「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Sep 7, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #29,147 of 177,750
Having OWNED the STX and ODAC at the same time, I can say with confidence that the two are very similar. STX bass is a bit muddy in comparison to the ODAC but there's more quantity. ODAC treble extends a tiny bit better. Detail is exactly the same. I stuck with the ODAC in the end. This was comparing the STX's rca output, not its headphone amp output though.

STX is a very decent piece of hardware but driver support is total ****. And you'll need to get behind your PC whenever you want to plug in/out your headphones. Only two real downsides to the card IMO. 

I was going to rant last night about vocaloid music being artificial but I got sidetracked by a Planetside 2 beta invite. And Bdawk wrote a good reply so I'll just link some Keeno:

Sep 7, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #29,149 of 177,750
Quote:
Having OWNED the STX and ODAC at the same time, I can say with confidence that the two are very similar. STX bass is a bit muddy in comparison to the ODAC but there's more quantity. ODAC treble extends a tiny bit better. Detail is exactly the same. I stuck with the ODAC in the end. This was comparing the STX's rca output, not its headphone amp output though.

STX is a very decent piece of hardware but driver support is total ****. And you'll need to get behind your PC whenever you want to plug in/out your headphones. Only two real downsides to the card IMO. 

I was going to rant last night about vocaloid music being artificial but I got sidetracked by a Planetside 2 beta invite. And Bdawk wrote a good reply so I'll just link some Keeno:

LOL

Well I personally like external DAC and amp units which is why :)

Not too big on vocaloids as well

Sep 7, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #29,151 of 177,750
Quote:
It's been awhile since it's been RTM (released to manufacturing for those who don't know). Wasn't that back in June or July (or it was August)? Anyways, I honestly don't care too much for the launch (October).

1/2 a year? That's sort of long. Maybe in a month (depending on how fast you can learn to use Metro). We'll start seeing reviews from site like Engadget or Anandtech within a week or two.

I like going around swapping system files because now I know where everything is located. I don't find it much of a PITA. Most themes just require replacing an Explorerframe.dll (beginners should make a system restore point before changing any system files) and copy the theme information and .theme file into %windir%/Resources/Themes. It's not all that hard. Manually adding the "take ownership" option can be a bit annoying though. It's easier to download the .exe file available to everybody to add the "Take Ownership" option in the right click menu by editing the registry.

Metro was designed for devices with touch screens. Some sites say that having a touch screen for Windows 8 is a "nice to have", which it is, but it makes Metro much easier to use.

I've said that Metro was just a blown up full screen start button on OCN but nobody listens except for a few. Honestly, it's slightly annoying because you have to switch between the two to run a program unless you know the ****.exe file name for each program you run (explorer.exe, chrome.exe, cmd.exe, etc.) and feel like typing that into the run box which you can just open using Windows Key + R.

Metro Apps are also fullscreen which is slightly inconvenient for desktop use because you have to switch from app to app and you can only use one at a time (actually, I'm pretty sure you can have one application running and then have a small sidebar for another application such as email or Skype possibly).

I think it was August or something, not that it matters since it's out anyway.
I really don't know how to do any of the registry mods and so on, without a guide. Only found out about a month or two ago that I could change the log on screen for Windows 7... not that I ever felt the bother to try, but seems that feature doesn't work in Win8 anymore? I'd love to change the colors and background of both the Log In screen and the Metro/Start background.

I don't read OCN so I never saw :< in fact I jumped into Win8 because my SSD wouldn't want to be clone restored. My last time reading it, however, I saw that the Metro UI can be removed with registry editing... seems that has been removed from the release version.

And while I am getting used to it quite quickly, sort of, there's still one point about Metro that's quite... bad for your privacy. Hopefully there is a way to remove it, but much like the Start menu in the past Windows OS' you can show "All Applications". As I mentioned last time how it lists everything out not in closed folders but literally all listed out in tiles, I've yet to find a way to remove an entry from the list (while as in the past you can delete the folder safety without deleting the actual files). In other words, you can't hide your eroges anymore! Unless you don't actually install it.

