「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Jul 28, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #174,106 of 177,744
Update, the HDD in my old laptop is actually a Hitachi one.

+1 for Hitachi it is.

Still, its really more of luck than anything else. Grab one from a good brand that's affordable, with warrenty and all that stuff from a non-sketchy place and back up anything important regularly just in case.

That's pretty much it.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #174,107 of 177,744
Still, is really more of luck than anything else. Grab one from a good brand that's affordable, with warrenty and all that stuff and back up anything important regularly just in case.

Yep totally agree, best to treat them like consumables because it's only a matter of time until they fail.

Hmmm not following too much this season, just Fate and Made in Abyss.

Jul 29, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #174,108 of 177,744
Bingo, I see you're well versed on dodgy eBay sellers.

My favourite is when they put the item location in Darwin to make you think it's normal for the item to take a while to arrive, but they drop ship it from Hong Kong instead...
Ah, classic. that way if you search for items in "Australia only" it will show up.

Psy-Phi (canceled Sega arcade game) - Sci-Fi
Psycho-Pass - Psychopath

Any more examples?
Yui's guitar "Giita" = guitar
Mio's bass "Elizabeth" = "Elizabass"

+1 for Seagate. My Momentus is doing just fine after 5 years.
+1 for WD. My brother's WD drive is still in 1 piece after 6 years.

H8ers gonna h8.
ybx4Hdn.png

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #174,111 of 177,744
the obvious thing to do is to wait a few years and see how good a model is, but by the time we know, it's probably not sold anymore :/
I'm guessing hard drives like almost everything else must have a high rate of failure in the beginning and things get better after that. but would short term stats show a correlation with how long a model of drive lasts on average?
the drives on my laptop say they had almost 3.5 years of run time(old laptop master race). I've killed 2 external drives in the time I've had this laptop, so now I have back ups of back ups.

do you guys give fancy names to your drives? right now my photo back ups are called Bigly, Fake and Sad. I have the best names. music backups are always called Fumoffu, Fumo, or simply FU(I got 2 ooh ooh letters for you). :scream_cat:
I'm such a rebel, I swear in places I'm the only one to see and the meaning is actually for the anime. nameception.

Jul 30, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #174,112 of 177,744
Wow, that was on Antique Roadshow? Impressive. I didn't know modern pieces were featured on that show.
1tumblr_of49ccdUnz1sug43ho1_500.png

2tumblr_oey1008D5e1sug43ho1_500.png

3tumblr_oeyuyuZ07W1sug43ho1_500.png

5tumblr_ofmsszH37G1sug43ho1_500.png

4tumblr_of91vw3c5U1sug43ho1_500.png

10tumblr_ocmz82jKrP1sug43ho1_500.png

7tumblr_oew7g7vF0Q1sug43ho1_500.png

8tumblr_oeqqrlq4DL1sug43ho1_500.png

9tumblr_oe65vrWgtG1sug43ho1_500.png

10CvxWlzHXEAAkB8E.jpg

Jul 30, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #174,114 of 177,744
Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 00.44.30.png

ok..... how the hell is this high school maths? what high school teaches convergence of infinite tetration??? Is this a Japanese thing?

I had to look up on math.stackexchange to know that if x^x^x..... = a then x^a = a.

... and I don't event know why! (?_?)
can someone explain in laymen terms why if an infinite tetration converges then x^a = a?

Jul 30, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #174,115 of 177,744
It's a bit like wordplay (which isn't surprising since Kakegurui itself is wordplay and likes to use it here and there).

So we start off with the 2 givens; x^x^x... = 2 and x^2 = ?

So lets do this:

y = x^x^x...

Take off the first x, put the rest in parentheses;

y = x^(x^x^x^x^x...)

Looks pretty familiar right.

So if y is equal to an infinite exponentiation of x to the x, then you can rewrite the equation as:

y = x^y

It's important to remember that infinite series are in fact infinite. Taking 1 entry off does absolutely nothing. Is it high school algebra? Unlikely since they don't really teach infinite series as far as I remember in algebra (there is limits to infinity and infinite limits for polynomial functions but that's the closest I've seen) but maybe in Asian countries its more normal. It's kind of this weird nuance probably nobody will think about as far as infinite limits go.

There's some limits as to what numbers will fit that.

https://math.stackexchange.com/ques...itself-infinite-number-of-times/661632#661632

Where I found the answer: http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/70270.html

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetration#Extension_to_infinite_heights

Tetration can be extended to infinite heights[8] (n in
c01b32e0c23055b7c94d949f3a4280f8e8e1a8e1
). This is because for bases within a certain interval, tetration converges to a finite value as the height tends to infinity. For example,
05631028475ff6dab0609ad056bad51789e6cc77
converges to 2, and can therefore be said to be equal to 2. The trend towards 2 can be seen by evaluating a small finite tower:

That being said, the answer in that translation is wrong. It should be root 2.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #174,117 of 177,744
It's a bit like wordplay (which isn't surprising since Kakegurui itself is wordplay and likes to use it here and there).

So we start off with the 2 givens; x^x^x... = 2 and x^2 = ?

So lets do this:

y = x^x^x...

Take off the first x, put the rest in parentheses;

y = x^(x^x^x^x^x...)

Looks pretty familiar right.

So if y is equal to an infinite exponentiation of x to the x, then you can rewrite the equation as:

y = x^y

It's important to remember that infinite series are in fact infinite. Taking 1 entry off does absolutely nothing. Is it high school algebra? Unlikely since they don't really teach infinite series as far as I remember in algebra (there is limits to infinity and infinite limits for polynomial functions but that's the closest I've seen) but maybe in Asian countries its more normal. It's kind of this weird nuance probably nobody will think about as far as infinite limits go.

There's some limits as to what numbers will fit that.

https://math.stackexchange.com/ques...itself-infinite-number-of-times/661632#661632

Where I found the answer: http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/70270.html

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetration#Extension_to_infinite_heights

That being said, the answer in that translation is wrong. It should be root 2.

Doh.... that's really simple, thanks haiby-sensei!

The TL is in fact correct, you don't solve for "x" but for "?" in that question.

I use infinite data-structures every day in programming and I couldn't see it at all... shame on me, must commit sudoku.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #174,118 of 177,744

ok..... how the hell is this high school maths? what high school teaches convergence of infinite tetration??? Is this a Japanese thing?

I had to look up on math.stackexchange to know that if x^x^x..... = a then x^a = a.

... and I don't event know why! (?_?)
can someone explain in laymen terms why if an infinite tetration converges then x^a = a?

Well I learnt limits and basic calculus when I was in elementary school. Was quite surprised how many people can't do algebra when they first started grade 7 here in Canada, but over time I understood why. Just different priorities.

Jul 30, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #174,119 of 177,744
Doh.... that's really simple, thanks haiby-sensei!

The TL is in fact correct, you don't solve for "x" but for "?" in that question.

I use infinite data-structures every day in programming and I couldn't see it at all... shame on me, must commit sudoku.

Ahh I see.

Things that happen when you always solve for variables like x instead of question marks nowadays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back