「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Jan 20, 2017 at 5:14 AM Post #171,901 of 177,744
  When I pulled it out it had been sitting in the sun and rain for at least 6 months... it had water marks, bird poop and other great things on. Though surprisingly no spider webs... I don't understand why it works, but it does.

eek.gif
  humans will soon be killed by machines : <

Jan 20, 2017 at 5:45 AM Post #171,902 of 177,744

Ryzen/Vega does look exciting.

Yeah you'll be in good hands with our dudes double checking things. The name of the game is performance per dollar and I've been building PCs for a bit over 17 years now maybe? You can fire away with any ol' question on why we recommend one thing over another and I'll be happy to answer.

Nice rescue from the landfill Ace, it's not too uncommon for Dell/HP etc to use power supplies made by the big quality OEMs like Delta/SeaSonic/Flextronics so I wouldn't be too surprised if the power supply is even better than the low end stuff commonly thrown around as recommendations.

I yanked the power supply out of this machine... they wired it just for their setup and couldn't add a GPU and stuff. And it is pretty much useless in any other case... probably a good PSU, due to the customization of the wiring it is rendered... less useful. Might be okay to test a mobo or something, but that's about it.

I shoved in an old crappy PSU from an old machine of mine, it's "rated" for like 600 Watts, and "80+" I think. But probably isn't... doesn't matter though, I won't ever stress it that much with this machine, 200 watt max draw from the wall is no where near the "rated" max.

Jan 20, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #171,905 of 177,744
crowd funding done very correct wrong!
Aside from the bold, cheesey (and to me, a so cheesy it's a bit cringe worthy) art direction, I can't really see too much appeal from the average person who only watched the trailer and has no idea about the franchise.

But that's just my opinion.

Jan 20, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #171,908 of 177,744
  ALL OF YOU GUYS NEED TO WATCH EP 3 OF AKIBA'S TRIP ALL OF YOU.

What happened?
@bowei006, have you ever noticed any throttling with the XPS 15 that you have?

Judging by reviews, the laptops cooling become saturated under stress tests, and people have mentioned experiencing similar issues when gaming sometimes.

Have you experience any of these issues, and if so, did driver optimizations fix it over time, or anything?

Just curious if in every day use (and gaming), these have regular heat issues (and noise from constantly running fans), or if it's a rare case/it was fixed over time but nobody reported back on Reddit.

There is an i5 model of the 9550 available. It has the 960m and costs 1000 CAD.

The 9560 equivilant with the 1050 costs 1350 CAD.

I don't think there's any special holidays good for buying tech in Q1 aside from new year's store, which is just the to sell old stuff, so I doubt I'll get the 1050 version for 1000CAD anytime soon... What to get... What to get...

QAQ

Not when the computer state is set correctly (high performance without any sleeps in between). I've used a few gaming laptops and all have the issue of messed up optimization states if you don't give it a proper restart. Basically its where you change performance settings to Balanced or Power Saver or turn the computer to sleep mode and turn it back on and try to change the performance setting to High Performance again. Most of the time, the laptop won't and it will leave itself in the low powered state. Another thing that happens is if you unplug the laptop from charger power, it will start changing stuff to throttle. This happens all the time and the only 100% way I have to get it back is to restart the comptuer with the AC cord attached. I see it more of a combination of how Windows handles these states and laptop embedded controller firmware limitations. And it is wide spread so not really an issue I would site.

Daily regular use the laptop is very quiet unlike most other gaming laptops which have the fans spinning nearly 24/7. When the XPS 15 starts playing games obviously it gets loud as the fans spin up but not really an issue. I've played DS3 on mine for hours on end (8+ sometimes) and never had abnormal temperatures going up up up and up showing thermal saturation. I have MSI Afterburner OSD on the top left corner showing GPU usage, temperature ect so I always monitor my stuff.

Maybe the reviews you are reading of that issue are for the previous gens which were indeed an issue. I did not have any issues with long term gaming on mine because I have mine on a raised platform so it doesn't block the fans.

Overall, now that I essentially have one of the highly recommended MSI GS63VR side by side with the XPS. I would choose the XPS as the actual using laptop WAAAY over the MSI.  

Kuzu no Honkai: What the heck. This is such a huge love web.

It's amazing

Oh, and all jokes aside, please don't get on the PCMR bandwagon. Apparently it's still going on, and those who take it seriously really need to stop bullying each other.
frown.gif

I do like PCMR and would wear it as a badge without hesitation. But I see it mostly as a meme and I take it satirically.  

H A L F A M I L L I O N D O L L A R S

Yep...raised almost immediately

Jan 20, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #171,910 of 177,744
What happened?

