「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Dec 13, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #170,506 of 177,745
Honestly if I had the money to throw at a mid-high end amp/dac system I'd probably get a Woo Fireflies just because it's ridiculously pretty.

That thing is just gorgeous.

Probably among the prettiest. Love that design too.

Dec 13, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #170,507 of 177,745
Hmm, I have low confidence with HP here. But I guess it’s slightly more confidence than I have for lenovo lol.

Buy something or from somewhere that has good support, it's no fun sending your babby off for three weeks to get repaired for god knows what. If the laptop is just a secondary machine or a toy then yeah, min-max to the heavens I guess. The HP does look pretty nice, how about a Surface Pro 4? They might be semi-affordable now that we're nearing the next upgrade cycle.

My logic is, any 2-in-1 laptop first is pretty poopy as a tablet, whereas the SP4 is a great tablet and a usable laptop. Unless..you know...you actually want to use it on your lap most of the time in which case the SP4 sucks for that because of the kickstand. No storage upgrades too, ahhh you know what, forget it, buy a decent cheap laptop AND a tablet. :p  

Dell is actually very good support here, haha. HP is a far second. I did think about the SP4, but just looking for some alternative for a laptop first hybrid because I'm looking at this more for work. My phone so far is enough for any portable "tablet-y" tasks (like pr0n and H), and a battlestation is in the planning (pending National Budget). But true, let's see what MS is bringing forth with the SP5. Hopefully they will bring them in to here faster than the SP4 and so that I can get the SP4 cheaper :p.

Actually I'm liking Occultic;Nine now.
At first I was watching for Miyuu-tan despite of the awkward pacing. But then slowly getting used to it and the story catches up, and now there is even Asuna-chan :>

It took like, what, 9 episodes? Not worth for me to continue then. :p

Honestly if I had the money to throw at a mid-high end amp/dac system I'd probably get a Woo Fireflies just because it's ridiculously pretty.

Damm straight.

Dec 13, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #170,508 of 177,745
  Actually I'm liking Occultic;Nine now.
At first I was watching for Miyuu-tan despite of the awkward pacing. But then slowly getting used to it and the story catches up, and now there is even Asuna-chan :>

miyu-pon <3

and ryutasu is actually not annoying anymore~

It's functional modern art.

@sudoku

reminds me of ahoge/ahegao
tongue.gif

Dec 13, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #170,509 of 177,745
If you have that much budget, you can go big and buy something like Zana Deux S

Took a look at it. Looks interesting but I would have to ship it I assume since I doubt they sell it where I live and import tax is prohibitively expensive.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The iFi Pro iCan caught my attention though. Has a tube circuit and a solid state circuit all in one box! Couldn't ask for a more convenient package. I do have a question though... Since this amp is balanced, will a non-balanced DAC bottleneck it?

edit: Found the answer

Dec 13, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #170,510 of 177,745
No, it’s not.

And since now that you’ve revealed yourself, commit sudoku now to redeem yourself.

That sounded exactly like what my friend would say

Dec 13, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #170,513 of 177,745
Dec 13, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #170,517 of 177,745
Hmm, I have low confidence with HP here. But I guess it’s slightly more confidence than I have for lenovo lol.

I'm pretty sure everybody has low confidence w/ HP given their past track record but for the past year or two they've put out some really solid devices.

Their Spectre laptops have been ridiculously good recently (really just the Spectre 12 and Spectre x360 since those are the only ones).

It's kind of hard to go wrong with a Spectre right now. Besides I don't think there's a single laptop that can compete with the Spectre x360 Kaby Lake (2016) as of now if we're talking convertibles. They're all worse.

Edit: forgot about the ThinkPad X1 Yoga. The X1 Yoga uses an OLED panel though so it'll require calibration constantly if you want spot on color accuracy (at least calibration more often than a traditional LCD-LED). IT also costs an arm and a leg and it's Lenovo. That is also due for a refresh soon. Most of the laptop manufacturers are going to be showing off stuff at CES then have it ship during March or so.

