「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
May 3, 2017 at 3:08 AM Post #173,311 of 177,750
It's a good device for $999 IMO. The port selection really shows that it's aimed at education sectors (alongside Windows 10 S) which is unfortunate (USB A because...well education sectors are almost always using legacy stuff and miniDP because of Macs using miniDP for a good bit after Firewire died). None of the fanless garbage either.

I'm not sure how I feel about them pushing Alcantera but I guess it helps them stand out. Should be a solid device.

Not sure why there's support for the Surface Pen but if they can, why not.

May 3, 2017 at 5:13 AM Post #173,313 of 177,750
Oh man.... I can already imagine it being sticky and gross after a year..... :worried:
Looks like microfibre, and it replaces those rubber feet/spacers that prevents/reduces screen contact with the keyboard. Might help the touchscreen stay cleaner. But yes that means it will accumulate finger oil over the course of its life if it's not user replaceable...

It's a good device for $999 IMO. The port selection really shows that it's aimed at education sectors (alongside Windows 10 S) which is unfortunate (USB A because...well education sectors are almost always using legacy stuff and miniDP because of Macs using miniDP for a good bit after Firewire died). None of the fanless garbage either.

I'm not sure how I feel about them pushing Alcantera but I guess it helps them stand out. Should be a solid device.

Not sure why there's support for the Surface Pen but if they can, why not.

Let's hope Windows 10 S won't be a repeat of Windows RT.

Alcantera is supposedly meant to replicate the feel of suede leather and has been used in automotive interior, so I think they're pushing it as a premium material. It's marketed as "Made in Italy" while Ultrasuede (essentially the same thing) is "Made in Japan". We'd probably prefer the latter.

To make up for the poor trackpad.

Hmmm starts at USD999.... since Microsoft sort of sets trends for other manufacturers, I hope 3:2 screens become more common. Not a fan of a cloth keyboard deck though, that's not something you want to buy/sell used. XD

They sure love their exploding paint power.

This new forum layout's gonna take a bit of getting used to.

Last edited:
May 3, 2017 at 6:44 AM Post #173,314 of 177,750
Still lost with this new Head-Fi interface... Why so slow on my phone and what happened to all my subscriptions... ;~;

----------

Can't seem to upload any photos from my phone... :'(

Last edited:
May 3, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #173,317 of 177,750
you're a student and eat mostly junk food all day as specified in the curriculum of being poor. this is genius targeting!
grab cheetos, rub finger on the cloth part before touching the tactile screen. less markings on the screen=profit \o/ then at the end of the week, you put your laptop in the washing machine at the laundromat with the rest of your clothes and there you go.

the cloth thing is impressively stupid. now if it's easy to replace, I'd take that back and replace it by just very stupid.
the rest seems cool thought.

May 3, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #173,318 of 177,750
Microsoft already has me lost as to what products they're selling. Surface table thing, Surface, Surface Pro, Surface Book, Surface Laptop. Next we need a Surface Surface.
I suppose this counts

you're a student and eat mostly junk food all day as specified in the curriculum of being poor. this is genius targeting!
grab cheetos, rub finger on the cloth part before touching the tactile screen. less markings on the screen=profit \o/ then at the end of the week, you put your laptop in the washing machine at the laundromat with the rest of your clothes and there you go.

the cloth thing is impressively stupid. now if it's easy to replace, I'd take that back and replace it by just very stupid.
the rest seems cool thought.
It looks like it will peel at the edges over time too.

May 3, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #173,319 of 177,750
The Sony MH1C sound way better than they should.
Speaker isolation foam pads work.
Iron Maiden is using JH.

A day filled with surprises.

May 3, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #173,320 of 177,750
Looks like microfibre, and it replaces those rubber feet/spacers that prevents/reduces screen contact with the keyboard. Might help the touchscreen stay cleaner. But yes that means it will accumulate finger oil over the course of its life if it's not user replaceable...

Let's hope Windows 10 S won't be a repeat of Windows RT.

Alcantera is supposedly meant to replicate the feel of suede leather and has been used in automotive interior, so I think they're pushing it as a premium material. It's marketed as "Made in Italy" while Ultrasuede (essentially the same thing) is "Made in Japan". We'd probably prefer the latter.

To make up for the poor trackpad.

Well, it'll keep it clean while it's not "saturated" with dirt and then just make it dirtier later on or something. Doesn't look user replaceable.

It will be close to RT because both are walled garden. I could see this faring better though because unlike RT, 10S is still x86-64 instead of ARM. It can only take apps from Windows Store so regular desktop apps can work so long as they're packaged into a format that will work well on the Windows Store. If we want an analogy it would be how Mac OS does things minus sideloading (or maybe somebody can figure out a way to sideload full Windows apps onto 10S but 10S probably removed some of the infrastructure surrounding that style of program installation so you would need a separate package manager to keep track of programs on the system or some equivalent of a package manager).

I personally like the semi-walled garden/package manager approach since it helps you filter out a good chunk of malicious programs but allows more advanced users to add other repos to get other software. A good example is Gnome Software.

I understand the purpose of Alcantera but I'm not sure how good it is at solving the problems we have with metal keyboard decks (cold during the winter, can feel quite hot if the device isn't cooled properly although w/ a good amount of flagship laptops, hot palm/wrist rests aren't really an issue anymore; hot upper keyboard decks are however). It trades that uncomfortable feeling during the winter of metal keyboard decks or under high temperature load and trades it with uncomfortable feeling during the summer (if not in an air conditioned room) and makes it difficult to clean and or replace.

The Sony MH1C sound way better than they should.

The pair Kalbee sent me broke. :/

The strain relief on the 3.5mm terminal broke and the right channel wire broke. I don't have any tools to recable it. The paper filters fell off (they got really damp really often b/c of use after swimming) so the foam is exposed. Rubber on the strain reliefs near the housings is also tearing.

Can't even afford FAD Heaven II's for $55. XD

Last edited:
May 3, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #173,321 of 177,750
I gave my MH1c away, I couldn't stand the flat cable and my soldering skills are limited to big fat obvious contacts. but I agree that for the price and with a little EQ they are pretty good value. the sound was a pleasant surprise.

May 3, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #173,323 of 177,750
I gave my MH1c away, I couldn't stand the flat cable and my soldering skills are limited to big fat obvious contacts. but I agree that for the price and with a little EQ they are pretty good value. the sound was a pleasant surprise.
The cable was designed by the dark lord Satan himself, but whatever, I'm probably only gonna use these for two to three weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back