Yes, you can have any apps running on the sidebar at almost any time, including having one app running on the main workspace. Closing the apps are kind of a pain... imagine the android method, but right click and close for each. I uninstalled just about every app to rid of the headache. Simply logging out might be a solution, I don't know, since apps can run in the lock screen.

Quote:
http://www.bgr.com/2012/09/05/iphone-5-design-copied-patented-goophone-i5/

This is INGENIUS. I'll give them the credit this time
_proxy

I'll hand it to that company this time around. 

They don't want the iPhone 5 not comming to China. They just want to get a few hundred million for it.

LOL, and I actually like the design more than the iPhone 5's... /want

Quote:

I was favoring "that girl" TOO!! SOO CUTE!! wtsadfSKL;FJDASL;JSA FASF D

You still need to look at everything, an O2 and ODAC isn't always going to be perfect :/

What are you saying, Luka (Ruka?) is a girl!
Well, if you play the game you will know.

Quote:

Rally? Maybe because most of the anime she voices doesn't ring a bell for me or I have not watched it

Sure if he used a REAL singer

Am I the only one that doesn't like voice synthesizer? I feel lonely

I used to hate Vocaloids and such voice synths with a passion, and only used Vocaloids to mark singers with nice voices.
Now I love both! Sometimes the original Vocaloid voice just expresses the song better... how each musician interprets a song's emotions differently, makes different versions to a same song.

And with the amount of auto-tune type of things in today's real singer music, I figured it made little difference at that point.

Quote:
LOL. Dat face. Who is he anyways?

There's a bunch of them. They're the fairies in The Human Race has Declined (or whatever was the English name to it).
Hope they sell them in blister packs (hah), I would collect a bunch of them!!

Somehow my light novel always gives the weirdest coincidences... So the story starts to involve a ghost ship, and suddenly in my Tales of Vesperia playthrough I suddenly get stopped by a ghost ship.
Last time it was about a supernatural murderer that calls you and says "I am behind you"-- and if you turn around you die. And as I was reading around that part while walking home from school, I get a call and literally just hear "I am behind you"!! freaked my out for a second... then I realized it's my brother and he's willing to give me a lift home. He never read the novel, which means it was pure coincidence.
101番目の百物語... it has mystical powers I say.

Sep 7, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #29,152 of 177,750
Quote:
I think it was August or something, not that it matters since it's out anyway.
I really don't know how to do any of the registry mods and so on, without a guide. Only found out about a month or two ago that I could change the log on screen for Windows 7... not that I ever felt the bother to try, but seems that feature doesn't work in Win8 anymore? I'd love to change the colors and background of both the Log In screen and the Metro/Start background.

I don't read OCN so I never saw :< in fact I jumped into Win8 because my SSD wouldn't want to be clone restored. My last time reading it, however, I saw that the Metro UI can be removed with registry editing... seems that has been removed from the release version.

And while I am getting used to it quite quickly, sort of, there's still one point about Metro that's quite... bad for your privacy. Hopefully there is a way to remove it, but much like the Start menu in the past Windows OS' you can show "All Applications". As I mentioned last time how it lists everything out not in closed folders but literally all listed out in tiles, I've yet to find a way to remove an entry from the list (while as in the past you can delete the folder safety without deleting the actual files). In other words, you can't hide your eroges anymore! Unless you don't actually install it.

LOL, and I actually like the design more than the iPhone 5's... /want

What are you saying, Luka (Ruka?) is a girl!
Well, if you play the game you will know.

I used to hate Vocaloids and such voice synths with a passion, and only used Vocaloids to mark singers with nice voices.
Now I love both! Sometimes the original Vocaloid voice just expresses the song better... how each musician interprets a song's emotions differently, makes different versions to a same song.

And with the amount of auto-tune type of things in today's real singer music, I figured it made little difference at that point.

There's a bunch of them. They're the fairies in The Human Race has Declined (or whatever was the English name to it).
Hope they sell them in blister packs (hah), I would collect a bunch of them!!

Somehow my light novel always gives the weirdest coincidences... So the story starts to involve a ghost ship, and suddenly in my Tales of Vesperia playthrough I suddenly get stopped by a ghost ship.
Last time it was about a supernatural murderer that calls you and says "I am behind you"-- and if you turn around you die. And as I was reading around that part while walking home from school, I get a call and literally just hear "I am behind you"!! freaked my out for a second... then I realized it's my brother and he's willing to give me a lift home. He never read the novel, which means it was pure coincidence.
i101番目の百物語... it has mystical powers I say.

