「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Feb 19, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #58,186 of 177,750
Quote:
Hahaha, I don't understand crap. 
tongue.gif

Electrons travel near the speed of light, not at the speed of light. They have a really small amount of mass.

No, Electrons don't travel at the speed of light, not near it.
Electrical signals propagate at the speed of light.

Look at it this way:
Sound waves propagate at the speed of sound
While air does not.

Feb 19, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #58,187 of 177,750
Oh don't get me wrong they're all having fun, to be honest the horror stories are exaggerated. Then again most of my friends have been in a very competitive environment where despite the fact high school was easy they had other people with similar intellects around them to challenge each other constantly. So I guess the horror stories could originate from students who were always the top of their class with ease and expect to glide through college as well and are shocked when they learn there are people much smarted and more motivated than them, and that class grades and difficulties are based around that level of drive, they get kicked in the ass.
That's why I'm looking at that boarding school... Too on the class, but never study or the like, which I need to start doing...

Feb 19, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #58,188 of 177,750
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah I have a few friends who took Japanese. My brother is taking 2nd year too.
I took intensive 1st year Mandarin (1st year content over 1 summer quarter).

And yes, Collegeboard is a good place to start. Google is good too of course.

I'm from Seattle, now living in Bellevue (area is safer).

So is the Japanese curriculum good?
How intense is the intense class?
Haha, is Seattle that dangerous?
I'm guessing you saw where I was from?

I hear the Japanese curriculum is pretty good, although I hear that about any of the language courses offered.

Intensive class was pretty intense: 8:30am-12:30pm 5 days a week; I learned a lot but since you don't really use the language over a longer period of time, you kind of lose it after 2 quarters of regular classes. I would recommend the regular, 3-quarter track in that regards. I only took the intensive track because I couldn't fit it in with bioengineering class scheduling.

Seattle isn't that bad from my experience, but the crime rate is definitely lower in Bellevue. That plus better traffic situations and is cleaner as a whole. Shopping in downtown Seattle is a whole different experience than shopping in Bellevue, for instance.

Walla Walla is a cool place. Washington has a lot of "friendliest town in America" type of awards. XD

Quote:
Quote:
Ivy league. Yuck....

Yeah, I keep on hearing bad things about Ivy League schools for some reason. I have no idea what they are. Can anybody give me a filler?
Quote:
lol those are all the IV and well known especially w/ MIT for engineering. There's ITT or something like that in India... people that apply there say they use harvard and the other IV as backups. But yeah ITT is really hard from what I heard from my friends w/ 1 getting into Upenn already with the rest waiting for the results in march/april/may. Wouldn't be surprised if they also made the big ones. 

Good luck Hybrid!

I doubt I'll get into any of these schools. MIT is my goal right now but I'm pretty doubtful that I'll make it.

They're really prestigious schools that are basically the "top of the line" universities in the United States. They're also an athletic conference. Their application process is extremely selective so don't be disappointed if you get rejected (my graduating high school class was comprised of over 800 students, only 1 made it to an Ivy League school, Cornell). If you have a really personal personal statement, and your grades are high, and you do a lot of extra curricular activities, you'll have a better shot. Friends from a different high school say a good number of their school's students got accepted to Ivy League schools (this a lower-income, more diverse high school; I dunno if that means much though).

If I go to grad school, MIT is definitely one of the places I will apply to since Professor Robert Langer is a super-famous tissue engineer there and he has published a butt-load of scientific research papers. UW's Professor Buddy Ratner pretty much pioneered the biomaterials sector of bioengineering and Robert Langer is another big person in the tissue engineering sector. I met with Dean Kamen (inventor of the Segway and founder of F.I.R.S.T robotics) since he was visiting Seattle for the high school robotics competition last year and he actually used to work with Robert Langer for prosthetic and other tissue engineering projects.

Long story short, great schools, highly selective. Good luck applying!

Feb 19, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #58,189 of 177,750
Quote:
I hear the Japanese curriculum is pretty good, although I hear that about any of the language courses offered.

Intensive class was pretty intense: 8:30am-12:30pm 5 days a week; I learned a lot but since you don't really use the language over a longer period of time, you kind of lose it after 2 quarters of regular classes. I would recommend the regular, 3-quarter track in that regards. I only took the intensive track because I couldn't fit it in with bioengineering class scheduling.

Seattle isn't that bad from my experience, but the crime rate is definitely lower in Bellevue. That plus better traffic situations and is cleaner as a whole. Shopping in downtown Seattle is a whole different experience than shopping in Bellevue, for instance.

