☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
Jun 7, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #1,816 of 5,932
  Something like this? http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10228&cs_id=1022801&p_id=5285&seq=1&format=2

Exactly, I've tried the more expensive power cables and haven't noticed a difference, I would recomment saving the extra $250 and putting it towards better gear, or just more music. 

Jun 7, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #1,817 of 5,932
  Exactly, I've tried the more expensive power cables and haven't noticed a difference, I would recomment saving the extra $250 and putting it towards better gear, or just more music. 

Agreed I use the Monoprice 14awg power cables for my Yggy and Rag stack, they are fine.

Jun 7, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #1,819 of 5,932
What's everyone planning on for a power cable?  Looking at the ones from signalcable

A $9 Tripp Lite 14awg power cable from Amazon like I use for all my components, hooked up to a Furman power conditioner.

Please don't waste your money on fancy power cables, unless you really find enjoyment in admiring their overkill build and exotic jacketing.

Jun 7, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #1,822 of 5,932
I have a spare computer PSU cord.

Btw, Alex. What power cord did you use on the Carbon at CanJam? It didn't look like your normal power cord.

Jun 7, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #1,825 of 5,932
I won't get into the power cable debate other than to say that it's a safe bet that, all other things equal, THICKER cables tend to sound better.  If you have a choice between Monoprice 16AWG or 14AWG, take the thicker one.  Etc.

Jun 7, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #1,826 of 5,932
I find it interesting that people here have tremendous faith in Alex, some have bought the LC without ever hearing it. But they post about how cables and power cords are a waste of money (the high end kind). Yet, look at the cords Alex listed as likely ones he used with the LC...some of them sell for as much or more than the LC itself. If you think anyone that uses a high end power cord (or cable) is a fool, how does that square with the faith in him as a designer? Think he just throw out HIS money? He's selling LC without a power cord, so he had no motivation to push an expensive one, no?
just sayin'
(truth be told, I have good interconnects, and a power conditioner, but haven't paid much attention to upgrading power cords. But makes me think about it...)

Jun 7, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #1,827 of 5,932
Have you ever heard of placebo effect, I think people just honestly believe they sound better. Ultimately, you just need to try it for yourself and if you feel you get something out of it, then it's worth it. I've tried them myself, and try as I might, couldn't hear any difference for the life of me. 

Jun 8, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #1,828 of 5,932
I find it interesting that people here have tremendous faith in Alex, some have bought the LC without ever hearing it. But they post about how cables and power cords are a waste of money (the high end kind). Yet, look at the cords Alex listed as likely ones he used with the LC...some of them sell for as much or more than the LC itself. If you think anyone that uses a high end power cord (or cable) is a fool, how does that square with the faith in him as a designer? Think he just throw out HIS money? He's selling LC without a power cord, so he had no motivation to push an expensive one, no?
just sayin'
(truth be told, I have good interconnects, and a power conditioner, but haven't paid much attention to upgrading power cords. But makes me think about it...)

I heard a prototype LC with a few different headphones at Axpona. I liked what I heard and so I pre-ordered one. I have also heard many of Alex's other more expensive amps in various setups, and generally like the "Cavalli sound". So it's not exactly blind faith. Many here are well aware of Alex's great work and many have already experienced it by owning one or more of his other amps... thus the tremendous faith. Besides, at only $599 the LC is a pretty damn safe bet, if not a no-brainer :)

On the other hand, many here including myself have also BTDT in terms of experimenting with fancy power cords, and have failed to recognize any benefits. I will admit that I have spent a lot more money than I ever should have on not only very expensive power cords, but also interconnects, headphone cables, and speaker wires. So it was never for the lack of trying. I've made great efforts to justify my expensive cabling acquisitions, but in the end I've concluded that it was money wasted every time. These days, I buy nice-looking but not too expensive braided or sleeved headphone cables, interconnects and speaker cables simply because they look cool and can be visible from my listening position (call me vain lol) but since I can hardly ever see the power cables as they're obscured by their respective components while they gather dust in the rear, I just stick with $9 Amazon-sourced 14awg cheapies because they sound no different than the $800 Shunyata Zitron or the $600 Nordost Heimdall that I'm ashamed to admit I ever wasted my money on. (well not really "wasted" since I was able to sell them on audiogon for almost all my money back). When I had them, I've A-B'd them with the cheapies and even did blind listening tests with the help of my eager-to-help gf when we were bored one weekend. Result: no recognizable difference to both of our ears. For the record, she was only eager to help because she was in shock and at a loss for words when I first told her how much I spent on the Shunyatas and Nordost power cables. She jokingly suggested we try it with our rice cooker to see if we could cook better fluffier rice with a wider soundstage.

Jun 8, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #1,829 of 5,932

`Please, Please no the power cable discussion again. Buy whatever you think is good for you.
darthsmile.gif

Jun 8, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #1,830 of 5,932
 For the record, she was only eager to help because she was in shock and at a loss for words when I first told her how much I spent on the Shunyatas and Nordost power cables. She jokingly suggested we try it with our rice cooker to see if we could cook better fluffier rice with a wider soundstage.

Well, you would have to start with High resolution rice for that to work...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back