I was talking about the dude girl shrine person in steins gate :)

What a coincedence in all that!

I really admire you in reading our posts and typing all that up

New choco school was a good episode for those that like the show

Sep 7, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #29,153 of 177,750
Sep 7, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #29,155 of 177,750
Sep 7, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #29,157 of 177,750
I swear I mostly read this thread and don't post as much as I want T__T

Sep 7, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #29,158 of 177,750
Quote:
70% of the music I have, have sonic problems in them, being unsatisfactory or something, and thus this leads me to believe that they either don't have the capability to hear what sounds good or their equipment isn't doing it or both and mixutre of real world variables

That's true, there are a lot of bad recordings or ones that could be better out there. Not all recording facilities/personell are created equal, but I'd guess any real audio engineer worth their salt knows way more about what they're doing than the stereotypical audiophile who's only clue is "keep buying more and increasingly expensive toys!"

You listen to a lot of pop music though don't you? That could be why, haha. Most modern jazz recordings for example sound very good.

I guess my real point was this:
It seems to me like in general pro audio companies try harder to make solid and well designed products compared to hifi, which is sometimes merely about bling and/or marketing. Not that pro audio isn't effected by the same issues to whatever extent, but I get the feeling that there's more of a tendency to have performance and quality as focuses, whereas in hifi you can make any random thing and if it's shiny enough or gets a good review by someone popular it will probably sell. Audiophiles seem to be willing to put up with various amounts of crap if they believe they are getting better sound or "sig cred" or something, not to mention the huge amount of romanticism that goes on.

Sep 8, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #29,159 of 177,750
Quote:

That's true, there are a lot of bad recordings or ones that could be better out there. Not all recording facilities/personell are created equal, but I'd guess any real audio engineer worth their salt knows way more about what they're doing than the stereotypical audiophile who's only clue is "keep buying more and increasingly expensive toys!"

You listen to a lot of pop music though don't you? That could be why, haha. Most modern jazz recordings for example sound very good.

I guess my real point was this:
It seems to me like in general pro audio companies try harder to make solid and well designed products compared to hifi, which is sometimes merely about bling and/or marketing. Not that pro audio isn't effected by the same issues to whatever extent, but I get the feeling that there's more of a tendency to have performance and quality as focuses, whereas in hifi you can make any random thing and if it's shiny enough or gets a good review by someone popular it will probably sell. Audiophiles seem to be willing to put up with various amounts of crap if they believe they are getting better sound or "sig cred" or something, not to mention the huge amount of romanticism that goes on.

I listen to a wide range but mainly the mainstream ones in that range but none the less,the recording is still a problem even with good ahrdware. As I said before . Owl city uses JH16's but some parts of their songs still sound bad, they probably don't use JH16's to make songs as studio monitors and headphones are the band mentality for that .

That's why hifi has crowd reviews and what not and after practice here you can tell what are bad and what aren't.

Quote:
I swear I mostly read this thread and don't post as much as I want T__T

Just post seriously, we aren't heavy linters in any sense!

Just finished Accel World, decent I guess, I wish it went back to the normal times

where the senpai was still there, burst linking, and he had his wings
but that would be boring

and in ep 22 did ANYONE ELSE SEE THE REFERENCE TO SAO!! :)

Sep 8, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #29,160 of 177,750
Quote:

I was talking about the dude girl shrine person in steins gate :)

What a coincedence in all that!

I really admire you in reading our posts and typing all that up

New choco school was a good episode for those that like the show

Yeah, that person is Luka/Ruka.
P.S. just trying to confuse you :D but I am not lying in any way, you'll see even if you don't play the game. The game only allows you to make it definite. In fact it's' the first ending in terms of order by gameplay length.

Ah, Choco School. Forgot about that one, need to get them missing episodes. Thanks.
I was going to tell you guys to stop the political talk (Head-Fi policy!) but that ended well many pages before lol. The disadvantage of reading past posts in bulk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back