☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
Nov 24, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #4,216 of 5,932

Yeah, I know, but I was hoping to be able to find some acceptable middle ground. The difference does not seem all that large in practice. 

I guess I can still listen to one hp through my Hugo, then still feed the LC through the Hugo for the other hp, using the LC volume control to make up for difference in loudness.

Use the Ether's on the Hugo (as the Ether's are more sensitive), and use the Prime's on the LC for best sound.

Nov 24, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #4,217 of 5,932
The LC is now roughly half the way to its 150 hour breakin. I have listened some during that time but have not heard too much of a change so far. Honestly it has not had that magical engagement yet that I have read about. Hopefully during the next 75 hours it will really develop that special CA sound.

Nov 24, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #4,218 of 5,932
  Looking at tracking scan records for my LC shipment (to Australia). It took 8 days (from 17 Nov to 24 Nov) for it to travel from Westminster CA to Chicago IL (USPS). That is painfully slow. Not sure if this is normal in US. Am I alone experiencing slow delivery?

That's normal for USPS, they are always so slow with international packages. no kidding. My USPS packages sent to Asia take over a week in the US, sometimes multiple. and when they reach the country i have them by the next day.

I tend to go for Fedex or DHL now (not UPS) for any important purchases. My LC was sent out Friday afternoon PST. I had them by Tuesday morning 9:30 AM GMT + 8 via Fedex

Nov 25, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #4,219 of 5,932
Your Liquid Carbon® amplifier has been tested before leaving the factory, but has very few
hours on it. Most amplifiers need at least 150 hours of continuous use, playing music, to reach
their full sound signatures. We recommend about the same for the Liquid Carbon®.
You can, when you’re not listening, you leave the amp on continuously with your source in loop
mode for enough hours to reach the 150 hour point. It is not necessary to leave headphones
attached. In fact, we recommend that you disconnect your headphones when not listening
during this break-in period.
At this point - and not before this point – will the amplifier reach the level of performance
enabling you to accurately judge its sound quality and to determine whether it meets your
critical listening standard.

From the manual...why do they recommend disconnecting headphones while breaking in the LC?
(I'm in day 3 break in, about half way there...)

Nov 25, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #4,220 of 5,932
The LC is now roughly half the way to its 150 hour breakin. I have listened some during that time but have not heard too much of a change so far. Honestly it has not had that magical engagement yet that I have read about. Hopefully during the next 75 hours it will really develop that special CA sound.

IMHO, the sound you get out of the box is generally the sound you will get from any audio product, that is to say that burn-in makes only very subtle differences. The sound of a transducer or amp can only change so much depending on the source chain. That being said, your chain will make an enormous difference in the performance of the LC amp. From your profile, looks like you have a great arsenal of cans - I recommend trying a lot of them, and even swapping DAC's to find out what works best. Also try balanced headphones and wait for burn-in.

Nov 25, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #4,222 of 5,932

First of all, this is hype-fi so take that into consideration. I'm not trying to talk bad about Cavallis products, because I like them very much, but it's just seems people on this website has a tendency to hype things up to be more than they are. Secondly I think prefence could play a role here. The people who praised it might have different prefences to you so that magical engagement you're looking for might already be there, just not for you. I don't know, just my thoughts.

Nov 25, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #4,223 of 5,932
  I wonder if this "Pelican" clone would hold the LC?

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12180

If it does, it would be quite a steal...

Nope. If the LC didn't have a volume knob the chassis itself would potentially fit (but just barely), but with the knob the length is more like 7.5", so no go with this case since the internal dimension is 7". Cheers

Nov 25, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #4,224 of 5,932
  Nope. If the LC didn't have a volume knob the chassis itself would potentially fit (but just barely), but with the knob the length is more like 7.5", so no go with this case since the internal dimension is 7". Cheers

Bummer.  Maybe this one?  Though a little bulkier then some would like, still also a deal.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12679

Nov 25, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #4,225 of 5,932
Nov 25, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #4,226 of 5,932

First of all, this is hype-fi so take that into consideration. I'm not trying to talk bad about Cavallis products, because I like them very much, but it's just seems people on this website has a tendency to hype things up to be more than they are. Secondly I think prefence could play a role here. The people who praised it might have different prefences to you so that magical engagement you're looking for might already be there, just not for you. I don't know, just my thoughts.

I will add, it is important to gauge on listening experience to the final product. Much of the hype was from the demo.

In my opinion, based on around 75 hours of burn-in, there is a sonic difference between the final and demonstration units. I will not be adding my comments (i.e. likes and dislikes), until I listen to it for a long while and I am 100% certain there are no further sonic changes. I will only add that I do believe there have been sonic changes during burn-in.

Nov 25, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #4,227 of 5,932

Bummer.  Maybe this one?  Though a little bulkier then some would like, still also a deal.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12679

Would likely just squeeze in, but to protect the LC you need some buffer space between the unit and the case, otherwise any shocks to the case will risk being transmitted to the LC if there's not enough padding protecting it. 

I'd recommend this one. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/40634-REG/Pelican_1200_000_180_1200_Case_with_Foam.html

It's more expensive, but the Pelican cases are bullet-proof. 

Cheers 

Nov 25, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #4,228 of 5,932

This happened with me when I was so excited for the Bottlehead Crack. It was really hard for me to tell the difference with the Bottlehead Crack, people made it seem like it was some kind of magical sound. I had to switch around amps to see if there were big differences and really the differences were very minute. It was to the point if I just sat down and listened without the Crack I wouldn't even care that much. 

That being said, it really depends on what kind of gear you have. If you have something mid end already I wouldn't expect a massive difference. But I gotta say I am really excited for my LC to arrive. I really hope it does make my HD800 shine more... 

Nov 25, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #4,229 of 5,932
Amp differences, in general, are not going to be of the magnitude of headphone differences. They are subtle (not so subtle if you are going from an underpowered phone, but subtle if you are already using a decent amp, as noted above). There are differences, that you can pick up in close listening, and they can make a difference in listening enjoyment. But, the act of describing these differences in words, seems to me, generally inflates the impression. It is hard to say something is more "open" or "detailed" without giving the impression of day and night differences, which I generally don't find to be the case in well designed gear past the very basic level. They are usually more obvious in direct comparison.

Nov 25, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #4,230 of 5,932
Amp differences, in general, are not going to be of the magnitude of headphone differences. They are subtle (not so subtle if you are going from an underpowered phone, but subtle if you are already using a decent amp, as noted above). There are differences, that you can pick up in close listening, and they can make a difference in listening enjoyment. But, the act of describing these differences in words, seems to me, generally inflates the impression. It is hard to say something is more "open" or "detailed" without giving the impression of day and night differences, which I generally don't find to be the case in well designed gear past the very basic level. They are usually more obvious in direct comparison.

I think it also depends on what headphone you are using since some headphones scales alot more than others. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back