☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
Nov 30, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #4,261 of 5,932
  oh my gosh this small amp has 4 freakin threads..

I gleaned quite a bit from the other impression thread but have no idea which on to subscribe to.  For those of you who have a pulse infinity, how much of a step up is this from the balanced headphone out of the infinity? I only ask because one individual felt the amp on the infinity was better. I am very doubtful of that comment for two reasons.. the headphone out of the infinity balanced sounds thin, slightly bright, and definitely not my cup of tea. From what I understand the pulse infinity dac is actually not bright so I am hoping to have better results from this as a stand alone amp with the infinity. 

I just left the thx00 drop and think I made the right choice by purchasing this amp instead, I can always pick up a used txh00. If this doesn't work for me then I will save up for an eddie current black widow.

@mscott58 should be able to answer this question...

Nov 30, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #4,263 of 5,932

@mscott58 should be able to answer this question...

Thanks Dan, and yes, I did just answer the question (at least in a short-version) here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/787608/cavalli-audios-liquid-carbon-owners-impressions/285#post_12120563

Cheers 

Nov 30, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #4,264 of 5,932
June 09. Order #845. No notice.

Nov 30, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #4,265 of 5,932
With the balanced connections plugged in and driving headphones, the amp is very active. If you plug in a TRS jack .....

1. You create a dead short from one of the output rails to ground  = instant overload 

- several amps have been destroyed in this way, the most spectacular was probably the B22 at a meet which was hot swapped while trying to compare various headphones, it literally went up in smoke. 

- please treat these devices with respect, any headphone amp should be turned to minimum volume prior to plugging / unplugging a TRS jack

2. Never drive balanced and SE at the same time - unless there are separate amplification sections for each. If you are trying to use the same output to drive balanced and SE, you are pulling half the load off one of the output rails and thus significantly unbalancing the output and placing undue strain on the amplifier itself. 

a bit like taking your car round a race track while you have deflated the tires on the one side. 

..dB

Thanks

However for safety there should be a switch to select SE or balanced like the input has one or the other.

Nov 30, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #4,268 of 5,932
  My order is in May. Number I think is 7xx, need to check. Hopefully will receive notice soon.

#682 got mine last week. So I would think you would get it this week. Notice that is.

Nov 30, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #4,269 of 5,932
Thanks

However for safety there should be a switch to select SE or balanced like the input has one or the other.

I think a lot of the issues he's talking about can be compensated for with good amp design.  The B22 is a DIY amp and there's an option to install a circuit that protects from the kind of short he's talking about; seems it wasn't installed on this one.

My point is that Cavalli amps are well-designed and should be able to handle these things.  I've certainly violated every check point above on my LC and had no issues...

That said, these are great rules of thumb that people should be doing just in case.  It takes no time to turn down the volume when swapping headphones; if nothing else, it should be done just to save your ears and drivers from sudden volume changes.

Nov 30, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #4,270 of 5,932

I think a lot of the issues he's talking about can be compensated for with good amp design.  The B22 is a DIY amp and there's an option to install a circuit that protects from the kind of short he's talking about; seems it wasn't installed on this one.

My point is that Cavalli amps are well-designed and should be able to handle these things.  I've certainly violated every check point above on my LC and had no issues...

That said, these are great rules of thumb that people should be doing just in case.  It takes no time to turn down the volume when swapping headphones; if nothing else, it should be done just to save your ears and drivers from sudden volume changes.

Amen to that. Especially at shows. I've gone to booths before where someone left the volume at "ear drum breaker" levels and almost been knocked to the floor...

Nov 30, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #4,271 of 5,932
#682 got mine last week. So I would think you would get it this week. Notice that is.

Considering all current orders start shipping in the week starting Dec 8 I would assume we will all get emails in the space of every few days.

Dec 1, 2015 at 5:00 AM Post #4,273 of 5,932
@runeight , do we have a Monday update to confirm last Monday's update? 
o2smile.gif

Dec 1, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #4,275 of 5,932
Couldn't resist, placed my order today, number 1177. I don't mind waiting as long as it'd be here before I've got enough cash for the Edition X :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back