in the boiling water.
  • Pour the coffee concentrate into the filling mixture.
  • Swirl room-temperature Kahlua™ into the filling mixture
  • Mix the entire filling mixture thoroughly until it is smooth, creamy, and without lumps.
  • Spoon the filling mixture into the springform pan and level.

Baking:
  • Preheat oven to 375°F (175°C).
  • Place the 9" springform pan gently on the middle rack of the oven.
  • Set your oven/kitchen timer for 45-60 minutes.
  • Check on the cheesecake every 5 minutes during the last 15 minutes to prevent burning.

Chilling:
  • Turn off the oven but do not remove the cheesecake.
  • Open the oven door to allow all the heat to escape.
  • Pull the oven rack out halfway and let the cheesecake "breathe" for 5 minutes.
  • Remove the cheesecake from the oven rack and set on a cool (not cold) surface.
  • Cover the cheesecake with a "breatheable" material like cheesecloth.
  • Cool the cheesecake gradually until it is room temperature.
  • Further chill the cheesecake in a refrigerator for 2-4 hours.

Presentation (Suggestions):
  1. Sift fine, powdered coffee granules on top of the cheesecake.
  2. Arrange mint leaves & hibiscus petals on top of the cheesecake (outer ring near edge), evenly-spaced all-around.
  3. Place coffee beans & macadamia nuts on top of the cheesecake (inner ring just inside outer ring), evenly-spaced all-around.

Serving Suggestions:

1. Cut the cheesecake into 12 equal parts.
  2. Arrange slices on clean, large palm leaves.
  3. Sprinkle shredded coconut on the each slice.
  4. Serve with coconut milk in coconut shells.

Nov 4, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #94,205 of 177,750
I'd be interested to hear your value proposition specifically for the Last.FM stats. I am genuinely curious, I just don't see it for myself.

More data.

I really, really like data about real life things, and that includes in particular data about myself. I also did some data analysis of the posts in this thread, though lost the relevant files so I can't make new graphs of that anymore. (unless I grab all of the posts in this thread again, but it's a real PITA to process them).

Nov 4, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #94,206 of 177,750

My favorite cake is German Chocolate Cake (you can let me know if it's really German....I find the name dubious)

German chocolate.
I have heard of Austrian, Swiss, French, Dutch and Belgian chocolate -- maybe even Italian, but German?

Nov 4, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #94,207 of 177,750
Also, I found another way to get last.fm library exported.
Apparently there's a built-in function for it when you go to your settings in Last.fm. Only catch is that for some odd reason it takes up to 7 days for you to actually get a download link to your beloved data.

Ah well, I've got exams tomorrow through Thursday so I shouldn't have much free time to process the data anyway, so it's actually a good thing.

Nov 4, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #94,208 of 177,750
You know what.
When you're kinda bored, just ranting like this here on head-fi is incredibly soothing to the mind. I don't even care if anyone will ever read this crap, I just like to type. And sometimes that means getting a quadruple or higher multiplicity posting spree, but that's alright, since that's going to be the only way to get my post count up to 10k any time soon.
Plus, I'm too tired to coherently write down all that I want to say in one single post, so I just spread my rant over several posts.

Nov 4, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #94,209 of 177,750

Oho, a recipe by the mighty warren himself!
Too bad I already had a Oreo mudslide cheescake for my last birthday.
I want something different this time :)

German chocolate.
I have heard of Austrian, Swiss, French, Dutch and Belgian chocolate -- maybe even Italian, but German?

Germany might not be that famous for it's chocolate, but we sure have some mighty fine chocolate manufacturers here :D
Here in Lübeck we have a store that sells only the best chocolate from all over the world.
One bar of chocolate for $10? Sure thing!
Once I day I want to be buried inside this shop.

I don't really see what's so german about this cake, but this thing looks great!
Instant-diabetes :D

Nov 4, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #94,210 of 177,750
@ Fountain Pen people

Anyway. So I submerge my nub and full tip into the ink to draw up ink into my converter. There is still some space left between the top of the 'plugner' and the ink level. Is this normal?

Next, I need to angle my nub in a way sometimes to get the ink to flow. Is this normal?

Do I need to ever touch the plunger again once I've filled it? Say push it in a bit to push more ink through or never touch it until I need to refill again?

I find that I can't write 'upright' and need to angle my nub. Does this have any ramifications.

I find that it works well with script and other 'flowing' writting but is hard at math when you constantly pick the nub up from the paper to start somewhere else.

Any tips?

Nov 4, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #94,211 of 177,750
More data.

I really, really like data about real life things, and that includes in particular data about myself. I also did some data analysis of the posts in this thread, though lost the relevant files so I can't make new graphs of that anymore. (unless I grab all of the posts in this thread again, but it's a real PITA to process them).

Ok I got ya.

Nov 4, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #94,212 of 177,750
Neon Genesis Evangelion is great.
Goes without saying.
And I guess that is why there is still so much NGE merch/whatever coming out :)

I guess I would buy one if I had an iPhone :3
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10249099

What a strange combination. Would go there.
http://otakumode.com/news/5271f03dfc2712fa7100002d/Tokyo-Edition-of-Evangelion-and-Japanese-Swords-Exhibit-to-Be-Held-at-the-Mori-Art-Museum-in-Ueno-Starting-on-Nov-23

Nov 4, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #94,213 of 177,750

Did you try skipping page 51 to see what it does on page 52?
We just learned how to do file and URL processing today in Java!
biggrin.gif

Yes. In fact my automated script returned an empty list for all pages 51 through 2209.
wink.gif

I should really learn a more low level programming language like C++ some day, but for now I'll just have to do with the actually quite awesome Mathematica.

Wow, that's lame.
You know what.
When you're kinda bored, just ranting like this here on head-fi is incredibly soothing to the mind. I don't even care if anyone will ever read this crap, I just like to type. And sometimes that means getting a quadruple or higher multiplicity posting spree, but that's alright, since that's going to be the only way to get my post count up to 10k any time soon.
Plus, I'm too tired to coherently write down all that I want to say in one single post, so I just spread my rant over several posts.

Okay cool, glad you got it working after all!
I do indeed agree with you. Just ranting every once a while is good for the soul! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 4, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #94,214 of 177,750
Jup, found my birthday cake.

http://dessertfirstgirl.com/2009/08/green-tea-cheesecake.html

Good thing I still have some Matcha left.
Otherwise this cake would end up being way too expensive :D

Also: New Non Non Biyouri ♥

Nov 4, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #94,215 of 177,750
I finally got Android 4.4 rolled out on my old Galaxy Nexus. Kitkat definitely feels different than the previous versions of Android. More iOS-ey in more than a few ways too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back