☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
Jul 16, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #2,193 of 5,932
I'm supposed to receive, tomorrow or Saturday, a set up like this, with adapters for single ended and Pono balanced connectors, from Norne cables for the HE-1000.

Jul 16, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #2,194 of 5,932
Is it really a thing where you can have a balanced cable, and then an adapter at the plug end to make it SE for mobile use? If so, I probably will go this route ^_^

Yes, want me to make you one?  BTW, having a big ol XLR connector into a teeny 3.5mm adapter isn't the most mobile friendly.  :p

Jul 16, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #2,195 of 5,932
  Can you give us some basic characteristic differences that stuck in your mind -  just lasting impressions, not A/B?

For example:
  • SQ Tiering: Are they both or either at the TOTL SQ tier or did one or the other seem significantly superior?
  • Signature: Are they warm, cold, smooth, bassy, neutral, colored, etc.?
  • Pairing: What paired well or seemed like they would pair well? I.E. Audeze only vs. HD800 only vs. both or other great pairings. I found the EC ZD to be extremely good paired with both LCD and HD800.
  • Key Value Points: What was it that made each interesting for you and how did they measure up during the audition?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Liquid carbon (dacs: cypher labs & yggy, headphones: ether, lcd-x, paradox slants)

Transparent- You know how people say that you can’t hear dacs? Bullschiit.  With the cypher labs (lcd-x & slants) this thing was colored, rich, and warm very old school.  With the yggy+ether it was clean and detailed with a strong bass. 

Perfect coloration- this thing while being transparent has a slight coloration that feels just right.  It gives a weight and body to the music that makes it palpable.

Engrossing- hard to say what was causing this but across the board the carbon tried to have the soundstage engross my head.  The y&z was great (high & width) but the x (depth) is still a mystery until I can use my gear. (remember you math plotting skills kids)

Black widow [dac-gungnir, headphones: paradox, hd650 (modded marv mods), code-x, magistrate  Kennerton audio]

Floats like a butterfly, stings like a bee- this amp is quick and detail giving a detailed and layered sound.  This amp is not analytical its definitely a eddie current amp.

Prizefighter jab- the bass is sharp, detailed, and powerful without overpowering the rest of the audio.

Clarity – ever heard the schiit Valhalla 2 tube amp?  You know how the music sounds so clear out of it? Some call this tube clarity.  The BW has more than any solid state I heard. 

Which is better? Need them side by side it was a 1 month gap between listening sessions and I used different tracks.  I bought the carbon if that’s worth anything and I don’t regret it.

Jul 16, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #2,196 of 5,932
Yes, want me to make you one?  BTW, having a big ol XLR connector into a teeny 3.5mm adapter isn't the most mobile friendly.  :p

Might have you make the cable too! I'll pay! Doesn't the LC have the option to make a balanced output to an RSA connector, supposedly smaller and better-Suited for portable? And an RSA->trrs adapter should be smaller too.

Let me know if you have a better idea for your noble.

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #2,197 of 5,932
Might have you make the cable too! I'll pay! Doesn't the LC have the option to make a balanced output to an RSA connector, supposedly smaller and better-Suited for portable? And an RSA->trrs adapter should be smaller too.

Let me know if you have a better idea for your noble.

I was looking into this last night, making a balanced cable for my Noble 4C with a RSA adapter.  The problem is that the only RSA adapters I could find were all right-angled, so it would be pretty wonky when used with a RSA->TRS adapter.  At that point I considered just making two cables: one balanced for use with the LC and one SE for portable use.  Then I wondered how often I was going to sit in front of my desktop amp with CIEM's instead of my HE-560.  Then I lost interest in the subject.

My point is, I still need to do some research on the best solution for my purposes.  We can chat about it offline.

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #2,198 of 5,932
You can make a balanced connector with the connecter RSA uses by cutting off the end and using heat shrink. Simple and the heat shrink covers the right angle plastic that you also cut off. Makes a nice straight connecter. 

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #2,199 of 5,932
  You can make a balanced connector with the connecter RSA uses by cutting off the end and using heat shrink. Simple and the heat shrink covers the right angle plastic that you also cut off. Makes a nice straight connecter. 

Thanks, I may have to give that a try!

Jul 17, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #2,200 of 5,932
Here's to hoping my balanced headphone cable gets here in time. 6-8 week build time and I got it 4 weeks ago. But he did say there were a lot of orders..

Oh, and I guess I need to find a power cable.

Jul 17, 2015 at 5:36 AM Post #2,201 of 5,932
Cool!  Now, back to the business of getting headphones, DACs and cables for our Carbon rigs.  Is everyone all set?

Almost ready, I'm still debating whether to get an balanced cable for my UERM or if I should put it off until later. I decided to add a Schiit Sys into the chain, works wonderfully for switching between amps at a push of a button by the way. Once my Carbon gets here my Play It By Ear will probably be added back into my bedroom rig alongside my CLAS-do and Vali. One thing I definitely need to do is get another pair of Green Line RCA connectors. For those interested, for the time being I've decided to go with an iPad mini as source streaming TIDAL. I'm used to being on a ultra small laptop desk. It feels nice having a wood table with tons of room for gear. So what do you guys think?

Almost forgot, I also have a PSAudio power conditioner under the desk.

Jul 17, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #2,202 of 5,932
I never thought of using ducks to dampen vibrations!  Does that work better or worse than unicorn meat?  
biggrin.gif

Looking good!  What are the two amps there?  

Jul 17, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #2,204 of 5,932
  I never thought of using ducks to dampen vibrations!  Does that work better or worse than unicorn meat?  
biggrin.gif

Looking good!  What are the two amps there?  

I thought they were Peeps.....lol

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #2,205 of 5,932
I can try those ducks on my Lyr 2. should they be matched pair?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back