「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Aug 1, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #84,648 of 177,750
Quote:
It's for naughty boys who play at school/work.
wink.gif

DAMN! THIS IS FCKIN INGENIOUS!!!
eek.gif

The game developers thought WAYYY ahead of me!!!!

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #84,649 of 177,750

Came back from watching Kaze Tachinu.
All in all... it didn't strike me as impressive per say. The main reason being... well, the pacing of the story, and the scenes they decided to show/omit.

So the story is about Horikoshi Jirou, who later on went and designed one of the peaks in aviation engineering at the time: the Zero. I'll try to avoid spoiling the meat of the story/development.

The movie starts off with Jirou as a child, how he dreamt of being a airplane designer.
Then it jumps to him as a teenager. Meet's Satomi Naoko for the first time, helps her family relative/servant? and leaves after without leaving his name.
Then it skips to two years later when he was finishing highschool.
Then he was starting his job.
At one point suddenly he is taking a break, where he meets Satomi Naoko at a mountain resort.
Jirou asks Naoko's father for her hand in marriage.
Jirou is seen back at the factory and going about new innovations for aircrafts.
Jirou designs Japan's first full alloy airplane.
Jirou shows that the Zero's are of his design.

Now what is must confusing is not just the sudden jumps in time, but also the sudden jumps between the real world and Jirou's dream world, where he meets his hero, Caproni (aircraft designer) or sometimes without him. Sometimes the stitching between the dream and the real world are so smooth that you are left to question if this story was in fact realistic or fantastic... then poof, you get shown that it was a dream after all. In fact, the last scene where it is revealed that Jirou designed the Zero's was in his dream world too. It is also there that he (or we, at least) learn that Naoko passed away.

Speaking of abrupt time jumps, one most notable part of this is Jirou's little sister Kayo that appears in
1) when they were young (and she was tiny)
2) when he was finishing highschool
3) right after he marries Naoko (already a budding doctor)
4) near the end, where Jirou leaves to test his full metal alloy airplane.

Anyhow, the story had potential. It does feature Jirou sort of juggling between family (incl. spouse), his work and dreams, and duties for his country. The direction it took was a little confusing. The story WAS indeed a sad one, but due to the odd pacing and everything, the audience is not as able to fully impersonate or associate and share the same emotions as the main character. The ending is also rather abrupt... though the theme song is beautiful; the ending credits was done with a series of scene/background image cuts of various places Jirou visited in the past... the two together, plus the fact that you know Naoko has passed away, acts as a flashback and is probably the most emotional part... which is weird! It's the ending credits. Almost did get teary; Naoko is a fine woman and the loss is a shame.

As far as the voice acting goes, there's also a big jump. As some of you may know (from me or other sources), the voice actor for a few of the characters are not professional voice actors. Jirou in his childhood was done by a professional VA. When he got older, his role was given to Anno Hideaki, better known as the director of the latest Evangelion movies. His voice, while not terrible considering the personality of Jirou's character, still kind of keeps you disconnected from the world Miyazaki is creating.

In terms of animation... Ghibli has done it once again with a terribly well done set. Some places are awfully detailed, some places the sheer simplicity is perfect. The character drawings might have gotten a little simpler compared to past works however, and might sometimes feel like they don't fit in the right lighting to the rest of the background. Kayo also was a bit of an odd case IMO, since it feels like even when she grew up her face remained that of a child. In any case, I do have to say that in terms of "graphics" I have nothing against it. Oh, and the earthquake must be the most unnatural looking one (well, what better way to show an earthquake than making it look like fantasy?) but also the most scary one I've seen.

Now one last point I want to make regarding this movie is that for someone that isn't fully versed in Japanese, it's difficult without subtitles (which there was none). Why? There's a of material and mechanical terms. I guess most of that aren't too important to the understanding of the whole story though.

Still liked it, can't say I loved it though.

By the way, the theme song:

According to my cousin, this was written by the singer when she was still in middle school or something.
And shes also the same person that sung the theme song for Kiki's Delivery Service.
<3333

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #84,650 of 177,750
Quote:
Fuggin DHL, just deliver my CPU cooler already!
27°C outside and my current stupid stock-cooler sounds like an A380 taking off :'(

2 day free shipping here in the US 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Right, sorry forgot to translate this.
But there's a crap load of stuff in there so in a nutshell, do like most if not all transformers. A lot of it are common sense, or call for the definition of what a instruction/safety manual is so let's trim it down... Here's a few more important pointers (most of it being the second page):