Not when the computer state is set correctly (high performance without any sleeps in between). I've used a few gaming laptops and all have the issue of messed up optimization states if you don't give it a proper restart. Basically its where you change performance settings to Balanced or Power Saver or turn the computer to sleep mode and turn it back on and try to change the performance setting to High Performance again. Most of the time, the laptop won't and it will leave itself in the low powered state. Another thing that happens is if you unplug the laptop from charger power, it will start changing stuff to throttle. This happens all the time and the only 100% way I have to get it back is to restart the comptuer with the AC cord attached. I see it more of a combination of how Windows handles these states and laptop embedded controller firmware limitations. And it is wide spread so not really an issue I would site.

Daily regular use the laptop is very quiet unlike most other gaming laptops which have the fans spinning nearly 24/7. When the XPS 15 starts playing games obviously it gets loud as the fans spin up but not really an issue. I've played DS3 on mine for hours on end (8+ sometimes) and never had abnormal temperatures going up up up and up showing thermal saturation. I have MSI Afterburner OSD on the top left corner showing GPU usage, temperature ect so I always monitor my stuff.

Maybe the reviews you are reading of that issue are for the previous gens which were indeed an issue. I did not have any issues with long term gaming on mine because I have mine on a raised platform so it doesn't block the fans.

Overall, now that I essentially have one of the highly recommended MSI GS63VR side by side with the XPS. I would choose the XPS as the actual using laptop WAAAY over the MSI.  

It's amazing

I do like PCMR and would wear it as a badge without hesitation. But I see it mostly as a meme and I take it satirically.  

Yep...raised almost immediately

Ah, thanks for the info!

... Really debating if I should get the xps with 960m...

Honestly, all I do is more Skyrim, a very rare case that actually needs 4gb of vram. QAQ on my 390 with all my texture mods, 4gb is pretty much a baseline requirement (not saying that a 960m compares to a 390).

If the 1050 is indeed 30 percent more powerful, then I'm pretty much paying over 50% more for 30 percent gain in GPU performance, 2gb more vram, better battery, stuff Kaby Lake brings and unknown other changes, good or bad. I'm hoping the new xps has better cooling as the home I live in has no AC and gets very hot in the summers, and that the FHD screen doesn't have any PWM at all on all brightness levels (though I doubt it will change). Don't quite want the UHD one... Also, there also things like the Inspiron laptop market that offers promising paper specs at the expense of certain features, certain features I think most people won't mind losing, especially for their cheap price.

They just need to have a FHD screen that isn't like 50% sRGB. :p

Jan 20, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #171,912 of 177,744
Guys can I have your opinion on this?

http://m.ebay.ca/itm/302173098094?_mwBanner=1

It's in the country I'm from, so no import tax too. Seems too good to be true, but seller has good feedback.

Jan 20, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #171,913 of 177,744
Guys can I have your opinion on this?

http://m.ebay.ca/itm/302173098094?_mwBanner=1

It's in the country I'm from, so no import tax too. Seems too good to be true, but seller has good feedback.

It's good if you sketch, mainly as part of your profession.

So that's mostly industrial design, UX design, graphic design, some engineers, or full on artists. It's pretty good if you're a student as well and want a note taking device. Obviously this means you need to buy the Apple Pencil which is quite a worthy purchase IMO.

The iPad Pro is very much a companion device to your laptop so it's not a computer replacement like the Surface Pro series even just ignoring the fact that it runs iOS.

If you're going to use it as a regular iPad that works as well.

It really depends how much time you spend away from your desktop, laptop, or phone. I usually feel like iPads are for people with very light on the go needs or like to go around their home watching content on a tablet instead of a phone or laptop.

Jan 20, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #171,914 of 177,744
It's good if you sketch, mainly as part of your profession.

So that's mostly industrial design, UX design, graphic design, some engineers, or full on artists.

Yeah that's me.

It's pretty good if you're a student as well and want a note taking device. Obviously this means you need to buy the Apple Pencil which is quite a worthy purchase IMO.

Oh yeah, that's definitely me.

It really depends how much time you spend away from your desktop, laptop, or phone. I usually feel like iPads are for people with very light on the go needs or like to go around their home watching content on a tablet instead of a phone or laptop.

Yep. Me.

0.0;

My friend is telling me to get the 12.9 inch version instead. He uses his Surface Pro 4 for animations, and the 12.9 inch iPad is about the same size as that so he has a decent grasp. It's also about the same size as the printing paper we use so he says it's worth waiting for the new iPad Pro. However, this model is on a significant discount, and I have doubts about the portability of the larger device. :/

My friend says his Surface Pro is perfectly portable like a laptop and I trust him, but I'm usually standing with a sketchbook in my hand for hours. Not exactly the same workflow as him...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back