Dell is actually very good support here, haha. HP is a far second. I did think about the SP4, but just looking for some alternative for a laptop first hybrid because I'm looking at this more for work. My phone so far is enough for any portable "tablet-y" tasks (like pr0n and H), and a battlestation is in the planning (pending National Budget). But true, let's see what MS is bringing forth with the SP5. Hopefully they will bring them in to here faster than the SP4 and so that I can get the SP4 cheaper :p.

SP4 is kind of in a weird spot right now because it's due for a refresh in March (Microsoft uses an 18 month launch cycle for the Surface products IIRC) so it's kind of a bad buy right now. That and no USB-C for future-proofing and as a laptop it's pretty meh (because kickstand like mentioned earlier).

The only other good tablet-first hybrids use Core M processors (HP Elite/Spectre x2, Eve-Tech V).

Dec 13, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #170,518 of 177,745
SP4 is kind of in a weird spot right now because it's due for a refresh in March (Microsoft uses an 18 month launch cycle for the Surface products IIRC) so it's kind of a bad buy right now. That and no USB-C for future-proofing and as a laptop it's pretty meh (because kickstand like mentioned earlier).

As an SP4 owner (couldn't resist a good deal earlier this year):
Kickstand is what it is. You need to go in understanding what you're getting. As far as the mechanical functioning of the kickstand, it's rock solid. And it surprisingly works pretty well on the lap, dividing force pretty evenly so as to not be painful. Type cover is alright, not gonna win any awards, though I did get the premium one which looks and feels the part.

I'm also meh on trying to future proof PCs, it's a losing battle IMO, like TVs. Everyone is pushing and jumping on the 4K bandwagon when there's barely any worthwhile content, and likely won't be any for another 2-3 years. At that point you can get better than you could now for 2/3 the price or less, and it'll actually be worth using.

As far as bad buy, I think that would depend on the needs and the price. If you can get a new i5 SP4 for say $500, probably on sale when the SP5 comes out, and you don't really need what the SP5 offers for the probable $1K, it seems like it could be a good deal to me.

Dec 13, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #170,519 of 177,745
As an SP4 owner (couldn't resist a good deal earlier this year):
Kickstand is what it is. You need to go in understanding what you're getting. As far as the mechanical functioning of the kickstand, it's rock solid. And it surprisingly works pretty well on the lap, dividing force pretty evenly so as to not be painful. Type cover is alright, not gonna win any awards, though I did get the premium one which looks and feels the part.

I'm also meh on trying to future proof PCs, it's a losing battle IMO, like TVs. Everyone is pushing and jumping on the 4K bandwagon when there's barely any worthwhile content, and likely won't be any for another 2-3 years. At that point you can get better than you could now for 2/3 the price or less, and it'll actually be worth using.

As far as bad buy, I think that would depend on the needs and the price. If you can get a new i5 SP4 for say $500, probably on sale when the SP5 comes out, and you don't really need what the SP5 offers for the probable $1K, it seems like it could be a good deal to me.

It's not that it's very uncomfortable (I haven't heard many complaints about it) it's that, unless you have long thighs, it's not usable by a lot of people because the footprint of the device gets so long when the screen is tilted that far back that the stand actually falls off your legs, and there's a good chance you get close to that angle if you're using the device in your lap like a laptop (keyboard cover being used obviously).

USB-C isn't really pointless future proofing in that kind of way you're describing. We already know USB-C is going to be the dominant standard within the next year or two. You're better off getting a computer with USB-C now (and dealing with dongle life if it's majority USB-C or all USB-C) instead of actually needing adapters down the road for USB-C to A because all of the new accessories are all USB-C.

Good luck. The lowest you'll probably find the i5 SP5 will be $700-$800 on sale (which is still a good deal, although the real price is $100 more because keyboard cover).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back