☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
Nov 29, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #4,246 of 5,932
oh my gosh this small amp has 4 freakin threads..

I gleaned quite a bit from the other impression thread but have no idea which on to subscribe to.  For those of you who have a pulse infinity, how much of a step up is this from the balanced headphone out of the infinity? I only ask because one individual felt the amp on the infinity was better. I am very doubtful of that comment for two reasons.. the headphone out of the infinity balanced sounds thin, slightly bright, and definitely not my cup of tea. From what I understand the pulse infinity dac is actually not bright so I am hoping to have better results from this as a stand alone amp with the infinity. 

I just left the thx00 drop and think I made the right choice by purchasing this amp instead, I can always pick up a used txh00. If this doesn't work for me then I will save up for an eddie current black widow.

Nov 29, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #4,247 of 5,932
oh my gosh this small amp has 4 freakin threads..

I gleaned quite a bit from the other impression thread but have no idea which on to subscribe to.  For those of you who have a pulse infinity, how much of a step up is this from the balanced headphone out of the infinity? I only ask because one individual felt the amp on the infinity was better. I am very doubtful of that comment for two reasons.. the headphone out of the infinity balanced sounds thin, slightly bright, and definitely not my cup of tea. From what I understand the pulse infinity dac is actually not bright so I am hoping to have better results from this as a stand alone amp with the infinity. 

I just left the thx00 drop and think I made the right choice by purchasing this amp instead, I can always pick up a used txh00. If this doesn't work for me then I will save up for an eddie current black widow.

I went for both, but given the choice between the two, I'm quite certain you made the right decision. :)

Nov 29, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #4,248 of 5,932
Warning
frown.gif

Nov 29, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #4,249 of 5,932
Oohhh we are LC buddies. Congrats on your LC. Mine just hit the 150hr burn in mark. What serial did you get?

Fortunately I arrived in the US when my LC arrived. Did you get taxed? I'm still waiting for my Marrow Audio rcas and power cables to complete my rig.

I'll be back to the Philippines on the 6th of December

Got 89/90 serials :), I used the usual JAC to get it in here.

Nov 29, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #4,251 of 5,932
Back to burn in, now the no headphones connected version, as in the manual, be done in about 2020...

Nov 29, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #4,252 of 5,932
Oh well burned in for at least 2 hours and can't wait to listen to it so I did myself a favor and plugged in my headhphones while working..it's holiday here so no people in the office however the damn air cooler is so loud...can't listen to my headphones critically..so just rocking it now..

Quote:
Oh i missed that nice...left mine running so it should hit 200 hrs burn in before i go back to the PH.

I got serial 102

Nov 30, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #4,253 of 5,932

With the balanced connections plugged in and driving headphones, the amp is very active. If you plug in a TRS jack .....

1. You create a dead short from one of the output rails to ground  = instant overload 

- several amps have been destroyed in this way, the most spectacular was probably the B22 at a meet which was hot swapped while trying to compare various headphones, it literally went up in smoke. 

- please treat these devices with respect, any headphone amp should be turned to minimum volume prior to plugging / unplugging a TRS jack

2. Never drive balanced and SE at the same time - unless there are separate amplification sections for each. If you are trying to use the same output to drive balanced and SE, you are pulling half the load off one of the output rails and thus significantly unbalancing the output and placing undue strain on the amplifier itself. 

a bit like taking your car round a race track while you have deflated the tires on the one side. 

..dB

Nov 30, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #4,254 of 5,932

With the balanced connections plugged in and driving headphones, the amp is very active. If you plug in a TRS jack .....

1. You create a dead short from one of the output rails to ground  = instant overload 

- several amps have been destroyed in this way, the most spectacular was probably the B22 at a meet which was hot swapped while trying to compare various headphones, it literally went up in smoke. 

- please treat these devices with respect, any headphone amp should be turned to minimum volume prior to plugging / unplugging a TRS jack

2. Never drive balanced and SE at the same time - unless there are separate amplification sections for each. If you are trying to use the same output to drive balanced and SE, you are pulling half the load off one of the output rails and thus significantly unbalancing the output and placing undue strain on the amplifier itself. 

a bit like taking your car round a race track while you have deflated the tires on the one side. 

..dB

FYI, I had no idea about any of this stuff. Is it included in the manual? 

Some of us are just newbies in the head-fi world, and have pretty much zero understanding of what's going on at an electrical level. 

Nov 30, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #4,256 of 5,932
That's what I also did. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for my address confirmation email as I ordered pretty late in the line (july) and hoping to get it by December. I guess we'll soon be 3 LC buddies.
smily_headphones1.gif
have my balanced cans waiting for it!

I ordered in July as well, whats your order #?

Nov 30, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #4,259 of 5,932

FYI, I had no idea about any of this stuff. Is it included in the manual?

Some of us are just newbies in the head-fi world, and have pretty much zero understanding of what's going on at an electrical level.

Hang in there.  I've blown up my fair share of equipment over the years.  One time it was a 1500 watt bass amp.  THAT was LOUD!!!

Nov 30, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #4,260 of 5,932

Users who are viewing this thread

Back