「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Oct 21, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #169,201 of 177,750
  Yep, He8's

I haven't counted how much I spent but I guess it's just over 4k including the RAID card that gonna arrive soon...

Mmmm, nice. Looking at Seagate archive drives for my storage (cheaper, but slow, which is fine I think). And going with Storage Spaces for my psuedo RAID, again, cheaper and will suffice for what I want to do.

Servers on a budget is hard. :frowning2: But hopefully it will be worth it in the end.

Oct 21, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #169,203 of 177,750
  Mmmm, nice. Looking at Seagate archive drives for my storage (cheaper, but slow, which is fine I think). And going with Storage Spaces for my psuedo RAID, again, cheaper and will suffice for what I want to do.

Servers on a budget is hard. :frowning2: But hopefully it will be worth it in the end.

You should checkout seagate's archive drives if you're not gonna access your data a whole lot.

Oct 21, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #169,204 of 177,750
  media archiving, workstation, game streaming server.

You need more drives man. Don't stop until you reach petabyte. When I made my Sandybridge-E setup in 2011 it was around $3,500. It's amazing how far that cash can go only 5 years later. I could barely afford the 2 64GB ssds for the RAID0 OS installation back then lol.

So do any of you know what to do to fix a RAID array that has become really slow? I paid $1,100 for it years ago. It worked fine until this year. Now it takes awhile just to be recognized, then when I transfer files, it's like a hundred times slower than before. Tried everything I could think of. Defragmenting barely made any progress.even after days on end. Software says the health is fine. I can't get support from the company (Buffalo) since it's out of warranty. I believe the RAID configuration is set up so that if one of the four drives fails, it can be replaced with no loss of data. However, if that happened, I don't think any of the data would be accessible in the meantime, so it doesn't seem to be a drive failure. I'm paranoid about privacy and would rather not send it to a stranger to get fixed, but it may be unavoidable...

Oct 21, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #169,206 of 177,750
Lol that is what I said, haha.

oops, dyslexia kicking in
rolleyes.gif

Oct 21, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #169,207 of 177,750

That's supposed to be a server eventually, but I am bouncing around money and other things before I can do the rebuild of it.

Eh same. I actually have one small server that I used like a year ago but it got problem with the OS.
Been wanting to rebuild it but I'm too lazy. Want to turn it into music server but a small laptop looks easier.

I better just buy more SATA PCIe card for more space in my current PC.

I would like to say kotori is my best girl but it really is Eli lol. (Happy belated birthday waifu) And Kotori is my 2nd fav only because I'm similar to her.

Too lazy to take pic of my desk again so I'll have something similar like Dave

Oct 21, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #169,208 of 177,750
  This is awesome, I didn't know momo could sing in Chinese.

meanwhile, I'm still waiting for my copy of their new album from amazon..... #HYPE

Added the Amazon.jp limited edition to my cart some time ago, but was considering other purchases poi and didn't check out... and now it has been sold out, with 3rd party sellers flipping with high price tags while not shipping overseas :/
urgh, just ordred a normal one. Already found download source for the instrumentals anyway.

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #169,209 of 177,750
  Added the Amazon.jp limited edition to my cart some time ago, but was considering other purchases poi and didn't check out... and now it has been sold out, with 3rd party sellers flipping with high price tags while not shipping overseas :/
urgh, just ordred a normal one. Already found download source for the instrumentals anyway.

Ouch.....

Where did you find the instrumentals? I've been looking for them...

Oct 22, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #169,213 of 177,750

Shame to those who keeps their Dharma mangled or keeps their hentai at their desk.

What the toilet paper for there?
Nevermind, I don't wanna know.....

Yep, He8's

I haven't counted how much I spent but I guess it's just over 4k including the RAID card that gonna arrive soon...

Lol I've had pretty good luck just looking on Craigslist for cheap/free desktop PCs and throwing some of my old parts in them. 
tongue.gif

Depends on what you use it for though I guess, mine's just a seedbox which still runs like a champ on its old P4 single core with HT! :D

Oct 22, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #169,215 of 177,750
  What the toilet paper for there?
Nevermind, I don't wanna know.....

Lol I've had pretty good luck just looking on Craigslist for cheap/free desktop PCs and throwing some of my old parts in them. 
tongue.gif

Depends on what you use it for though I guess, mine's just a seedbox which still runs like a champ on its old P4 single core with HT! :D

I have something similar going on, it's a Core2Duo machine that was salvaged from the dumpster, I'm looking at turning it into a cheapo file server. But for a real server I'm going to reuse the base hardware that I already have (FX-8320, RAM, GPU, etc.) and just add drives and stuff. That way it will also have some processing power and utility, rather than just a file storage device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back