Walla Walla is a cool place. Washington has a lot of "friendliest town in America" type of awards. XD

They're really prestigious schools that are basically the "top of the line" universities in the United States. They're also an athletic conference. Their application process is extremely selective so don't be disappointed if you get rejected (my graduating high school class was comprised of over 800 students, only 1 made it to an Ivy League school, Cornell). If you have a really personal personal statement, and your grades are high, and you do a lot of extra curricular activities, you'll have a better shot. Friends from a different high school say a good number of their school's students got accepted to Ivy League schools (this a lower-income, more diverse high school; I dunno if that means much though).

If I go to grad school, MIT is definitely one of the places I will apply to since Professor Robert Langer is a super-famous tissue engineer there and he has published a butt-load of scientific research papers. UW's Professor Buddy Ratner pretty much pioneered the biomaterials sector of bioengineering and Robert Langer is another big person in the tissue engineering sector. I met with Dean Kamen (inventor of the Segway and founder of F.I.R.S.T robotics) since he was visiting Seattle for the high school robotics competition last year and he actually used to work with Robert Langer for prosthetic and other tissue engineering projects.

Long story short, great schools, highly selective. Good luck applying!

My high school was a rich typical preppy suburban dominantly Caucasian school. My friend that goes to Harvard basically said the type of kids at Harvard and the type of kids at my school dress extremely similar. I didn't even bother applying to any ivy leagues because I knew I wasn't going to be able to get a full ride at any, and I didn't want to pay for any of my undergraduate schooling.

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #58,195 of 177,750
Headacheeeee. Went downtown today and didn't bring my headphone = EARS SO COLD.
This is what I get?! lol
It wasn't even that cold today, wind chill was about -9C/15F only.

Quote:
Quote:

I think ill take rosin fumes instead of crack
wink.gif

That strong scent of rosin on clothes attracts all the ladies! 
biggrin.gif

Sure, means you probably play a classical string instrument. Which does, to some extent, attract ladies
biggrin.gif

Maybe not as effective in the US, or as (acoustic) guitars.

Quote:
Slooow... Oh and someone asked why I bought the physical Manga, it's because it's translated, and I can bring it to school...

Simple: You're actually supporting the industry.

Quote:
Which reminds me, I can always decide to do a graduate mathematics program in a foreign university, or perhaps a PhD.
For now though, I'm perfectly fine at the University of Utrecht. It offers an excellent undergraduate and graduate mathematics program.

Lucky you, the number of universities worldwide that teach my program is in the single digits.
And supposedly at least two are in Canada. I can't go anywhere else
frown.gif

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #58,196 of 177,750
Quote:
Yeah, I keep on hearing bad things about Ivy League schools for some reason. I have no idea what they are. Can anybody give me a filler?
I doubt I'll get into any of these schools. MIT is my goal right now but I'm pretty doubtful that I'll make it.

have faith in thine self.
Originally Posted by HybridCore 

Hm, probably people complaining that they don't make it? They're pretty much the top schools besides stanford which is on the west coast. IV's are all north-eastern. 

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #58,197 of 177,750
My genres are a little jumbled, I never really kept track of the BPM things but here goes nothing; (artists I can give you albums if you'd like)

I'll throw some bassy out for now; mostly dubstep/d&b/hardstyle stuff and a little house:

Skrillex, Nero, Flux Pavilion, Camo & Crooked, Netsky, BT, Daft Punk, Chase & Status, Bassnectar, Feint, Pendulum, Logistics, Spitfire (aka Porter Robinson), Noisia, Metrik, Guido, The Glitch Mob, Feed Me, KOAN sound, Gemini, Skream, Prototyperaptor, Burial, Deadmau5, The Flashbulb, Kavinsky, Crystal Castles, The Crystal Method, Skream, Bobby Tank, & Headhunterz.

Thats like.. 1/5 of my electronic artists collection I think? lol. In particular I think you'd probably like Bobby Tank's Vanquish, Prototyperaptor's lastest album Nostalgiarithm. Oh and Kaskade if you're looking for female vocals/electronic remixes.

Oh and I forgot Spor.

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #58,199 of 177,750
Quote:

Sure, means you probably play a classical string instrument. Which does, to some extent, attract ladies
biggrin.gif

Maybe not as effective in the US, or as (acoustic) guitars.

Haha, rosin fumes though?

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #58,200 of 177,750
@Kalbee, that's one reason actually... Also for being a fan of the TV series, and it was cheap... Also, Clannad is great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back