☯️ CAVALLI AUDIO ➜ Liquid Carbon Final Production Run!
Apr 8, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #331 of 1,260
Yes, there is a version of JRiver Media Center for MACs!  I prefer to store my rips uncompressed.  The less work the CPU has to do, uncompressing a compressed file, the less it will interfere with playback from a timing/jitter perspective.  Yes, it requires more storage space but, to me, it sounds better.  I used to have all FLAC but re-ripped or converted to WAV using the batch feature of DBPoweramp.

I used WAVs for years but got tired of some DAPs having a hard time with their lack of tags/metadata (had to keep making playlists for each album). Still have lots wav files though (agree on the unwanted compression) and for my older players that don't support FLAC.

Getting back to the Liquid Carbon, during the first run I recall Alex not recommending certain patch cables to connect it. Even with the revised power supply, does Dr. Cavalli still recommend not using RCA out from a DAC to the XLR inputs on the LC (even with very short cables)?

Apr 8, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #332 of 1,260

I used WAVs for years but got tired of some DAPs having a hard time with their lack of tags/metadata (had to keep making playlists for each album). Still have lots wav files though (agree on the unwanted compression) and for my older players that don't support FLAC.

Getting back to the Liquid Carbon, during the first run I recall Alex not recommending certain patch cables to connect it. Even with the revised power supply, does Dr. Cavalli still recommend not using RCA out from a DAC to the XLR inputs on the LC (even with very short cables)?

RCA out from the DAC will be single-ended so would go to the RCA inputs on the LC, not the XLR balanced inputs.

Apr 8, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #334 of 1,260

But they do make RCA to XLR adapters...how does this configuration effect LC performance?

I don't know ... but there'd be no point in using them on the LC when there's that excellent SE input and phase splitter available.

IIRC the previous discussions related to the connection of non-XLR equipped balanced sources such as DAPs, where there is no automatic ground reference available.

It's on my 'to-do' list to explore this further by having a play connecting my Onkyo balanced DAP to the LC, but I've been enjoying listening to both individually too much to bother getting the soldering iron out  
happy_face1.gif

Apr 8, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #335 of 1,260
  If I might ask, do you use JRIVER to rip CD's to FLAC files and also for playback? That would be simpler for myself as I could ditch dbpoweramp and Foo Bar and replace it with just one software product? Appreciate the feedback.

Actually, I've been using it for ripping, cataloguing, and playback through my headphones, and as a streamer to another system in 2nd floor of my house.  Works great.

Apr 8, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #336 of 1,260

I don't know ... but there'd be no point in using them on the LC when there's that excellent SE input and phase splitter available.

IIRC the previous discussions related to the connection of non-XLR equipped balanced sources such as DAPs, where there is no automatic ground reference available.

It's on my 'to-do' list to explore this further by having a play connecting my Onkyo balanced DAP to the LC, but I've been enjoying listening to both individually too much to bother getting the soldering iron out  
happy_face1.gif

Interesting...forgot about the phase splitter.

Apr 8, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #337 of 1,260
Its 1100 cad with usps international priority plus i have to pay tax on top of it... I wish it was a deposit like every other cavalli product but its understandable whu they did it.

Yes, customs charges would probably add another $100 to the price. And you know what? I'm still thinking about clicking that "Add to Cart" button!

Apr 8, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #338 of 1,260
  Do you guys consider this is a better way to rip CD's to lossless files or is iTunes on a MAC just as good (but limited to producing AIFF files instead of FLAC).

For the Mac, XLD (free) is your friend. Not the most stylish user interface, but it does the job well. I also use Metadatics (not free) to correct metadata/get missing album covers.

Apr 8, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #339 of 1,260
Thanks guys. I chose AIFF for it's purity. Although I have heard it sounds the same as ALAC, so a waste of storage I guess. I will check out XLD. I have well over a thousand CD's so it may take a while, LOL. What is really slow is needledrops. Knocking out the White Album right now.
Bay Area? earnmyturns? Cool, I'm still skiing. Hope it doesn't rain too much this weekend at Squaw.

I just plan to use the LC as a headphone amp alongside my Garage 1217 EmberII tube headphone amp. Horses for courses. It will be a lot of fun picking out a state of the art high end planar headphone to pair with it :)

Apr 8, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #340 of 1,260
  Thanks. Bay Area? earnmyturns? Cool, I'm still skiing. Hope it doesn't rain too much this weekend at Squaw.

Let's not derail the thread, but next turn-earning will be far away North of the Arctic Circle in a few weeks. Really looking forward to my Liquid Carbon to show up for some good listening sessions in the dog days of summer. Planning to replace my Alpha Primes by Ether Cs in the meanwhile, and get the DUM XLR cable when the LC shows up. One question I'm wondering about is whether I'll lose a lot if I feed the LC single-ended from a Schiit Bifrost Multibit, which I'm quite happy with. There's always the Gungnir Multibit if I get really obsessed with balanced everything...

Apr 9, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #343 of 1,260
Let's not derail the thread, but next turn-earning will be far away North of the Arctic Circle in a few weeks. Really looking forward to my Liquid Carbon to show up for some good listening sessions in the dog days of summer. Planning to replace my Alpha Primes by Ether Cs in the meanwhile, and get the DUM XLR cable when the LC shows up. One question I'm wondering about is whether I'll lose a lot if I feed the LC single-ended from a Schiit Bifrost Multibit, which I'm quite happy with. There's always the Gungnir Multibit if I get really obsessed with balanced everything...

The answer has a lot more to with the quality of the Bifrost Multibit SE Output rather than the Liquid Carbon SE Input. In other words, the phase splitter is very good on the Liquid Carbon.

Apr 9, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #344 of 1,260

Thanks. Bay Area? earnmyturns? Cool, I'm still skiing. Hope it doesn't rain too much this weekend at Squaw.

I've used the LC & Bimby combo extensively and it is quite magnificent. I think you will be quite pleased. The Cavalli phase splitter tech is quite good.

Apr 9, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #345 of 1,260

A lot of us got obsessed with balanced everything but I have to say that I can hear no difference between balanced and SE connection with my Emotiva DC-1 / LC combo. I believe that once you have a good quality source, whether it's balanced or SE is largely irrelevant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back