☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
Jul 27, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #2,507 of 5,932
You may not want to give it a listen if you don't want to keep it.
If I'm honestly that blown away by it I'll probably just buy a liquid gold since I want my next amp to be an endgame one. I actually think I'll be disappointed though because I doubt it will compete with other amps I've heard already though I think it will be very good for the price.

Jul 27, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #2,508 of 5,932
Frankly, I'm surprised that no one has posted anything like the following:

"Alex, I love the way the Carbon sounded at [INSERT_SHOW_ATTENDED_HERE].  I was wondering if you could tell me what cables you used so that I can get the same ones.  Thanks"

Those cables were huge! Personally I'd never buy cables bigger than my…. Anyway, that leaves out a lot of cables in my case....

Jul 28, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #2,511 of 5,932
Quick question for the pros. I've read previously on this thread that the LC performs at its best when headphones are connected through the balanced output.

So am I correct in assuming that the entire rig from iMac to headphones need to be balanced? If so how do I go about that?

iMac-USB-DAC-XLR-Amp-XLR-Headphones?

Jul 28, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #2,512 of 5,932
Imo the dac doesn't need to be balanced, when tried mine switching between the outputs, I couldn't notice any difference but I have no experience with other ones. 

Jul 28, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #2,513 of 5,932
We've already established that the LC has a unique phase splitting function that enables SE (RCA) inputs generally perform as well as balanced connection. It was I that suggested to try balanced input anyway, but just in case your DAC may happen to have a better balanced section than SE; which may really be unnecessary. Also yes, the designer says that this amp amp does give better performance to headphones using balanced haeadphone cables.

Jul 28, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #2,515 of 5,932
We've already established that the LC has a unique phase splitting function that enables SE (RCA) inputs generally perform as well as balanced connection. It was I that suggested to try balanced input anyway, but just in case your DAC may happen to have a better balanced section than SE; which may really be unnecessary. Also yes, the designer says that this amp amp does give better performance to headphones using balanced haeadphone cables.

So my understanding is that if the output to the headphone is balanced then there is a tangible difference to sound quality. Where as there is no difference if the input is balanced or not because of the phase splitter which effectively balances an unbalanced signal.

Jul 28, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #2,516 of 5,932
So my understanding is that if the output to the headphone is balanced then there is a tangible difference to sound quality. Where as there is no difference if the input is balanced or not because of the phase splitter which effectively balances an unbalanced signal.

If you have a DAC you like, and it "only" has RCAs for output.  Then don't sweat it.

On the headphone end, you need to have a balanced cable in order access all the amp's power.

Jul 28, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #2,517 of 5,932

If you have a DAC you like, and it "only" has RCAs for output.  Then don't sweat it.

On the headphone end, you need to have a balanced cable in order access all the amp's power.

I don't have a standalone DAC right now, I only have a Fiio E18 driving my LCD2. I wanted a more serious rig so started upgrading. I'm very curious about the multi-bit tech used on the Yggy and the fact that it'll be trickled down to the Gungir and Bifrost with only the former being a balanced DAC. So if the DAC doesn't have to be balanced, then I can save some money and go for the Bifrost. I'm just waiting for the Schiit event on Aug 15 before I make a decision and given the state of the Aussie $, I want to keep spending to a minimum.

Jul 28, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #2,518 of 5,932
I posted this in the other thread, some here may be interested.

Audio advisor has the Pangea 14se MKII cables on sale. You can get a 1.5 meter cable for 65. 75% off IIRC.

The Pangea uses the Cardas Grade One Copper

They also have the black mamba II rca cables on sale, should anyone be interested.

The Pangea and Black Mamba cables are ALWAYS on sale...that's how Audio Advisor markets them ie. huge fake MSRP and a huge fake discount.
Nothing wrong with the cables but you get what you pay for...nothing more.

Jul 28, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #2,519 of 5,932

This is essentially correct.  Certainly it's been my experience with my testing on the LC, but I only have one balanced DAC to test it with currently.  If I get my hands on more, I'll be sure to update if it makes a difference with other DAC's.

Jul 28, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #2,520 of 5,932
Oh Stillhart, you own a LC now - so why not heat things up around here and give us your own review on it?

Come on Stillhart, I'm sure you can raise the bar from the last review - maybe you can give us your impressions using adjectives or the sound glossary, or comparisons to other amps... or come up with your own review style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back