1) This product is for 110V~130V inputs. Please only use this product in countries using these voltages.
2) Unplug product after use. (It could be the cause of accidents or fire)
3) Fully insert the plug when using it.
4) If there is dust on the transformer, wipe it. i.e. clean it occasionally so as to not accumulate dust. (Could cause overheating and hence fire)
5) Do not attempt to repair product yourself.
6) This product is rated for 35W; please check the power draw of the electronics you will plug to the transformer prior to use.
7) Light/lamps and motors have higher current draw than usual electronics so be careful with those. i.e. don't use it for lamps or motors unless you know it's safe.
8) If you are using it for over 30 minutes, ensure that the power drawn is under 80% of the power rating (35W).
9) If using it abroad, the plug may not fit all electrical sockets of each country. Please use an approriate adapter in such cases.
10) Any loss of data from the use of the product will not be covered by the company. Please take appropriate measures to save any important data. (i.e. if you're using it with the computer and this thing dies on you, they're clean from the case)
11) If the transformer emits smoke or weird noises, please shut it off and unplug it immediately. If you continue to use it, it can be the cause of fire.
12) Avoid use on power plugs in the powder/washroom because they may have different electric outputs.

Okay I'm done. That covers pretty much all you need to know... the rest, I leave it to your common sense... I don't think you need to be taught to not splash the thing with water haha, or not to pull the plug by the cord.

Sure!

Good job on translating it kalbee
Quote:

What? What the hell would I want to do that??

Umm..many reasons. Another game I once played, when you hit a certain keyboard key, will display pictures of scenic backgrounds and crap. Another game would display a dude with a horse head.

Quote:
DAMN! THIS IS FCKIN INGENIOUS!!!
eek.gif

The game developers thought WAYYY ahead of me!!!!

.............yeah. Would you rather have your parents catch you with your pants down looking at hentai HHH or scenic backgrounds?

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #84,652 of 177,750
Quote:
You pretty much still lost the moment they catch you with your pants down. 
size]

I KNOW! BUT!!! 
biggrin.gif

One is better.

Do you want your parents to KNOW what you have your pants down on. Or not know?

It would be better for the person and their parents that the screen isn't showing the 'scene'. 

So yeah, its obvious. But I would rather have scenic backgrounds with my pants down than them seeing some chick sprawled eagle legged all across my monitor. 
ph34r.gif

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #84,654 of 177,750
Quote:
LOL!!
It's 32˚C over here.... : (

Sigh~ so jelly..... one day... I'll be able to do this....

Just checked my weather app....can't wait for the 35°C tomorrow!

I'm jumping off the ASG-2 train. I'm super happy with my SM64 and I think it would be a better idea to update my source gear.
Soooo....iBasso DX50 or Fiio X3? :)

Quote:

What? What the hell would I want to do that??

That is actually pretty neat.

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #84,655 of 177,750
Quote:
I KNOW! BUT!!! 
biggrin.gif

One is better.

Do you want your parents to KNOW what you have your pants down on. Or not know?

It would be better for the person and their parents that the screen isn't showing the 'scene'. 

So yeah, its obvious. But I would rather have scenic backgrounds with my pants down than them seeing some chick sprawled eagle legged all across my monitor. 
ph34r.gif

I know what you mean.
But a more humorous parent that is specially more familiar with internet would be able to forever tease... since you'd be the family "I can fap to that" guy.
Well assuming they don't rage on sight.

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #84,657 of 177,750
Quote:
Umm..many reasons. Another game I once played, when you hit a certain keyboard key, will display pictures of scenic backgrounds and crap. Another game would display a dude with a horse head.

.............yeah. Would you rather have your parents catch you with your pants down looking at hentai HHH or scenic backgrounds?

You see, in Mac OSX there's something called "spaces", so I have no need for such tricks!
I simply switch to my "work space" with a swipe on the trackpad.

lol they'll think I have a scenic fetish!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Um.. not sure what you mean...
are you saying the chip colors sound?
have you taken measurements to show it isnt psychoacoustics?

Aug 1, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #84,658 of 177,750
Quote:
You see, in Mac OSX there's something called "spaces", so I have no need for such tricks!

lol they'll think I have a scenic fetish!
biggrin.gif

Um.. not sure what you mean...
are you saying the chip colors sound?
have you taken measurements to show it isnt psychoacoustics?

I KNOW!! SO AWESOME!

I showed my friend who bought a Mac, the beauty of setting up 'the swipe.

No, its a SRC chip inside the Colorfly C4, I just want to know what it does.

It sounds like to me, it allows and supports a multitude of sampling rates to pass through with or without re sampling them to higher rates.

Aug 1, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #84,659 of 177,750
I'm jumping off the ASG-2 train. I'm super happy with my SM64 and I think it would be a better idea to update my source gear.

Soooo....iBasso DX50 or Fiio X3? :)

If you don't mind waiting for them, http://cymbacavum.com/ is going to cover both the X3 and DX50. Have a read of the blog, see if their writing and coverage style works for you.

Aug 1, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #84,660 of 177,750
Quote:

Is there any use for that other than that trick... 

I played around with virtual desktops in Linux and Windows several times, but I never really found myself using them after the "oh this is pretty neat" phase. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back