☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
Jul 18, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #2,221 of 5,932
Then where will you be.
biggrin.gif

Hoping for a second batch or a liquid carbon 2! 
beerchug.gif

Jul 18, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #2,222 of 5,932
I'm in the upper 200's and I ordered within the first two hours. Even for a desirable limited edition amp or watch or anything, 500 is a whopping huge amount. Couple that with the fact that this is a :wink:relatively small community, I'm not surprised that some are still available. But they will sell out. Then where will you be.
biggrin.gif

Yep. Even for super limited edition items such as the FAD LAB I and the Ocharaku Kaede, both of which were limited to only 150 units, it took about half a year or longer for those to sell through. 

Jul 18, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #2,223 of 5,932
Hoping for a second batch or a liquid carbon 2! :beerchug:

What! LC2 already. Tell us the rumors :wink: LC isnt even out yet but I have seen a couple of posts where people are going to cancel their order to free up funds for the new .... Since we ordered So Long Ago it may seem as if we have owned the LC for a while but have just not listened to it lately.

Jul 18, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #2,224 of 5,932
What! LC2 already. Tell us the rumors
wink.gif
LC isnt even out yet but I have seen a couple of posts where people are going to cancel their order to free up funds for the new .... Since we ordered So Long Ago it may seem as if we have owned the LC for a while but have just not listened to it lately.

lol, let's not confuse anybody. 
tongue.gif

Jul 18, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #2,225 of 5,932
What are you guys talking about? I've had mine for the last two months and have been lost in that 'liquid sound'..........................................

#WakesUp!!

Jul 18, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #2,226 of 5,932
Gents, here's a post I made to the other Carbon thread.

Production run seems to be moving along well. Please keep in mind that we have been saying later in August or end of August. I have learned though, that things can still go wrong, especially the first production run of a new product. Let's just keep our fingers crossed that all the various production activities stay synchronized and all the parts continue to get here on time. :smile:

In the meantime, here are photos of the board for one of the last two pre-production units built. This is, almost exactly, what will be inside your Carbons. You can easily see the small smps transformer (yellow) and the larger components in the supply. There is a lot of capacitance in the supply. There is also a large gap between the HV section of the supply and the rest of the components on the board.

Input section is at the back right. Both amps and PS are on top and bottom of board. In fact, all you see in these pics is the left channel. The right channel is identical and on the bottom side. It is the small amps and the fairly small smps that make a balanced, totally discrete linear amp even possible in this size and flexibility and power output. The power inlet is only temporarily attached for test. In actual units it will be mounted to the back panel.

The relays in the center switch the gain and the ones at the back switch the input source.

This post makes me really hot. This is just one side of the board? Just one channel? Haaaawt... I might have to take the case off and just look at the amp for a while. And then customize the case. I'm still putting racing stripes on.

Also, what are the little circle transformers off to the side for?

Jul 18, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #2,227 of 5,932
This is very helpful. Out of curiosity, you say that the BW is not analytical and definitely EC, then talk about its clarity that is typically associated in analytical. Is this to say that this is a warmer more colored amp that doesn't get in the way of the detail? Could you clarify a little?

I wouldn’t say that clarity has a 1:1 relationship with analyticalness.  I always thought that clarity meant little to no background noice/hum/hiss, when you listen you get just the music.  I associate analyticalness with thin sound, lack of timber, and weak response from mid-bass down.   But I did not mean clarity in the normal definition, but tube clarity.  This is a little harder to grasp.

I never really noticed tube clarity that much until I heard the leviathan (OMG good), but since the tango output transformers are extinct I’ll never hear it again.  All tube amps (woo 6, Valhalla 2, DNA strauss, etc <ranked in increasing clarity>) I heard have it to some degree but I was never really able to put my finger on it (by the way the Liquid glass definitely has good tube clarity) until I heard the leviathan then it was clear (no pun intended).  It’s like the someone took the sound and polished it so it has this shine that lets music sparkle.  I know it sounds weird but it’s hard to describe.  Another way I like to think about it is that solid state is like watching an imax movie behind a glass window.  With a good tube amp the glass window is removed

Jul 18, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #2,228 of 5,932
This post makes me really hot. This is just one side of the board? Just one channel? Haaaawt... I might have to take the case off and just look at the amp for a while. And then customize the case. I'm still putting racing stripes on.

Also, what are the little circle transformers off to the side for?

My best guess is that its part of the power supply.  My educated guess is that the incoming power goes to the:
     switch power supply ---> then it's cap buffer to deglitch ---> then fed to the transformers to remove noise ---> amp

However the transformers are closer to the input than the SPS so maybe it goes:
     transformers ---> switching power supply---> positive caps +negative caps---> amp?

Jul 18, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #2,229 of 5,932
Most likely inductors. Does anyone have a better image?

Jul 18, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #2,230 of 5,932
This is very helpful. Out of curiosity, you say that the BW is not analytical and definitely EC, then talk about its clarity that is typically associated in analytical. Is this to say that this is a warmer more colored amp that doesn't get in the way of the detail? Could you clarify a little?

I wouldn’t say that clarity has a 1:1 relationship with analyticalness.  I always thought that clarity meant little to no background noice/hum/hiss, when you listen you get just the music.  I associate analyticalness with thin sound, lack of timber, and weak response from mid-bass down.   But I did not mean clarity in the normal definition, but tube clarity.  This is a little harder to grasp.

I never really noticed tube clarity that much until I heard the leviathan (OMG good), but since the tango output transformers are extinct I’ll never hear it again.  All tube amps (woo 6, Valhalla 2, DNA strauss, etc ) I heard have it to some degree but I was never really able to put my finger on it (by the way the Liquid glass definitely has good tube clarity) until I heard the leviathan then it was clear (no pun intended).  It’s like the someone took the sound and polished it so it has this shine that lets music sparkle.  I know it sounds weird but it’s hard to describe.  Another way I like to think about it is that solid state is like watching an imax movie behind a glass window.  With a good tube amp the glass window is removed

Thanks, that clears things up, pun intended. That is all good news for me as thin has never been my thing, so analytical always scares me. Does the BW have that euphoric/ ephonic tube sound that makes things lush, or does that go away with the clarity?

Jul 18, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #2,233 of 5,932
  I am very curious also, no one really talked about how the HD 800 pairs with the Liquid Carbon. Anyone care to share? 

That is always the question. How will XXX do with the HD 800's. Well, I am curious as well. I mean, I'll know when the LC arrives. But until then Anybody?

Jul 18, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #2,234 of 5,932
Actually a few of us have already said that we liked it with our HD800's...that's is one reason I bought it, BTW.
ph34r.gif

Jul 18, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #2,235 of 5,932
  Actually a few of us have already said that we liked it with our HD800's...that's is one reason I bought it, BTW.
ph34r.gif

Care to elaborate on the Liquid Carbon's synergy with the HD800?

I doubt the Carbon can quite match the smoothness and transparency of my previous Ragnarok, but from what I've read, the Carbon is no slouch in terms of impact and dynamics and may present a more "coloured" but musically engaging signature.

I loved the Ragnarok so my expectations of the Carbon are quite restrained. Can't wait to hear it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back